Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN IOT setup

stevelk9999
Tutor

VLAN IOT setup

Is there a good discussion on VLAN set up with Orbi Pro Mini? 

SXK30B3

1. Like most people, my current setup is a mixture but mostly IOT devices like Amazon Alexa, some RIng cameras,  Flume and energey monitoring ( Sense) and Security system. SXK30B3

2. I wouldl ike to use VLAN 30 to seperate my IOT devices.

3.  If I remove the non-IOT devices from the network and assign my existing network to VLAN 3, will SXK30B automatticaly re-assign via DHXCP to the 192.168.3. X subnet?

4. How do I work across subnets?  e.g. If I want to print from a computer to VLAN 1 to a printer on VLAN3?   Do do get notifications on my smartphone ( attached to VLAN 1) when there is a leak detected on a FLUME, a notification on Ring camera or doorbell etc?

Thanks in advance.  I have seen many discussions using Ubiquiti but it would be great to see a step by step with Orbi.

Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: VLAN IOT setup

@stevelk9999 wrote:

1. Like most people, my current setup is a mixture but mostly IOT devices like Amazon Alexa, some RIng cameras,  Flume and energey monitoring ( Sense) and Security system. SXK30B3

Same for all Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (not the classic Orbi Pro) - nothing specific to this model.

@stevelk9999 wrote:

2. I would like to use VLAN 30 to seperate my IOT devices.

The objective and university style green field security behind is to fully isolate or deny any connections from the IoT network with the potentially risky or outdate IoT from your production network. 

@stevelk9999 wrote:

3.  If I remove the non-IOT devices from the network and assign my existing network to VLAN 3, will SXK30B automatticaly re-assign via DHXCP to the 192.168.3. X subnet?

Whatever IP subnet is defined - by default it might be the 192.168.3.0/24 IP subnet.

@stevelk9999 wrote:

4. How do I work across subnets?  e.g. If I want to print from a computer to VLAN 1 to a printer on VLAN3?

Access routing from the normal network to the ioT network is possible.

Bigger issue are the various discovery protocols in use, e.g. to discover the printers (one is Multicast based discovery ... there can be more).

Even bigger issus is the dicovery of new or factory reset random IoT connected t the isolated IoT network. Most vendors expect the IoT device connected to the same network where your mobile is, being for the initial discovery, being for the further usage, .... 

@stevelk9999 wrote:

Do do get notifications on my smartphone ( attached to VLAN 1) when there is a leak detected on a FLUME, a notification on Ring camera or doorbell etc?

Either the notifications are coming over the Internet (IoT -> cloud -> router -> mobile), or you need to open the access from the IoT network to the normal work network ... but think again (read above) about the objective why you went that way...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@stevelk9999 wrote:

Same for all Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (not the classic Orbi Pro) - nothing specific to this model.

@stevelk9999 wrote:

2. I would like to use VLAN 30 to seperate my IOT devices.

The objective and university style green field security behind is to fully isolate or deny any connections from the IoT network with the potentially risky or outdate IoT from your production network. 

@stevelk9999 wrote:

Whatever IP subnet is defined - by default it might be the 192.168.3.0/24 IP subnet.

@stevelk9999 wrote:

4. How do I work across subnets?  e.g. If I want to print from a computer to VLAN 1 to a printer on VLAN3?

Access routing from the normal network to the ioT network is possible.

Bigger issue are the various discovery protocols in use, e.g. to discover the printers (one is Multicast based discovery ... there can be more).

Even bigger issus is the dicovery of new or factory reset random IoT connected t the isolated IoT network. Most vendors expect the IoT device connected to the same network where your mobile is, being for the initial discovery, being for the further usage, .... 

@stevelk9999 wrote:

Do do get notifications on my smartphone ( attached to VLAN 1) when there is a leak detected on a FLUME, a notification on Ring camera or doorbell etc?

Either the notifications are coming over the Internet (IoT -> cloud -> router -> mobile), or you need to open the access from the IoT network to the normal work network ... but think again (read above) about the objective why you went that way...

Message 2 of 3
stevelk9999
Tutor

Thank you so much.  This was a very helfpul reply.  I will do some trial and error.  It would be great if Netgear or someone would put together a step by step to accomplish this.  You points are well taken.

Model: WNDR3700|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements