Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WiFi 6 Ceiling Satellites?

LlamaLarry
Luminary

WiFi 6 Ceiling Satellites?

My SRR60+2xSRC60+RBS50Y setup has been working fine, but every now and then I start looking at the newer WiFi 6 offerings.  Will there be a WiFi 6 ceiling mounted sat to replace the SRC60s?  

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: WiFi 6 Ceiling Satellites?

Sadly netgear doesn't release early info on devices or firmware. You have to wait for the official announcements. 

There are mounted insight devices that can be setup as a mesh if you use the insight subscription. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Sadly netgear doesn't release early info on devices or firmware. You have to wait for the official announcements. 

There are mounted insight devices that can be setup as a mesh if you use the insight subscription. 

Message 2 of 4
LlamaLarry
Luminary

I am just surprised that there isn't already a ceiling mount version available.  The SRC60 is dead sexy and works great.  The SXS80 looks clunky and wall mounted looks ridiculous.  Does it even support PoE?

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@LlamaLarry wrote:

The SXS80 looks clunky and wall mounted looks ridiculous.  Does it even support PoE?

What's the point of deploying (overhyped) mesh system components on a network with PoE switches, with bunches of disadvantages? One expensive radio reserved or shared for a wireless backhaul you don't need everywhere in the house; a router which must be located at a central point to cover the wireless satellite (if any), a router probably configured to plain AP mode because one does use a better featured small business security appliance anyway, ...

Netgear has nice WiFi 6 APs availabe - WAX61x, WAX620, WAX630, WAX630E fully ceiling mountable, MutliGig (up to 2.5 Gb/s) Ethernet, - and where required (lack of network cabling) one or a few AP can be configured as wireless satellites associated to much better located Insight APs using Insight Mesh.

FWIW, the SRC60 is essentially a WAC540, too - in a different enclosure, same FCC ID, and Orbi Pro firmware.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements