Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new RBS40V connects to existing RBR50 router RBS50 satellite as extender rather than 2nd satellite

j_janicki
Tutor

new RBS40V connects to existing RBR50 router RBS50 satellite as extender rather than 2nd satellite

My new RBS40V connects to my existing RBR50 router RBS50 satellite network as an extender rather than 2nd satellite.

It all seems to function OK but I have to use two different apps to manage the network (orbilogin.com for the satellite(RBS50) and mywifiext to manage the extender(RBS40V))

The firmware on the new RBS40V is 1.0.0.36 which is fine for an extender but I thought I was getting a second satellite when I recently purchased the RBS40V.

My question is how can I get the firmware on my new RBS40V to be 2.3.5.14 which I believe would then connect as a satellite rather than an extender.

Any thoughts would be appreciated to help get this extender to show as a second satellite.

Thanks

Model: RBS40V|Orbi Voice Add-on WiFi Satellite and Smart Speaker
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: new RBS40V connects to existing RBR50 router RBS50 satellite as extender rather than 2nd satelli

this is from the rbs40v-200

2nd generation. Not sure which one you have. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: new RBS40V connects to existing RBR50 router RBS50 satellite as extender rather than 2nd satelli

you can log into the rbs40v and manually install the orbi firmware. 

Not sure exactly when its in extender mode but I know in orbi mode you log into the ip address and then firmware update, browse to the extracted firmware (orbi version), and upload it. 

Message 2 of 8
j_janicki
Tutor

Hey,

Thanks for the interest.

When I put the RBS40S ip into the URL of the browser it kicks me into the Netgear extender logon page which fails when I try to manually browse to the 2.3.5.14 orbi satellite FW and update it.

It is hard for me to believe there is any hardware difference in the RBS40V just the firmware that makes it a satellite or extender.

By the way I also tried setting the RBS40V back to the factory default which is 192.168.1.250 and direct wire into  the RBS40V but it also kicks off the Netgear extender logon page which fails the manual update.

Thanks again

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

try this from the quick start guide. 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBS40V-200/RBS40V-200_QSG_EN.pdf

Change the Orbi Voice mode
To change the mode on your Orbi Voice to Orbi mode or Extender
mode, do the following:
1. Power off your Orbi Voice by pressing the Power On/Off
button.
2. Press and hold the Sync button on your Orbi Voice.
3. While holding the Sync button, press and release the Power
On/Off button (don’t release the Sync button).
Your Orbi Voice powers on.
4. Continue to hold the Sync button.
5. Wait for the Orbi Voice’s ring LED to pulse blue and white, then
release the Sync button.
If your Orbi Voice is switching to Extender mode, the following
LED behavior occurs after you release the Sync button:
• Pulsing blue. Your Orbi Voice is changing to Extender
mode. The LED pulses blue for a few minutes.
• Solid blue. Your Orbi Voice is in Extender mode and is
ready to sync with your router.
If your Orbi Voice is switching to Orbi mode, the following LED
behavior occurs after you release the Sync button:
• Pulsing white. Your Orbi Voice is changing to Orbi mode.
The LED pulses white for a few minutes.
• Solid white. Your Orbi Voice is in Orbi mode and is ready
to sync with your Orbi route

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

this is from the rbs40v-200

2nd generation. Not sure which one you have. 

Message 5 of 8
j_janicki
Tutor

WOW! Nice Find...... My Quick Start that came w/ the RBS40S had none of that.

It worked great and I now have a second satellite, the RBS40S.

After it switched to satellite mode I started the orbi app in my browser, did the ADD Orbi Satellite menu selection and watched it succeed, then watched it auto-update the firmware to 2.3.5.14.

Everything is good!

Thanks a bunch.

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it worked for you!

Message 7 of 8
j_janicki
Tutor

Thanks again for your help!

Currently am listening to a music stream off my Amazon prime and the sound is pretty darn good thru the RBS40V satellite.

Have a great day!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7