Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBS40V incompatible with Verizon issued Orbi Router and Satellite (long story)

Dr_Kelso
Follower

RBS40V incompatible with Verizon issued Orbi Router and Satellite (long story)

Hi all - this has been an extremely bad experience for me. I bought the Orbi Router and Satellite directly from Verizon (FiOS) because they told me that one purchased from Netgear would not be compatible with the Verizon system, so I ended up paying an extra 50 bucks for the system. It works fine. Last May I saw Netgear offering the Orbi Voice at a discount, so I checked with Verizon and Netgear to make certain that it would be compatible. Both told me there would be no issue so I bought it. Attempted to set it up last May without success, then life got in the way. Tried again in November before Thanksgiving and the Netgear agent said I'd be contacted within 24 (or 48) hours - it didn't happen. Tried again this new year and have been getting the runaround. Both Verizon and Amazon say that it's up to Netgear to provide a solution/workaround, but Netgear wants to blame Verizon. The Orbi app shows that the Orbi Voice satellite is connected (green dot) but when I say "Alexa" it tells me that the Orbi Voice isn't registered. I had 2 agents from Netgear register it, but it didn't make a difference. The problem seems to be that the Orbi app is supposed to have a voice command area but it doesn't appear on the screen with my Orbi app (and I've uninstalled, reinstalled, factory reset...everything...several times).

Last night I had the Verizon rep put me on a conference call with a Netgear agent, but they decided it was best to leave it to today when I was to get a call from the Verizon agent and the Netgear level 2 guy - neither happened. 

The explanation seems to be that Netgear wants the firmware version on the router to be V2.2.1.210 and Verizon's Orbi Router has the "latest" up-to-date version as 2.14.16...and neither Verizon or Netgear is taking responsibilty for the discrepancy. Amazon and Verizon both say it's up to Netgear to find a workaround. Netgear has ghosted me - the 2 case numbers I am working on are not "recognized" and the level 2 agent who was to call me tonight at 7 did not call and has not responded to any follow-up requests.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I had the Verizon rep try to help me update the firmware to the 2.2.1.210 but it was an .img file that wasn't accepted by the Verizon Orbi router.

Help?

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 2
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: RBS40V incompatible with Verizon issued Orbi Router and Satellite (long story)

Hi @Dr_Kelso

Welcome to NETGEAR Community!

How did you setup the Orbi Voice Satellite? Is it in Orbi mode (Satellite) or Extender mode? Please set it up in extender mode:

How do I set up my Orbi Voice in Extender Mode?

https://kb.netgear.com/000061088/

Kindly PM me as well the support case number for me to track the case status. 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7