Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 960 Firmware V6.3.7.5 No more CTS/RTS Setting

Amirlit
Guide

960 Firmware V6.3.7.5 No more CTS/RTS Setting

In the past, you could find the CTS/RTS settings for wireless under Advanced, Advanced, Wireless settings. But now its not there! Any idea how to find it or change in the new Firmware?

Message 1 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Probably NG changed to be all automatic now. Same goes for Beamforming, Daisy Chain and Fast Roaming.

Also was told 64 is optimal value by NG unless you have more then 3 RBS deployed. 

Message 2 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

Maybe. But I have Devices that won’t connect now and they used to. And the fix was changing those values. So I need to know how to change them.

Does anyone know how to change them with this new firmware?

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

IF they are not in the UI any longer then there isn't any way to change them as the feature has been removed from user access. 

What devices do you have that are not connecting? 

How is the RBRs wifi settings configured? 

Are you using the IoT or separate SSID networks at all? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 4 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

Take a look at this older thread I posted with a description of my problem and the solution I implemented based on recommendation (which worked)

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/IoT-and-Mesh-Satellites/td-p/2209220

Happy todo a new solution if there is one out there. But none of my IOT devices are connecting right now.

Amir
Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What devices do you have that are not connecting? 

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 

What happens if you turn OFF the RBS. Set IoT network for no WPA security, set it to NONE. DO any devices connect to this network? 

Please provide feedback to the questions presented so we can get a better idea of your configuration. 

Message 6 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

OK, let me copy/paste from the previous post.

1 have 1 router and 2 satellites. They are probably ~30ft apart but separated by floors and some thick walls (one of them is in the garage). I have an old Carrier Infinity Thermostat. I setup my IoT Wi-Fi for 2.4gz only. and also some external lighting. They were all connected to the same IoT 2.4gz connection pre-firmware update. Initially i had problems connecting, I disabled AX model for the 2.4gz and I also changed the CTS/FTS Threshold to 2347, per the previous post that I posted on this thread. Those 2 things worked! and I was able to connect all my devices to the IoT SSID. 

Now I updated the firmware and did a full reset of the Routers/Satellites. And now, these same devices can not connect again. Are we literally saying the only solution is a full shutdown and reboot? 

I cant believe they took these settings away...

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are being used on the RBR? 

So disabling AX mode still doesn't help? 

Try disabling wifi security temporarily on the IoT network on the RBR and see if any of the IOT get connected here? Re-enable WPA2 and AES on the IoT network.

Try turning OFF the RBS as well and let the devices connect to the RBR. 

Message 8 of 17
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Amirlit ,

Thank you for your post!

I understand that you are having issues establishing a connection between your Orbi mesh network and your IoT devices. Please change your wireless IoT settings to 2.4Ghz only then connect your IoT devices to your network. 

Please navigate to the link below for instructions on how to configure your IoT network:

https://kb.netgear.com/000064270/How-do-I-change-the-Internet-of-things-IoT-WiFi-band-on-my-Orbi-WiF...

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 9 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

Please PLEASE read the full thread before posting things like this.

Amir
Message 10 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

So i turned off both my RBS but there is NO WAY to set the password to null. I have tried blank, and as you suggested, NONE. But it states im not hitting the default minimum password. I changed the password to something simple like 11223344 and still not able to connect. 

Additionally, even though I've sort of answered all these questions in other posts, I'll try again to summarize.

Devices that cannot connect are:

Inifinti Gen1 Thermostat

HBN Wi-Fi outlet

And I havent tested others. I will say my personal Iphone 13 does connect to the IoT Wifi

My Wifi RBR Config is attached in the screen shot

I am using IoT network and seperate SSID's for all networks

Home size is ~2400sq/ft

Distance between routers is < 30 ft but speerated by 2 floors and walls (one is in the garage)

I have done a full power-off process. No luck

I have disconnected both RBS, no luck. 

And unless anyone else has any idea's, I'm going to down grade the firmware.

Once again ,I'l ask. Does anyone know ANYWAY to change the CTS/RTS settings in this latest firmware?

Amir

Any other ideas?

Message 11 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

You don't happen to have another or older wifi router handy would you. Something I've done with some IoT wont or can't connect thru normal or by other means, grab a 2.4Ghz wifi router and set it up using same SSID name and PW as you have on the Orbi system. Use this 2nd router to get the devices connected to it. Once connected, just power OFF the 2nd router, the wifi devices should and will auto migrate and connect to the Orbi SSID name and pw. 

Message 12 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

No, I decided to just stop this nonsense. I reverted back to the previous build and...MAGIC! It all started working again. Thats really really REALLY scary. This is < $1000 device. For that amount of money, it should not get WORSE with new firmware. Now I'm scared to death of updating again to even another newer build. I wasted HOURS tshooting this stupid problem. They need to address this ASAP. Its truly UNACCEPTABLE.

Amir

Message 13 of 17
Mikey94025
Hero

@Amirlit wrote:

In the past, you could find the CTS/RTS settings for wireless under Advanced, Advanced, Wireless settings. But now its not there! Any idea how to find it or change in the new Firmware?

I had not noticed that the CTS/RTS advanced setting was removed in the latest AXE firmware 6.3.7.5.  Thanks for calling that out.  Thankfully my legacy devices still seem connected to my IoT network that is set for 2.4Ghz only, WPA2-PSK [AES], and AX is disabled for 2.4Ghz. 

Message 14 of 17
TaeRon
Initiate

I am having similar issues with this update. I have Twinkly Xmas lights that are acting up now. I too previously manually set my CTS threshold to fix other issues with devices. I just spent 2.5 hrs this AM resetting and resyncing the Orbi and satellites (RBRE960). I’m going to give it a day or so and see if I have issues again. And try your suggestion about rolling firmware back.

The weird thing with this update is I never applied it- I just noticed the new firmware when troubleshooting the problems today. Needless to say I turned off auto-updates. I spent a small fortune and the firmware is worse than a windows update!
Message 15 of 17
Amirlit
Guide

1000% agree! Given the amount of money we paid. And the distance of time between the original firmware and this (at least a year), I would of expected significant improvements, not degradation! They really need to fix this asap!
Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tired disabling AX mode on 2.4Ghz? 

@TaeRon wrote:
I am having similar issues with this update. I have Twinkly Xmas lights that are acting up now. I too previously manually set my CTS threshold to fix other issues with devices. I just spent 2.5 hrs this AM resetting and resyncing the Orbi and satellites (RBRE960). I’m going to give it a day or so and see if I have issues again. And try your suggestion about rolling firmware back.

The weird thing with this update is I never applied it- I just noticed the new firmware when troubleshooting the problems today. Needless to say I turned off auto-updates. I spent a small fortune and the firmware is worse than a windows update!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7