Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless mesh setup - advice

evolver
Follower

Wireless mesh setup - advice

Dear community people,

I was hoping that I could get your advice here with choosing the right Netgear equipment for a yoga retreat community. They currently have a 4G 70 Mbps mobile broadband and need to cater up to 60 users when at full capacity. Being located in a rural area there's is no other way of accessing internet. I had a chat with a Netgear support agent about Nighthawk mesh extenders and they also suggested Orbi Kits. My biggest concern, especially with Orbi Pro is the cost and associated risk in case the signal for whatever reason doesn't extend to rooms at the far ends (Orange color). Can this be extended further with another standalone extender (non Orbi satellite)? I'll also be happy to receive any other advice that you may have.

The retreat consists of the main double storey concrete building with rooms in the left and right wing. The wings are around 50m (175 feet) each so total wifi span should be 110 m, 350 feet with the main building and router being in the middle. The walls between the rooms are made of some sort of boards (not concrete/brick). There's also some ethernet cabling from the main building to some of the rooms. I was planning to have one main Orbi Pro router on the top floor of the main building, one satellite on the ground floor of the main building and then 2 satellites in each wing. Total 1 router and 5 satellites. Does this sound right? 

Thank you all for your time. Much appreciated.

floor plan.jpg

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @evolver,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

My biggest concern, especially with Orbi Pro is the cost and associated risk in case the signal for whatever reason doesn't extend to rooms at the far ends (Orange color). Can this be extended further with another standalone extender (non Orbi satellite)? I'll also be happy to receive any other advice that you may have.

One (1) Orbi Pro router (SRR60) can now support up to seven (7) Orbi Pro satellites which is either the Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) or the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60).  Be reminded that the firmware of the Orbi Pro devices should be updated to the latest firmware version. 

Notes:

• The Orbi Pro WiFI System is NOT compatible to pair with the Orbi Home WiFi System
  • The Orbi Pro WiFI System is NOT compatible to pair with non-Orbi Pro satellite (3rd party device)

The retreat consists of the main double storey concrete building with rooms in the left and right wing. The wings are around 50m (175 feet) each so total wifi span should be 110 m, 350 feet with the main building and router being in the middle. The walls between the rooms are made of some sort of boards (not concrete/brick). There's also some ethernet cabling from the main building to some of the rooms. I was planning to have one main Orbi Pro router on the top floor of the main building, one satellite on the ground floor of the main building and then 2 satellites in each wing. Total 1 router and 5 satellites. Does this sound right? 

An Orbi Pro router and Orbi Pro satellite pair can cover up to 5,000 square feet.  Each additional add-on satellite (either the Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite [SRS60] or the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite [SRC60]) can cover up to 2,500 square feet.  Again, one (1) Orbi Pro router (SRR60) can now support up to seven (7) Orbi Pro satellites.  As reference, kindly access the article below:

How many square feet does my Orbi Pro cover?

The Orbi Pro WiFi System supports both daisy-chain topology and ethernet backhaul:

• With the support of daisy-chain topology, this allows an Orbi Pro satellite to connect to another Orbi Pro satellite or to the Orbi Pro router. This increases the reach of the system and is especially useful for cases where a long stretch of space needs WiFi coverage.
  • With the support of ethernet backhaul, this allows Orbi Pro satellites to connect to the Orbi Pro router using an Ethernet cable. The benefit of this feature is hard to penetrate areas such as thick concrete walls or walls with metal studs or when the router might be on the ground floor and the satellite needs to be on the second or third floor and there is an Ethernet cable already in place and could act as the preferred backhaul.  

To know more about the specifications of the Orbi Pro router (SRR60), Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) and the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60), kindly access their respective data sheet below:

Orbi Pro router (SRR60) Data Sheet

Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) Data Sheet 

Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60) Data Sheet

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @evolver,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

My biggest concern, especially with Orbi Pro is the cost and associated risk in case the signal for whatever reason doesn't extend to rooms at the far ends (Orange color). Can this be extended further with another standalone extender (non Orbi satellite)? I'll also be happy to receive any other advice that you may have.

One (1) Orbi Pro router (SRR60) can now support up to seven (7) Orbi Pro satellites which is either the Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) or the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60).  Be reminded that the firmware of the Orbi Pro devices should be updated to the latest firmware version. 

Notes:

• The Orbi Pro WiFI System is NOT compatible to pair with the Orbi Home WiFi System
  • The Orbi Pro WiFI System is NOT compatible to pair with non-Orbi Pro satellite (3rd party device)

An Orbi Pro router and Orbi Pro satellite pair can cover up to 5,000 square feet.  Each additional add-on satellite (either the Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite [SRS60] or the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite [SRC60]) can cover up to 2,500 square feet.  Again, one (1) Orbi Pro router (SRR60) can now support up to seven (7) Orbi Pro satellites.  As reference, kindly access the article below:

How many square feet does my Orbi Pro cover?

The Orbi Pro WiFi System supports both daisy-chain topology and ethernet backhaul:

• With the support of daisy-chain topology, this allows an Orbi Pro satellite to connect to another Orbi Pro satellite or to the Orbi Pro router. This increases the reach of the system and is especially useful for cases where a long stretch of space needs WiFi coverage.
  • With the support of ethernet backhaul, this allows Orbi Pro satellites to connect to the Orbi Pro router using an Ethernet cable. The benefit of this feature is hard to penetrate areas such as thick concrete walls or walls with metal studs or when the router might be on the ground floor and the satellite needs to be on the second or third floor and there is an Ethernet cable already in place and could act as the preferred backhaul.  

To know more about the specifications of the Orbi Pro router (SRR60), Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) and the Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60), kindly access their respective data sheet below:

Orbi Pro router (SRR60) Data Sheet

Orbi Pro Add-on Satellite (SRS60) Data Sheet 

Orbi Pro Add-on Ceiling Satellite (SRC60) Data Sheet

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements