Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX 4200 best Installation in 4 level home

maccabout2
Guide

AX 4200 best Installation in 4 level home

Just bought the AX4200 wifi 6 system with 2 satelites for improved wifi quality in my 4 level home (including concrete basement). Internet router is currently in the basement, next to the internet box from the service provider.

Where should I move the internet and Orbi router to for best performance?

Where should I install each satelite for best coverage given there is wifi activity on all floors?

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: AX 4200 best Installation in 4 level home

That generation of homes tends to be a bit challenging as a lot of them were built with plaster lathe on the interior walls. Tended to have metal in the plaster and do an excellent job of blocking wifi. Not sure about your place or if it was remodeled at all. 

But I'd try several positions to see what works best. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 11

All Replies
plemans
Guru

there's not a simple answer for you. 

In terms of the router, the best location is centrally located. Its not always the case since you have 2x satellites. 

In terms of the satellites. Sometimes you have to play around with them as objects in the walls/ceilings can block signal. 

When I first started using mesh, I would setup the system and leave it for about a week and then move the satellites around. Each time I would test each location to see which was th best. The good thing is you only have 2 satellites to move around and test. I tested from 1 to 4 satellites and did a lot of moving around. It took a while. 

So there isn't a simple answer other than to try different locations to see what works best. 

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡
https://kb.netgear.com/000061709/Where-should-I-place-the-Mesh-WiFi-satellite-of-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-W... 📡

@maccabout2 wrote:

Just bought the AX4200 wifi 6 system with 2 satelites for improved wifi quality in my 4 level home (including concrete basement). Internet router is currently in the basement, next to the internet box from the service provider.

Where should I move the internet and Orbi router to for best performance?

Where should I install each satelite for best coverage given there is wifi activity on all floors?

Message 3 of 11
maccabout2
Guide

My home is 4,000 sq ft over 4 levels (including basement). Built in 1920.

There will be at least 30 feet between the router and the various satelites, each satelite on a different floor (1st and basement). The satelites will each be at opposite ends of the house on different floors.

2nd, 1st and basement will be diagonally opposite from each other in each case. No plans of having any satelites on the 3rd floor.

Message 4 of 11
plemans
Guru

That generation of homes tends to be a bit challenging as a lot of them were built with plaster lathe on the interior walls. Tended to have metal in the plaster and do an excellent job of blocking wifi. Not sure about your place or if it was remodeled at all. 

But I'd try several positions to see what works best. 

Message 5 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

I was surprised to find a distinct "shadow" in terms of WiFi coverage in a 1928 home. Then discovered that the original brick chimney from the basement heating ran up through the entire house, enclosed in a drywall chase. (The coal chute on the side of the house should have been a clue.) The house was converted first to oil and later to natural gas.

Message 6 of 11
maccabout2
Guide

Thanks plemans for the suggestion.

Message 7 of 11
maccabout2
Guide

The home situation you describe is exactly like mine.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

If you have plaster lathe, then good luck. It might take some decent testing to determine the proper placement. It can cause backhaul issues and because of it I've seen people use moca adapters (ethernet over coax) or powerline connections to connect the satellites. 

Message 9 of 11
maccabout2
Guide

I left the internet provider's router in its original place and worked with testing different places for the 2 satellites for max coverage. That did it. Thanks.

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7