Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Voice unable to control volume or tone controls

rrossi59
Initiate

Orbi Voice unable to control volume or tone controls

I have an Orbi Voice set-up.  All works well except the ability to control the volume or tone setting on the Sattelite Speaker.  I have the device set up to use Amazon Alexa and it works fine, except the issues above. I also have the Orbi app on my smart phone.  It too can not contol the volume or tone.  It has worked in the past but it eventually reverts back to a non working state for volume and tone controls.

Has anyone experienced this? If so, do you have a fix?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 50
adowiak
Aspirant

My Alexa was responding to volume controls also, but jus stopped.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 50
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @rrossi59 and @adowiak

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

- May we please know the firmware version of the router and satellite? A new firmware was recently released for RBS40V. Kindly check if you have the latest firmware installed (2.3.5.6). Here's the link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBS40V.aspx#download

- What version is the Alexa app and Orbi app? 

- Are there other services affected aside from the volume control? 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 50
Larryf6666
Initiate

Yep exactly the same problem can’t change the volume up or down & the volume is so quiet basically it’s unusable. 

Message 4 of 50

@Larryf6666 wrote:

Yep exactly the same problem can’t change the volume up or down & the volume is so quiet basically it’s unusable. 

How are you changing the volume?

Voice? "Fingers"? App?

They all work here.

Message 5 of 50
frankieg73
Initiate

I have the same problem.  Unable to control voice satellite volume either in the Orbi App, or the Alexa app, or the touch control on the satellite. The volume controls do not exist in either app and the physical volume control on the satellite produces no volume changes. The sound control settings (bass, treble) exist in the apps but do not produce any change in audio. Satellite firmware V 2.3.5.6, Router firmware V 2.3.5.30, Orbi App V 2.3.7.622, Alexa App V 2.2.283059.0

Message 6 of 50
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @frankieg73

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 50
tommyday
Tutor

I unplug the device, then plug it back in to get the volume functioning again.  This is just a workaround.  The volume function should not fail, but Orbi Voice is glitchy.  I have the latest patches.  Even when it works, the volume slider is not smooth when adjusting volume.

Message 8 of 50
Razorback92
Initiate

Have the same issue here.    Speaker function is somewhat unusable.  

J

@frankieg73 wrote:

I have the same problem.  Unable to control voice satellite volume either in the Orbi App, or the Alexa app, or the touch control on the satellite. The volume controls do not exist in either app and the physical volume control on the satellite produces no volume changes. The sound control settings (bass, treble) exist in the apps but do not produce any change in audio. Satellite firmware V 2.3.5.6, Router firmware V 2.3.5.30, Orbi App V 2.3.7.622, Alexa App V 2.2.283059.0

Message 9 of 50
Carnold1978
Aspirant

Hi, same here. Just bought the rbk50 with the voice satelitte. Alexa's volume is waaay to high. Can't get the volume level to go down... Help!!!
Message 10 of 50
Speedtorque
Aspirant

Yeah I'm getting the same issue where all volume controls stop functioning. A reboot gets it working again but that's not an acceptable solution given this happens every couple of days. I keep updating the firmware, currently on 2.3.6.4. please fix this Netgear. Thanks!
Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite, RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 11 of 50
Hsrancourt
Tutor

I am having the same issue. Volume control on Orbi satellite does not work. No volume control available for Alexa or Orbi app. Also changes made to equalizer setting do not register. Please advise how to fix this. My Router firmware is v.2.5.1.8 and my satellite firmware is 2.3.6.4. App says firmware is up to date.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 12 of 50
yesdalo
Guide

Did you were able to fix it?

Message 13 of 50
tommyday
Tutor

No, I returned that junk and bought the Netgear Nighthawk AX12.
Message 14 of 50
Speedtorque
Aspirant

Not completely, I have retired mine to a less prominent location (in the study) whilst the original location now has an Orbi satellite and an Echo Show. The Amazon product is much more stable and seems to understand commands easier. Whereas the Orbi Voice can be sat beside me in the quiet study and I find myself repeating commands a lot. Occasionally I find the Alexa function is not working and I need to restart it to restore this feature. However, it it stable as a satellite.

It's a great idea for a product but poorly executed and massively overpriced. What a shame...
Message 15 of 50
kevin3151
Initiate

I too just bought the orbi voice speaker and updated to the latest firmware. I am having the same problems in May of 2020 long after this thread was started. Apparently software updates arent fixing it.

Volume control intermittently stops working requiring a reboot.   This one is a big problem!

Also

Alexa Communication features dont work.

It wont work as a multi room spekaer

There is no way to output sound to another device or input sound from another device.

Message 16 of 50
rrossi59
Initiate

Yep. I got rid of mine.
Message 17 of 50
Imdfnman
Aspirant

I also am having issues with volume control. Satellite router portion works perfect but when playing music I always lose the ability to change the volume. Cannot control with all, finger or voice. If i unplug and reconnect it starts working again but will eventually stop every time. Running most up to date software v2.5.1.2....please help as I spent a lot of money for this and this is very inconvenient
Message 18 of 50
malpractice
Aspirant

I just purchased the Orbi router with satellite containing Alexa speakers.  The volume control does not work.  Sound is too low to be useful in the room that it is in.  Sorry I discarded packaging or I would return.  Router is great but speaker on satellite is useless.  This thread has gone on long enough fo Netgear to have fixed this.  Very disappointed.  

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 19 of 50

@malpractice wrote:

The volume control does not work. 

The touch control does not work?

Message 20 of 50
malpractice
Aspirant

Thanks.  I have several Alexa dots where volume is voice controlled.  I did not realize there was a lever control.  It works fine.  Problem solved.  

Message 21 of 50
arthur-m
Tutor

I too had had the issue of Orbi Voice loosing all volume control, both by hardware slider or tell Alexa to Turn It Up! It has 2.5.1.2, as I am wary of updating its firmware to 2.5.1.6. Its connection status is Good.

Message 22 of 50
MidnightExpress
Initiate

Stargate Log 15 August 2020.  Firmware V2.5.1.6 has done nothing to fix the volume control on Alexa.  This is probably why Netgear was selling these for $99.  They are a great satellite for the Orbi System but they suck as an Alexa.

Keep trying Netgear, this problem has only been going on for 2 years now

To anyone reading this for a solution, just keep rebooting it to make it work for a while and just wait for Netgear to fix it.

Message 23 of 50
Mstrbig
Master

Find the IP address of the orbi voice. in your browser type 192.168.1.xx<- the ip adress/debug.htm, example 192.168.1.15/debug.htm and try Upgrade Touch Board Firmware.

Message 24 of 50
yesdalo
Guide

Finally!!! After almost a year with this problem that fixed the touch!!!!
Message 25 of 50
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7