Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will several Orbi routers improve coverage?

MIchaelH95
Aspirant

Will several Orbi routers improve coverage?

Will additional routers improve coverage?  Can they be on network with one password?

Thanks

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: Will several Orbi routers improve coverage?

routers or satellites? 

You can add more satellites to have them integrate with your current systems. 

Message 2 of 7
MIchaelH95
Aspirant

Thanks for your time, I was once very skilled at computer technology, but I got left behind.

Our problem is the distances between router and satellites.  I am wondering if having a router serving the addition and a router serving the original building is the correct solution. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

What size is your home?

What distance are you planning on?
you can use a lot of satellites especially if you're using triband orbi. 

Message 4 of 7
MIchaelH95
Aspirant

Thanks again, I gather up the info and get back to you.

Michael

Message 5 of 7
MIchaelH95
Aspirant

Finally got a quiet moment.

The area we need to cover is:

From our primary switch to the farthest point is just over 200 ft with a width of 160 ft.  At the 150 ft mark along the length our education wing make an "L" that is three stories tall with a length of 80 ft and width of 40 ft.  There is currently a hard wired router in hallway where the ed wing tees.

What I have not learned is do the satellites link?  Will we need an second router at the "L"?

Thanks every so much!  I am sure someone would be willing to design a new WiFi system for us.  I want to get caught up with the technology and save the church some money.

Thanks again,

Michael

Message 6 of 7
JohnD333
Apprentice

Michael,

More questions than answers below but they will help me and others provide better guidance so you do it right the first time.

Only one router per system.

Your Nighthawk 6E router (see descriptor below) has strong wi-if capabilities, but 3 stories it cannot handle. Because of your Nighthawk router, you will be looking to buy one or more “access point” hardware devices. Some such devices are dedicated, other such can be configured to be either a router or access point.

Eithernet wire between the router and these new access points would be best if you can get Ethernet wire further into your wings/floors. Access point devices can be 100% wireless, but preferred is wired.

This is why I ask where your GS17T switch is located and where ethernet wiring goes from there.

Current setup:
CM2000 is Modem from internet->

Ethernet cable goes where? And how far before it reaches the Router?

There should not be any devices between the modem and router, just the un-spliced ethernet wire connection.

RAXE500 is NETGEAR Nighthawk 12-Stream WiFi 6E Router (RAXE500) | AXE11000 Tri-Band Wireless Speed (Up to 10.8Gbps) |New 6GHz Band | Coverage up to 3,500 sq. ft, 60 Devices
->

How many outbound cables from router?
How far does each go?
What is the furthest point cable(s) outbound now go towards your desired training wing spaces?

->GS716T-> Netgear 17 port switch. Is this switch located closer to your desired training wing than the router location? Do any outbound cables from this switch go further into your training wing/floors than the outbound cables from the router? Are there any empty ports now?

Hopefully answers will provide clear path forward.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements