Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBS40v Adapter for NZ

advidesilvaNZ
Follower

RBS40v Adapter for NZ

Hi Everyone, 

I was hoping for some assistance with choosing a new power adapter for the RBS40V. I live in NZ and the adapter I had just packed up. Is there anywhere I can go for spare parts for this sort of thing?

I found a few (potential solutions), but I'm worried if they don't have the correct output that they might fry my smart speaker. the plug says the output is 19V 3.16A, but then also unsure in regards to the connector as apparently this is different to other netgear products? 

Exact match for the output req's, just not sure about the connector:

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NBPOEM19351/Samsung-OEM-Notebook-AC-Power-AdapterCharger-19V-3

This one has a few options, but still unsure:

https://www.jaycar.co.nz/5-19-5v-dc-45w-power-supply-7dc-plugs/p/MP3319

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 5

As long as it delivers the right volts and enough amps with the right polarity (+/-), and the tip fits, any adapter will do.

The manual says:

"All regions (output): 19V, 3.16A DC output"

Something that comes with interchangeable tips would be good.

45 watts is a bit on the underpowered side.

19 X 3.16 is nearer 60 watts.

Message 2 of 5
Tansan
Aspirant

Hi, did you manage to find a solution to finding a replacement orbi voice power adapter for NZ?  I live in NZ and just bought my Orbi voice online from USA and have found that the voltage on the adapter is 120v input and not 240v which is NZ voltage rate.  So the orbi voice power adapter is only suitable to be used in the USA.  I am wondering if I should buy a step down transformer to plug the 120v power adapter into it to make it compatible with NZ 240v ac current or if another solution or power adapter can be found to use as a replacement for the Orbi Voice power adapter? Did the PBtech or Jaycar adapters work for you? 

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 3 of 5

@Tansan wrote:

I live in NZ and just bought my Orbi voice online from USA and have found that the voltage on the adapter is 120v input and not 240v which is NZ voltage rate.  So the orbi voice power adapter is only suitable to be used in the USA. 

Many people, including me, have found that the adapters labelled 120 V are really multivoltage. They will happily work on 240 V without going bang. I have various Netgear devices doing just that.

Try the adapter with nothing connected to it. If it survives the shock, then you should be safe. If it does blow up then you have only killed a useless transformer

Message 4 of 5
Tansan
Aspirant

Hi, I tried plugging it in no problems. Then I found it worked for a while while I was setting it up then it stopped working and I found the transformer was hot and was dripping a clear substance on the transformer unit when pulling it out of the wall outlet. I let it cool down and replugged into another wall outlet hours later and found that power is not being transferred to the orbi voice at all as I can't turn the orbi voice unit on. So no step down currency converter will work for me as the transformer is not working. Hopefully the orbi voice is not damaged and it is just the transformer that is defective. I suppose the only option for me is to go to an electronic supplies shop and see if I can find an another ac transformer adapter and plug with the correct output voltage to replace the original orbi ac transformer. Does anyone know if netgear produce a AC240v compatible transformer for this unit? I assumed that since the orbi RBS50 units I bought online from the USA have transformers with multi voltage worldwide support and worked for me in NZ that the Orbi voice would offer a similar multi voltage transformer. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7