Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbie Voice "a Zombie"?

CrimpOn
Guru

Orbie Voice "a Zombie"?

This morning I discovered that devices connected to my Orbi RBS40V were not responding. I find the situation confusing and seek suggestions about how to diagnose the problem.  There has been no change in RBS40V firmware (2.6.2.4) since January.

• The Orbi web interface Attached Devices shows the connection as "WiFi 5G" and "Good".
  • The Orbi "app" shows a green dot.
  • Both the web interface and app show devices connected to the RBS40V.
  • satelliteinfo wifi shows both transmit and receive rates as "866" (as high as possible).
  • The power LED is green. BUT....
  • The RBS40V web interface does not connect.
  • The RBS40V does not respond to ICMP (ping).
  • Those devices that Attached Devices says are connected to the RBS40V do not respond to ping and are unresponsive. (four IP security cameras that are now "offline".)
  • Telnet to the RBS40V times out, rather than connecting or being rejected.
  • Firmware Update shows the RBS40V firmware correctly (2.6.2.4) and says, "No new firmware available".

It is really annoying that Attached Devices and the "app" report the RBS40V connection as "Good" when it obviously is NOT GOOD.  It is especially frustrating because the satellite is mounted "up high" in the garage to give it a clear line of sight to the RBR50 router.  (makes messing with it inconvenient.)

I have power cycled the RBS40V. No change.

Performed a Factory Reset, which made the satellite disconnect from the RBR40 router.  Did a successful "Add a satellite", and Attached Devices/Orbi app again report it is "Good", but nothing has changed.

I'd be willing to manually load older firmware, but not being able to access the satellite web interface makes that impossible.

Any ideas what else I can try?

Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbie Voice "a Zombie"?

Did you try tftp or nmrpflash to load an older firmware? 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@plemans wrote:

Did you try tftp or nmrpflash to load an older firmware? 

Not yet. Two of the four IP cameras have "connected".  Still cannot ping them, but they stream video to my desktop.  The same brand of IP cameras that are not connected to the RBS40V ping.

Trying to decide between:

• Flashing the current RBS40V firmware,
  • Flashing the previous RBS40V firmware, or
  • Finally giving up on 2.7.2.104 on the router and loading... (what?)

Thanks for the suggestion about nmrpflash.  I have not used it before.

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

I've used nmrpflash before. works pretty well when I've needed it 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements