Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to install RBS40V-200 to existing network (RBR50 + 2 satellites)

GrantFaulkner
Follower

Unable to install RBS40V-200 to existing network (RBR50 + 2 satellites)

I've spent a day trying to figure this out with no luck.

I bought an Orbi Voice RBS40V-200 to add to my existing Orbi network (RBR50 + 2 satellites). Note this is the -200 version, not the Orbi-only RBS40V. I was planning to buy the RBS40V, but then I got a special offer through the Orbi iOS app for the -200 version, so I went with that, since the description says it works with any wifi network, including Orbi. It arrived yesterday, and I haven't been able to get it to connect at all.

When I plug in the RBS40V-200, it goes through it's normal startup sequence, and then Alexa announces "Hello, your Orbi Voice is ready for setup. Follow the instructions in the Netgear Nighthawk app."

Trying to add it as a satellite in the Orbi iOS app doesn't work, nor does connecting it via the web brower interface.

I don't normally use the Netgear Nighthawk app, since I don't have any Nighthawk equipment, but I downloaded the Nighthawk iOS app to see if I could connect that way. To my surprise, after I logged in, the Nighthawk app WAS able to apparently able to see the Orbi Voice, and the screen comes up "Extender Not Set Up". If I continue through the next setup screens, it asks me to join the wifi network "NETGEAR_EXT". However, this isn't a network visible to any of my devices, so it's unable to connect and continue setup.

I am about to give up and send this thing back. Do I just have the wrong unit? Should I have gone with the Orbi network-only version???

For what it's worth, my RBR50 is running firmware V2.5.0.38. I have no idea what firmware the RBS40V-200 is running, as I haven't been able to get it to connect yet.

Thanks in advance for any insight. 

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Unable to install RBS40V-200 to existing network (RBR50 + 2 satellites)

You probably have it in extender mode and not orbi mode. I'd switch it over to orbi mode if you're installing with the existing setup. here's the install guide. 

www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V-200/RBS40V-200_QSG_EN.pdf

To change the mode on your Orbi Voice to Orbi mode or Extender mode, do the following:
1. Power off your Orbi Voice by pressing the Power On/Off button. 2. Press and hold the Sync button on your Orbi Voice. 3. While holding the Sync button, press and release the Power On/Off button (don’t release the Sync button). Your Orbi Voice powers on. 4. Continue to hold the Sync button. 5. Wait for the Orbi Voice’s ring LED to pulse blue and white, then release the Sync button. If your Orbi Voice is switching to Extender mode, the following LED behavior occurs after you release the Sync button: • Pulsing blue. Your Orbi Voice is changing to Extender mode. The LED pulses blue for a few minutes. • Solid blue. Your Orbi Voice is in Extender mode and is ready to sync with your router. If your Orbi Voice is switching to Orbi mode, the following LED behavior occurs after you release the Sync button: • Pulsing white. Your Orbi Voice is changing to Orbi mode. The LED pulses white for a few minutes. • Solid white. Your Orbi Voice is in Orbi mode and is ready to sync with your Orbi router.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7