Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

outdoor satellite

wifiblues
Luminary

outdoor satellite

hi - just purchased the RBK752 and I know that the RBS50Y has to be set up in Extender Mode - here is my question - When I go outdoors after the set up, will the satellite seamlessly carry the wifi signal or will it switch to the Extender network?

thanks...wifiblues

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 43
plemans
Guru

Re: outdoor satellite

it'll depend on your device and its own roaming protocol. The device (laptop/pc/phone) are what decides when to switch between access points. 

Message 2 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks Plemans,

another question -this time regarding the Extender network set up for the RBS50Y to use with RBK752 - do you have a guide on the steps for setting up the Extender set up?  

currently, I am using the RBS50Y in Orbi mode with my RBR40.

Message 3 of 43
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

hi all,

help!

I am trying to switch the RBS50Y from Orbi mode to Extender mode.  Read and followed the directions several times.  No luck.  It will not switch out.  I recently upgraded to the RBK752 and it is up and running.  Do you think that is the issue as to why the outdoor router will not switch?  I am puzzled and cannot figure it out.

any thoughts?

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 5 of 43
plemans
Guru

whats actually happening? 

Did you try factory resetting it and then switching it over?

Message 6 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

here is a description of what happens -

I plug it in - in the same room as the RBK752 router - push the sync button - push and release the powerbutton - the bottom lights up white then lights up blue - after i see the blue light - i release the sync - both lights are solid rather than pulsing - after i release the sync button, the bottom starts to try to sync to the router.  now it is pulsing white - after a while it flashes magenta and stays magenta.  

i have reset it a few times.

any suggestions?

Message 7 of 43
plemans
Guru

After its went solid blue, it needs to be setup. its in extender mode and not orbi mode so it needs to be setup like a standard extender. 

So if you do a wireless scan, you should see a netgear_ext name. Connect to that with a pc/laptop and go to www. mywifiext . net

Message 8 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

thanks for the help!

after it turns solid blue and i release the sync button, after what seems like a few seconds, it starts flashing white.  But i think you're suggesting that it is in Extender mode just before it starts blinking or flashing white?  

Message 9 of 43
plemans
Guru

you hold the sync on power up ontil it pulses white and then blue. Then release

It'll pulse blue for a period while it switches. 

Once its solid blue, its in extender mode. Thats when you connect to it to set it up. 

If you wait to long it'll go to magenta as its "failed to connect" but if you didn't log into it to set it up, it didn't have anything to connect to. 

You should still be able to connect to it for setup while its magenta

Message 10 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

you hold the sync on power up ontil it pulses white and then blue. Then release - I get this far...

It'll pulse blue for a period while it switches. - CANNOT GET TO THIS STAGE - it pulses white then magenta.

Once its solid blue, its in extender mode. Thats when you connect to it to set it up. 

If you wait to long it'll go to magenta as its "failed to connect" but if you didn't log into it to set it up, it didn't have anything to connect to. 

You should still be able to connect to it for setup while its magenta

Message 11 of 43
plemans
Guru

What firmware is installed on it? 

Message 12 of 43
plemans
Guru

is it broadcasting a wifi signal at all?
Message 13 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

Before I did a reset - by holidng down the reset button - it had the latest firmware available.

i am not sure how to tell if it is giving off a wifi signal.

Message 14 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

yes, it is giving off a wifi signal - scanned my laptop and it appears as a network

Message 15 of 43
plemans
Guru

Can you connect to it? 

What is its wifi name?

Message 16 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

the wifi name is Orbi32.  I tried to connect to it using the password listed on it but my laptop would not connect.

i mentioned this before, i reset the unit back to the factory settings.

this is totally frustrating!

Message 17 of 43
plemans
Guru

Try a 30/30/30 reset. 

If it switches to extender mode, it should be the netgear_ext.  I just tested it on mine to confirm.

30/30/30

push and hold reset for 30 seconds while powered on. 

Then power it down for 30 seconds while still holding reset

then power it on for 30 seconds while still holding reset

Then try switching its modes. 

if on boot up its white, its in orbi mode. 

If on bootup its blue, its extender mode. 

Maybe its not fully clearing out on the reset. 

Message 18 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

first off, thanks for hanging in there with me.  

i did the 303030 and getting the same results - Orbi32 shows up as an available wifi network but the password is not accepted.  

after the 303030 - i tried to switch it out of orbi mode but it did not switch.

it does not change out of Extender Mode.  

must be something else going on.  

Message 19 of 43
plemans
Guru

You put both that it doesn't change out of orbi mode and then later that it doesn't change out of extender mode. 

What mode is it booting up in? 

Do you have your old system there you could sync it to?

Message 20 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

that was a typo - it does not change out of Orbi mode - it does not go into extender mode.

i have the RBR40 which was my previous router - it was synced before i changed to the new router.  there is some water in the unit - but it works still so i'd be surpised if that is the root.

anychance you want to facetime?

Message 21 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

i reset it; i did the 303030; i reset it again. there must be either an issue with the unit or an issue with the user (me)

right now it is on and the bottom is solid white.  

at this point, what else can i do?

Message 22 of 43
plemans
Guru

Does the RBR40 still work? 

Are you able to sync it with the RBR40? 

You can log in and check firmware that route. 

I remember there was a way to check if the extender firmware was loaded. but I don't remember the exact address that was needed to check it. 

Maybe @FURRYe38 has ideas or remembers or knows a way to ensure the extender firmware was loaded 

Message 23 of 43
wifiblues
Luminary

i still have the RBR40 and it does still work.  Here is my question about that - if I switch the RBR40 router for the RBR750 router, do i have to go through the Orbi app and set it up as a new system?  

Message 24 of 43
plemans
Guru

You don't have to switch out the 750 system. 

Just boot up the RBR40 (without internet) and sync the RBS50y back to it. Then you can log into it and check firmware or other issues. 

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements