Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Which ORBI? AT&T Arris BGW210-700, need wpa3 and bridge, 4000 sq. ft.

Threftlet
Guide

Which ORBI? AT&T Arris BGW210-700, need wpa3 and bridge, 4000 sq. ft.

I have AT&T Arris BGW210-700, need WPA3 and bridge, 4000 sq. ft. I need bridging because my new HP printer lets me choose either Wi-Fi or ethernet, not both. I figured I can bridge to my RG's wired network if I disable Wi-Fi on the ARRIS and set the ORBI to let the ARRIS assign the DHCP addresses, correct?

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

The ARRIS ATT Arris BGW210-700 is a WiFi equipped 802.11bgnac 400mW Bonded VDSL2 Wireless Voice Gateway 4 x Gigabit Ports (ONT REQUIRED)

You have an AT&T subscription and Internet connection contract and a former AT&T two wire phone connection with an ONT?

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Threftlet wrote:

I figured I can bridge to my RG's wired network if I disable Wi-Fi on the ARRIS and set the ORBI to let the ARRIS assign the DHCP addresses, correct?

Nope. Stick with the AT&T documentation, no guess and play. 

Message 3 of 7
Threftlet
Guide

I don't have a 2wire. The 2wire was replaced by the Arris some time ago. In other words I'm not sure I understand your question about phone service. I don't use wireless for phone service related to the Arris RG. Phones can connect to Wi-Fi for data, maybe reinforcement for cellular, but the Arris is used for Digital Home Phone, which was formerly an analog land line. That phone config provides cordless service, not wireless.

Message 4 of 7
Threftlet
Guide

Thanks. The service schema I outlined in no way contradicts instructions provided by AT&T's documentation. I did it for years with an Apple Airport Extreme (bridging Wi-Fi to DHCP provided by the RG, no Wi-Fi provided by RG), but now that Airport Extreme is no longer an active product, my intention is to replace it. I'm looking for a robust Wi-Fi mesh system. I have two alternatives: bridging to RG's DHCP as I did with the Airport Extreme, or using the replacement system as extenders for the RG's Wi-Fi. Does that provide the explanation needed?

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

it contradicts to any normal network design. You talk to an network engineer here dealing with the fastest real IP networks in the area and used to deal with 100GbE/40GbE/25GbE/10GbE the subject Orbi systems can handle 10 GbE, 5 GbE, 2.5 GbE wired backhaul and performing wireless backhaul connections on 5 GHz 1GbE/25GbE/10GbE/on SMB and home networks, doing  and just released from the hospital following a brain surgery having to read about bridged WiFi - seriously, this is something ATT offers to the poor customers over there? Sorry, i can't develop much (read: any) motivation for such a **** design. This is like to put the cart before the horse. this is why there was no future for Apple networking. 8-)

Message 6 of 7
Threftlet
Guide

Thanks for your help. Sorry to hear that you required brain surgery, I hope recovery is quick and complete!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements