What are the advantages of the SRK60 over the RBK50 in a high user number congested network?

maltathebear
Follower

What are the advantages of the SRK60 over the RBK50 in a high user number congested network?

I work in retail sales and received two of the new SRK60 Orbi Pros last week.

Today I assisted a customer whose business has 10 different IP phones connected over WiFi via 10 range extenders (10 seperate SSIDs separate from the router, yikes!) and understandably was having a ton of connectivity issues. He also needed much better coverage to boot. He didn't want to install ethernet drops for each phone (all in separate offices), so I came up with two solutions:

1). Install 10 PL1010 Powerline adapters with a hard-line to the router and scrap the wireless entirely. The shared 1Gbps would be plenty for phone purposes and it has all the benefits of a hardwired connection. Office was new construction too so I wasn't concerned about the wiring slowing the Powerlines down.

2). Install an RBK50 to saturate the office with enough coverage and hardware throughput to handle the mess of range extenders he already had. I then made him aware of the "Business Solution" version of the RBK50, the new SRK60 Orbi Pros we had just received.

Ultimately he decided to try both solutions and opted for the SRK60. He asked whether the RBK50 and SRK60 would perform the same, and all I could really reference to as a benefit or the SRK60 in terms of juggling all those extenders was the SRK60's advertised 40-person simultaneous use ability and my guess that the firmware is better adapted for high volumes of individual users.

My question is: Would both have worked the same for this situation, i.e. do they both have the same processing power to muscle through a highly congested, high user network like his?

Thanks!

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System AC3000 (SRK60)
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: What are the advantages of the SRK60 over the RBK50 in a high user number congested network?

10 extenders is a lot. How many square feet (and floors) are you trying to cover?

@maltathebear wrote:

1). Install 10 PL1010 Powerline adapters with a hard-line to the router and scrap the wireless entirely. The shared 1Gbps would be plenty for phone purposes and it has all the benefits of a hardwired connection. Office was new construction too so I wasn't concerned about the wiring slowing the Powerlines down.

I don't think you'll see anything close to 1 Gbps half-duplex.  ~300-400 half-duplex Mbps is probably the best you'd do even with new construction, and likely you'd get a lot less than that on some hops.  That should be enough for 10 Voip phones.

@maltathebear wrote:

My question is: Would both have worked the same for this situation, i.e. do they both have the same processing power to muscle through a highly congested, high user network like his?

The electronics in the SRK60 is pretty similar to the RBK50, so my guess is that they'd deliver similar performance.  They both will outperform traditional extenders because they have a dedicated 4x4 backhaul network.  Mu-Mimo should help them scale better.

The main differences seem to be 

• the SRK60 provides three segmented networks (customer-facing, employee, and management).  The customer-facing supports captive-portal (which is not available in the RBK50).
  • The SRK60 industrial design supports desktop, wall, and ceiling mounting.

Message 2 of 3
NaderA
NETGEAR Expert

Re: What are the advantages of the SRK60 over the RBK50 in a high user number congested network?

Well, first of all, thank you for using our product Orbi Pro. We appreciate your business. 

The use case that you have here is among the advanced use cases where there is a lot of WiFi demand in an environment where there might be some issues with coverage and interference. 

That being said, we are fully confident that ORbi Pro will meet the challenge and exceed the expectations.

Please feel free to reach out, should there be any questions or concerns and we are happy to work with you.

Regards,

Orbi Pro Product Management

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements