Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000 Orbi RBK853 wifi disconnects

J-dawg83
Guide

AX6000 Orbi RBK853 wifi disconnects

Hi there 🙂

I'm at the point where im almost pulling out my hair haha

My setup is as follows:

Network Terminating Unit - supplied by ISP (CABLE)

My personal router - D-link DSR 1000AC

Orbi connects to the above router LAN port 1

Orbi setup went smooth but then realised WIFI was dropping in and out. I was watching my phone as I was sitting next to one of the satellite speakers and could see the signal drop by half, then disappear and then my phone would switch to 4g. Sometimes its stable for an hour or two then i see it dropping in and out again.

I have been in touch with support who suggested changing the channels and MTU etc but nothing has fixed this. The firmware is up to date.

I also ruled out my personal router as being the issue by removing it and setting ORBI up as the main router. That also worked fine but could then found WIFI signal was still dropping out on the satellites. The WIFI from the main ORBI router seemed stable as far as I could tell. 

Any other tests I can do here. Is there a way to tell which router/satellites are dropping out?

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
J-dawg83
Guide

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

I have tried a lot of things now, none seemed to have work... after 4 solid days of trying to work this out, I have given up and requested refund. I have now switched to Unifi routers which work a dream around my property. I'm not sure why Orbi was so difficult, would have thought an off the shelf product would be more plug and play given the price tag. Software was also rather average, disappointing 😞

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
J-dawg83
Guide

One thing i did forget to mention, I am running ethernet backhawl

Oh and its a RBR850 not RBR853

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

What firmware is on the router and on the satellites?

Message 3 of 10
J-dawg83
Guide

Hey mate 🙂

All 3 including router are sitting on V4.6.3.16

Message 4 of 10
plemans
Guru

You might try the newer version of firmware. Supposedly there was fixes for backhaul issues. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk852.aspx#download

I'd recommend updating the satellites first and then the router. 

Sometimes a factory reset after the update can help as well. 

Message 5 of 10
J-dawg83
Guide

Thanks for that! A factory reset of all devices including router?

Message 6 of 10
J-dawg83
Guide

Also, should I use my AP mode instead of Router mode when using my own router? I hadn't done this as I know it removes access to the ORBI admin area.

Message 7 of 10
Chuck_M
Mentor

If you are using the router provided by your ISP, your Orbi should be set to AP mode. 

You should also try and disable the wireless in your ISP's router so that Orbi is the only device providing wireless in your home.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

what router do you have (from your isp)?

Not all of them are decent and some you have to follow different guide to fix the double nat. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions. Not all isp devices function properly in passthrough mode. 
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 9 of 10
J-dawg83
Guide

Thanks everyone for trying to help.

I have tried a lot of things now, none seemed to have work... after 4 solid days of trying to work this out, I have given up and requested refund. I have now switched to Unifi routers which work a dream around my property. I'm not sure why Orbi was so difficult, would have thought an off the shelf product would be more plug and play given the price tag. Software was also rather average, disappointing 😞

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7