Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connection/Registration to Amazon Alexa Fails

EBashkoff
Follower

Connection/Registration to Amazon Alexa Fails

My Orbi Voice was working fine for 8 months, but then  I had a problem in that the device lost its connection to  Amazon Alexa.  After 3 Netgear support sessions that did not result in a fix, I was able to figure out the problem was that I had turned on MultiFactor Authentication (MFA) on my Amazon account.  I found that  if I turned off MFA on the account, I was able to connect the Orbi Voice to  my Amazon account.  However, I still wanted to keep the  MFA turned on in my Amazon account, and I will describe how to do that here.

In the Amazon documentation, it says that you can use either  your phone's SMS or the Google Authenticator app to get the 6 digit verification code that must be used during the 2 factor login process.  When registering the Amazon account with Orbi Voice, you go to  "Network Map" and tap on the Orbi Voice satellite.    Then go to "Details" tab  -> Amazon account and follow the sign-on process. Before this sign-on you must make sure that you do not have any app on your phone that already has an established auth token since you want the Orbi app to direct you to a fresh Amazon login page with username/password which will not be the case if the Orbi app sees you are already logged in with another app.  Once you have the username/password page.

Type in your Amazon username as usual, but for the password you need to type your password and  the 6 extra digits from the  verification code.  So if your password is "my_secret" and your code is 654321, you would type my_secret654321  into the password field and login.  The rest of the process should just work now. 

I have attached the instruction from Amazon to detail what you need to do  n the "Legacy device Sign-In method."

I hope this helps someone else since it took me several hours to ultimately get this working correctly.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7