Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satellite

philoouu
Luminary

Re: AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satel

I forgot to say that  Netgear support has confirmed that it is not solved in V3.2.16.22 yet.

They have escalated again the issue.

Message 76 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000/RBK852 Wired Backhaul mode - Guest Network - No internet when connected through the satel

Smiley Wink

Message 77 of 100
Mywayout
Tutor

Tagging this as I have the same issue. Thanks for all the work on chasing it down

Message 78 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried this yet? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/New-RBR850-RBS850-Series-Firmware-Version-v3-2-17-12-Releas...

@Mywayout wrote:

Tagging this as I have the same issue. Thanks for all the work on chasing it down

Message 79 of 100
Mywayout
Tutor

Sorry - it took me a few minutes until my wife let me take the internet down 🙂 That worked!! Anyone else on the thread - this firmware version wasn't available on the auto-update but the firmware in the link provided fixed it - I had checked prior to posting in the thread. 

Message 80 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. 

@Mywayout wrote:

Sorry - it took me a few minutes until my wife let me take the internet down 🙂 That worked!! Anyone else on the thread - this firmware version wasn't available on the auto-update but the firmware in the link provided fixed it - I had checked prior to posting in the thread. 

Message 81 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/AX6000-RBK852-Wired-Backhaul-mode-Guest-Network-No-internet...

@philoouu wrote:

I forgot to say that  Netgear support has confirmed that it is not solved in V3.2.16.22 yet.

They have escalated again the issue.

Message 82 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

Hello

@FURRYe38 

THanks for letting us know about this new version.

It took Netgear Support 3 months to ackowledge the issue (officially). Would be nice it the issue is solved in this firmware 3 months after, making a total of 6 months. As it does not install automatically I will wait a little bit more before eventually installing manually.

I have contacted the Support too to ask them about this new version.

Message 83 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Takes time for testing and development. Can't happen over night.

I recommend applying manually the update. I applied mine this evening. Updated RBS first then RBR lastly. Powered OFF these units for 30 seconds then back ON. Working well here. 

Not sure when auto udpate will be availalbe with this version. 

Message 84 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

Thanks for your advice.

Very disappointed by the bug to start with... They should have proposed to reimburse their customers for those who wanted...

Firmware is not the same for Main and Satellite? 

You apply both one by one then restart evertyhing?

Message 85 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Well if you recall you were the only one who posted having problems with this. Wouldn't construe a flood of refunds. Just needed time for NG to review and fix the problem you posted about. I didn't see this issue with mine so not sure why I didn't have this problem when I tested this out on mine, though I don't use Guest Network in my home normally. Were all adults here. 

Anyways, download two files, one for the RBS and one is for the RBR. Apply the RBS first, then RBR lastly. 

I powered my units OFF then back on. 

Make sure you set channel 40 on 5Ghz. I noticed mine was set to 36, not sure if that was my doing or the update. Noticed my Echo Dot wouldn't work right until I changed to 40. All is well now. 

Message 86 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

Thanks

Once it was acknolewdged by Netgear, they should have proposed the refund as Guest network can be useful especially those days where working from home is necessary.

Will let you know if I have problems for this update.

Message 87 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I and one other work from home. We don't use guest network. 

Let us know...Should be fixed from what soneone else mentioned. 

Message 88 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

I have not done the update yet. I have asked the support desk (I've been dealing with them for 6 months now); they have no clue if the satellite guest network bug is fixed or not as nothing is written in the released notes. In case it is really fixed and not mentionned in the released notes, and/or communicated to the Netgear support desk, it would confirm the difficulties support desk is facing helping customers without proper information on their own products.

Support desk told me to try the new firmware but do a reset factory after the firmware upgrade.

I was wondering which configuration file I should load after the factory reset; the current one done on v3.2.16.22 or save another one between the firmwire upgrade v3.2.17.12 and the factory reset?

By the way is the factory reset necessary?

I am still also wondering why manual update is necessary. How come it cannot be done 

automatically?

Thanks

Message 89 of 100
Mywayout
Tutor

@FURRYe38  - I did the update and it worked fine. No factory reset. I just loaded both the RBR and RBS (as appropriate for the router or satelitte) through manual firmware update. I did seemingly have to update one satelitte at a time, and it gave me some kind of time out error message when I did it but after 5-10 long minutes, when I connected again and refreshed the page, the version was updated. I suggest backing up your configuration if you have any particuarly annoying rules to create again and then just doing the firmware. You realy don't have much to lose. Good luck!

Message 90 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

I have been struggling with their product for 6 months as you can see in the post and when the support desk tells me they do not know about the new release, I really feel sorry for them as they cannot really do their job properly, hence the time it took to acknowledge my issue.

The fact that the firmware upgrade has to be done manually means 2 things for me: either they prefer no to push it everywhere for some reaons (but that does not make much sense), or worse the current one is unable to detect that there is a new release (would be another bug).

This is way I am taking my time but I will upgrade soon as I want to get rid of this guest network satellite bug.

Message 91 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Checked again with Guest Network enabled, getting internet services thru my RBS thats wire connected to my RBR in router mode. System is using v12 FW. 

Message 92 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

I finally updated to v3.2.17.12.

After a reboot (exactly 2 reboot of the RBR as for some reason there was no internet connection during the first reboot and one reboot of the RBS), guest network is working correctly with the satellite in Wired Backhaul mode.

I did not need to do factory reset / reload my configuration.

Finally Netgear was able after 6 months to fix this basic function.

I wrote to the support desk to tell them the issue was solved.

@FURRYe38 thanks for your help during these 6 months...

Message 93 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad its finally working for you. 6 months isn't bad. I've seen worse.

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 94 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

Done.

Thanks !

Message 95 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 96 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

I told the local Netgear support desk it was solved.... not sure they got any information on the release...
Message 97 of 100
FURRYe38
Guru

Kewl. At least we got this forum thread. Smiley Wink

Message 98 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

@FURRYe38 

@Mywayout 

Actually, the same thing happened to me that a couple of months ago. I did modify some settings like address reservation (Lan Setup) or Access Control (Security) and now I do not have internet on the guest network through the satellite anymore. Looks like it was working at the beginning just after the firmware update but any modification of the configuration will make the issue back. This is exactly as before when it was working after a Factory Reset but when I was changing the configuration the bug appeared.

I did a factory reset and loaded the current configuration but it did not fix it.

I do not have the patience to manually rebuild the configuration as I am pretty sure it will bug at some point.

I guess Netgear did not fix the issue. By “luck” it was working after the firmware update but it is very unstable and each configuration change can make it bug again.

I will have to live without the Guest Network…

Issue is not solved for me, I guess I should make this thread Unsolved.

Message 99 of 100
philoouu
Luminary

Netgear support did reopen this case but they told me frankly to wait to get it fixed!

After all they were surprised it was fixed to start with..

Message 100 of 100
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 99 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7