Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

sxr30 - wireless speed

ghstudio
Apprentice

sxr30 - wireless speed

I have installed an AX1800 WiFi Mesh Router (SXR30)  and a wired backhaul #XS30 on 500/500 internet.  Connecting a computer with an ethernet cable to either box and doing a speed test, I get 500/500 which is what I expected.  Connecting my ipad to the Satellite on 5g from 6ft I get 500/500.  Connecting to the router from 6' I get 275/275.

I repeated the test without the satellite and reloading the router with default values....tried the same connection using the same computer.....again 275/275.

From my testing (latest firmware on everything), it appears that the SXR30 is unable to provide full speed 5g wireless....

I believe that's either a design flaw....or a limitation of the router that is not documented or perhaps (and hopefully) a setting that isn't documented.

Note: this has nothing to do with maximum wireless speeds or location of devices....I've tried the router alone in multiple locations and I've been able to connect wirelessely on 5g to other routers and run full speed.  I am in a rural location...so not dealing with interference.

Is there a solution.....or is this indeed a flaw/documentation "error"?

Would the SXR50 with it's dedicated backhaul allow 500/500 on 5g at the router or does it have the same design?

As an aside but perhaps related....there appears to be no way to change the 5g channel although it shows a drop down box.  Shouldn't there be a way to change the channel??? 

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ghstudio
Apprentice

Re: sxr30 wireless design (flaw or undocumented info) - wireless speed

ignore this entire thread....user error.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

If the satellite works fine and the router is slow as you describe, I'd be a bit suspicious of the router having an antenna that got loose in shipping/or wherever you bought it from. I've got that setup and my SXR is pretty rock solid in speeds.

If its brand new, I'd exchange it where you got it from as its faster than going through netgears RMA. 

Message 2 of 6
ghstudio
Apprentice

interesting idea.....I'll take a look.

Message 3 of 6
ghstudio
Apprentice

ignore this entire thread....user error.

Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it wasn't the device but can you go over what error it was specifically? 
Might help someone else with this issue

Message 5 of 6
ghstudio
Apprentice

Re: sxr30 - wireless speed

The router was just acting like a wired access point.  I didn't understand (not sure I do even now) how to actually install it uisng a wired backhaul.  

I'll document fully when I complete my, now thorough, testing.  There are still a few mysteries I'd like to understand....

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements