Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: User Name "admin"

CrimpOn
Guru

User Name "admin"

A question has come up over in the Orbi "consumer" forum, and it would be useful to know how the Orbi "Pro" product operates:

The administrative account has a fixed user name, "admin".  The user is encouraged to create a complicated password for the administrator, but is not provided a way to change the name from "admin" to anything else.

Does the Pro line allow the administrator user name to be changed?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi CrimpOn,

Unfortunately, we cannot change the username to any of our devices.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi CrimpOn,

Unfortunately, we cannot change the username to any of our devices.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
ShawnC
Apprentice

Technically you can change it via the CLI, but even after a successful "write" it will go back to default after a reboot or power cycle as Netgear has the boot parition locked down.

I get that others have already given the proper answer of "no" to your question, but I just wanted to (fruseratingly) point out that it is entirely possible to do this (as it should be), but Netgear themselves are nto allowing it.

-Shawn C

Message 3 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@ShawnC,

It is already out of our scope once the device has been modified through the CLI and the warranty will be voided. 

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
ShawnC
Apprentice

Absolutely understood... if we break it we cannot expect you guys to support it.. i have no problem with that...

Just please understand that there are limitations in the Orbi (like changing the admin account name) that are ridiculously simple to fix, we just cannot get any traction with netgear to get it done.

The Orbi Pro is being billed as a business class router/security product. The admin account is named "admin" and it cannot be changed. This is a pretty big security flaw. 

Thanks for providing us with info in this forum, I really do appreciate it. But also please understand why we are so frustrated. 

-ShawnC

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements