Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satellite

FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satel

If your sending it back for return, then you don't need to be concerned about the RBS as it don't be around to connect. 

Message 51 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

Re: AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satel

But I was wondering how it works between RBR and RBS. Where is the security if RBS syncs automatically to RBR? When you buy a set RBR/RBS they connect by default?
Message 52 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

No they don't. 

Message 53 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Hello,

I reset factory the RBS as you said.

Then I turned on the RBR, then turned back on the reset factory RBS. The RBS did sync automatically to the RBR. Is the RBS in the config file so that the RBR will recognize it and sync aumatically? How can I get rid of him? By reset factory the RBR and start the config from scratch?

Thanks

Message 54 of 100
Dd852
Luminary

The sync password survives the resets - I’ve seen this too. I’m not sure it matters much - the chance of your repaired unit ending up at a neighbors house is minimal! If you really want to zap it, turn off the satellite. In the advanced options on the web GUI there’s an option to change the sync settings. Do that while the bad satellite is off. Then you’ll have to resync your good satellite with the base. Then you’re clean. But as I say not really that necessary.
Message 55 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

In wireless settings of the RBR I changed the backhaul password when the RBS (satellite) was turned off, following the reset factory. RBS still managed to sync after turning on and is part of my network. RBS is of course wireless backhaul. No idea how to get rid of it.

Message 56 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

When you send it back to NG, the RBS will be fully cleared and probably go thru re-testing and evaluation. Just Turn OFF the RBR, Factory reset the RBS. Power it OFF and package it and ship it off. Turn ON the RBR and continue to use. 

Message 57 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

There could be an issue on the RBR too. Not sure what is going on here.

Message 58 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Netgear Support exchanged my satellite (RBS). It does not change anything to my issue.

I have no internet on the guest network when I connect throught the satellite. My devices are all properly connected to the satellite (i see that on both RBR and RBS gui) but I get the following message when browsing the web:

Safari could not open the page because the server stop responding or Safari can't open the page xxx.com because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server xxx.com

I guess the last thing to do is to check another RBR...

Message 59 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do that too...

@philoouu wrote:

Netgear Support exchanged my satellite (RBS). It does not change anything to my issue.

I have no internet on the guest network when I connect throught the satellite. My devices are all properly connected to the satellite (i see that on both RBR and RBS gui) but I get the following message when browsing the web:

Safari could not open the page because the server stop responding or Safari can't open the page xxx.com because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server xxx.com

I guess the last thing to do is to check another RBR...

Message 60 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

I got the new RBR but no change to my issue.

When I connect wireless devices to the wired backhaul Satellite on the guest network, they will connect properly but internet will not work. Safari can't establish a secure connection to www.xxx.com

What is really weird is that after a factory reset of the RBR I am able to create a configuration where the guest network will work correctly with wired backhaul satellite. I am saved this config (config A). After modyfing the IP range, the problem will appear. If I go back to the orginaly IP range or put back the config A, it will not work anymore. This is extremely confusing. It looks like the Guest Network on the wired backhaul satellite is only working after a factory reset and no important modifications of the parameters.

What is you idea?

I will talk to the Support to ask them to put me on contact with an Engineer. They must investigate it more seriously at some point.

Is there an Netgear Engineer on this forum willing to give his opinion?

Message 61 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the initial IP address string your using that works, then what is the address string your changing to when it stop working? 

Message 62 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for helping!

I changed from 192.168.1.1 (default set-up) to 10.0.1.1 as you can see in the picture.

Before changing I saved the working config. When I restore this working config, I still have the issue; it looks like something changes on which I have no control There is no way to have access to detailed logs so no idea what is going on.

Message 63 of 100
Mikey94025
Hero

@philoouu wrote:

I changed from 192.168.1.1 (default set-up) to 10.0.1.1 as you can see in the picture.

Before changing I saved the working config. When I restore this working config, I still have the issue; it looks like something changes on which I have no control There is no way to have access to detailed logs so no idea what is going on.

After you make these changes, are you also restarting the devices connected to the Guest network and are they getting 10.0.0.x addresses?  You may also need to forget the old Guest network and connect again after change the Orbi's IP address range.

Message 64 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for help.

Of course I have disconnected Wifi then reconnected. I have also done Forget Network on the Guest Network of my Iphone and even did reboot the Iphone.

As you can see on the picture, I am connected to the guest network 192.168.2.4 and the router (for the guest part) is 192.168.2.1. 

I am very well connected to the wired backhaul satellite on the guest network but internet is not going through. This is more a DNS issue I would think.

This is my impressions:

- there are some DNS issues as 192.168.2.1 is not distributing at all the web addresses. Nothing is reachable but I am connected to the network itself and I can confirm it on the GUI too. It is as if there is no DNS for the satellite guest network basically. DNS access has been blocked for some reasons.

- I have read other threads on the guest network issues and apparently something was hard coded a few months ago for security reasons. I am wondering if the device I have is the same as yours. No access through telnet makes it very difficult to understand the set-up. This is why I have requested an Engineer to look at the detailed logs.

Message 65 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38

@Mikey94025 

I have noticed something.

Let's say nslookup  www.google.com is xxx.xxx.xx.x

When I connect my Mac to the guest network through the wired backhaul satellite, I can ping xxx.xxx.xx.x but I cannot ping   www.google.com

Looks like I am connected to Internet but I do not have access to an address book.

This looks like a DNS issue.

Message 66 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this before your after you made the router IP address change? 

Message 67 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Yes it does happen after changing IP range.

That would explain the "Safari connect connect to www.google.com" as there is no address book available apparently for Guest Network on the satellite any more...

Not sure what is really happening. Waiting for support desk answer today after this findings.

Message 68 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully support and get this to review. Have someone collect debug logs. 

Message 69 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

For the moment support did not request or tell me how to get the logs.

I sent them the configuration but not sure it will produce the same result on their side. Not sure that the issue is related to the config file. 

But you are right. The logs will definitely tell what is going on and I will ask support to show me how to extract them.

Message 70 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

router IP address/debug.htm in a web browser. 

There will be a Start Debug button and a Save Log Button.

Message 71 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Would you know which file(s) I have to examine?

I have found files with logs showing my IPhone connection to the wired backhaul Satellite on the guest network but I cannot find files to show logs of internet connection.

Thanks

Message 72 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

I wouldn't...something to pass on to NG support for review.

@Blanca_O 

Message 73 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

I finally received a preliminary report from the support desk. They have reproduced and confirmed the bug (no internet on the guest network through wired backhaul satellite).

This issue has been escaleted to the developement department and basically they ask me to wait until they can fix it.

They will let me know when it will be adressed. Obviously it has not been reported by many users for the moment... I really wonder why as it is really a serious bug.

Message 74 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for letting us know. Glad they were able to reproduce. 

Message 75 of 100
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 99 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7