Get Orbi Pro now

Orbi Pro Support

Login to discuss Orbi Pro

Wifi -6

AllanA
Guide

Wifi -6

Having invested in several of these units and satellites over the last year or so, and spent a fair amount of money in the process, I have to ask if there will eventually be firmware updates to these routers/satellites to allow them to utilize wifi-6?

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Wifi -6

The change from wifi 5 (AC) to wifi 6 (AX) wasn't just a firmware change. It was a hardware change.  

You can't simply "upgrade the firmware" to suddenly have wireless AX capability. 

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 2 of 4
AllanA
Guide

Thanks for the response.

It's not an absurd question. Moving between WFI standards doesn't necessarily require a change in hardware. Since NetGear is currently selling Orbi Pro  is (802.11ac) it's well within reason that the upcoming release of Wifi-6 (802.11ax) could utilize the hardware in the current model. A firmware flash is conceivable for higher wifi speeds unless there is a required change in hardware. So far I haven't read anything to suggest hardware has been changed but I do have a fair investment in the 802.11ac tech. If there isn't an upgrade path wifi 6 many will wait until RIO is at least met on the existing equpment.

Difference only  between Cat 5, 5e and Cat 6 copper isn't the copper just the number of twists per inch.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Moving from wireless AC to wireless AX does require a hardware change. 

Sorry. 

CM2000-> RAXE500-> GS716v2-> WAX218-> EX8000
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements