Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLAN Issue on Orbi Pro Wifi 6 Sattelite

Olivier_C
Aspirant

VLAN Issue on Orbi Pro Wifi 6 Sattelite

Correct model: not available on the Model list:  SXS80 – Orbi Pro AX6000 Wifi 6

Hi, I've got a VLAN issue on my Orbi Pro AX6000 Wifi 6, regarding configuration replication between router and sattelite.

Corrently I've configured a VLAN for LowPriority clients sush as ioT device and this VLAN is associated with a specific "SSID Orbi-LowPriority".

• When a device is connected to the router through specific SSID, DHCP request get the correct VLAN range.
  • When a device is connected to the satellite through the same specific SSID, DHCP request get the default VLAN range.

I've tried the same device to conenct to the main router by truning off the satellite and it's getting the correct IP range. But when the satelite is back, the VLAN is back to default range.

Is a bug or do you a way to force satellite to synchronise configuration. I've tried sevral things up to exclude statellite and including back in the configuration.

VLAN Issue on Orbi Sattelite .png

Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Salut Olivier,

Not sure - lack or practical Orbi Pro WiFI 6 experience - so wild guessing only.

Different from the consumer Orbi and the Orbi Pro (802.11ax) which does use MAC addresses (L2 handling) for isolating the different networks on each individual component, the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 is VLAN based (on popular demand, for interoperability).

Are we talking about a satellite connected using the wireless backhaul? If yes, it's clearly a bug.

If we talk about a wired backhaul with direct wired connection between the SXR80 and the SXS80, each port used for a backhaul link must be set to trunk mode. Reference: Orbi Pro WiFi 6 User Manual , p.112 "Manage the VLANs".

If we talk of a wired backhaul going over a managed network, on top of the above trunk setting, the VLANs must be configured accordingly, and the trunk ports (connecting to the router and satellite trunk port as indicated above) requires tagging the VLANs. Not sure about the Base VLAN or first LAN/VLAN however, this most likely be untagged, and run on PVID 1 or whatever the LAN 1 VLAN is set to. The issue here does kind of confirm this btw. Querying @YeZ FMI.

Said that - without the trunk config on the backhaul por(s), all outgoing traffic will be untagged, so the DHCP does end on the wrong VLAN (LAN 1), just like all the traffic.

Message 2 of 9
Olivier_C
Aspirant

Thanks schumaku for this quick answer.

You are right, I frogot to mention that the stellite is running with the wireless backhaul, not wired...

Snif... a bug on the V3.1.0.104 firware release.

I will open a  case to the support to see if there is any reference to this issue.

Message 3 of 9
Orbi_ER
Tutor

@Olivier_C - You're not alone in that issue. I'm working through the same challenge with my system and currently have support looking into it. I stopped using the satellite because of it, as it was putting any device connected to it on the default LAN (which I'm not even using in my network setup). I tried it with both wired and wireless backhaul with the same results.

Message 4 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Orbi_ER  @Olivier_C 

We have some known issue around VLAN & Satellite combination. We have fixed this and it will be part of next releases. We can share beta FW if you would like to try. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 5 of 9
ctjacobson
Aspirant

I am also having the same issues. I just updated to the new released firmware 3.1.1.102 and still having the issue. What code is the fix going to be on? How can I get the Beta FW to see if its fixed?

Thanks, 

ctjacobson

Message 6 of 9
JasperC
Tutor

Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (SXK80). Hi. I opened a ticket for this issue on 11/17/20. Support worked with me and on 12/10/20, I was notified that engineering confirmed it is a bug and a firmware update will be released in mid-January. I'm going to try to keep my support ticket open until I have verified that the January updated does correct the issue. 

Message 7 of 9
Olivier_C
Aspirant

Thank you for this update.

Message 8 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Olivier_C / @JasperC / @ctjacobson / @Orbi_ER,

Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Firmware v3.2.0.108 has been recently released.  It fixes the issue where clients connected to a satellite gets the wrong IP address from a VLAN on a WiFi network.  As reference, kindly read the release notes and you can also download it here.   

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements