Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[RBS40V] wired connection drops daily

BLam
Tutor

[RBS40V] wired connection drops daily

I've had an RBR50 (router + double satellite) setup for a few years, and I just recently bought an RBS40V Voice Satellite to put in my room, which is about 21m (70 ft) away from the router.

It works fine until, at some point during the day, it will disconnect for about a minute before reconnecting again. This only seems to happen for the wired connection, because I'm able to connect wirelessly through my laptop/phone when the wired connection fails. By default, there's no light when the satellite is functioning properly, but there's also no light when the Ethernet fails. I've tried a few different Ethernet cables, so those aren't the issue unless every one I tried is defective. I tried updating the satellite's firmware and factory resetting all devices, but those also didn't fix the issue.

Running 2.6.1.40 on the router and all satellites. Already contacted support and they said there should be no hardware issue.

I saw on some Amazon reviews that some people had the same issue, so I was just wondering if anyone else who has this satellite has had similar issues.

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
BLam
Tutor

Re: [RBS40V] wired connection drops daily

Alright, I totally forgot to give an update to the situation (sorry).

I setup a wired connection from the RBS40V to the router, and while I couldn't monitor it 24/7 for disconnects, that seemed to have solved the issue. I guess the distance I had it before was too much, and there were too many walls the signal had to go through, causing the intermittent disconnects. 

I ended up going back to a range extender, and it has been working fine since. Thanks for the suggestions!

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

you have it connected via a 70ft cable? 

Or is the ethernet ran through the walls with wall jacks?

Is there also a switch in there? 

How often is it dropping? 

If its frequently enough, I'd test it by just direct connecting it to the primary orbi with a 6ft cable. this makes sure its not a switch, wall jack issue. 

Message 2 of 10
BLam
Tutor

I have it connected as a wireless backhaul 70 ft away.

The satellite does not have a switch connected to it.

It used to drop daily, usually at night, but it's dropping less now after I factory reset the router. 

I'll connect it directly to the router if it crashes again.

Thanks for response

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

have you tried moving it at all? 

30ft is the minimum distance but 70ft might be to far. 

Message 4 of 10
BLam
Tutor

I've moved it 20 ft closer (so 50ft from the router) -- didn't fix the issue. I've thought that, while where I've placed it so far have been acceptable distances, the signal might break due to the number of walls (3 or 4) it has to go through to get to the satellite. 

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

what are those walls made of?

Certain materials like plaster lathe, adobe, brick, metal, concrete, plus some more block wifi to an amazing extent. 

Message 6 of 10
BLam
Tutor

The walls should be made of some type of wood, but I think the more important factor is that some of these walls are incredibly thick (like potentially room sized thick). 

I've been able to get consistent good signal strength, despite being a little far from the router. I tested the speed on one of the RBS50 satellites, and it got the same speed as the router, even though it's even farther than 70ft away

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Room sized walls? LIke several feet thick????

wifi passes through wood better than concrete but the thicker it is, the more it blocks. 

something else to keep in mind is the RBS40V uses a 866mbps backhaul versus the rbs50 has a 1733mbps backhaul (connection back to router) so the rbs50 will be more tolerant of for more distances. 

Message 8 of 10
BLam
Tutor

I can't really see through the wall, so they're either several feet thick, or there's just open space in that area. But I don't think the wall affects my speed much. 

The signal has been consistent after I factory reset the router and started everything from scratch. I'll report back if I get signal interruptions again over the next few days.

Message 9 of 10
BLam
Tutor

Alright, I totally forgot to give an update to the situation (sorry).

I setup a wired connection from the RBS40V to the router, and while I couldn't monitor it 24/7 for disconnects, that seemed to have solved the issue. I guess the distance I had it before was too much, and there were too many walls the signal had to go through, causing the intermittent disconnects. 

I ended up going back to a range extender, and it has been working fine since. Thanks for the suggestions!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7