Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 / RBK853 with Sonicwall TZ4000

tgorelick
Tutor

AX6000 / RBK853 with Sonicwall TZ4000

When I configure my Orbi RBR850 router in AP mode, set the IP address to be obtained from my Sonicwall router, and connect the orbi to a Sonicwall LAN port, I cannot connect to the orbi's admin interface (using the Sonicwall assigned IP or orbilogin.com), cannot ping the orbi from any network device other than the Sonicwall's diagnostic page, and cannot access the internet from the orbi WiFi network. Netgear support advised me to leave the orbi in router mode but in its own subnet. (My Sonicwall is on 192.168.2.x.) I'd prefer to turn off the routing on the orbi, so everything in the same subnet.  Suggestions?

Message 1 of 6
kildare
Luminary

Re: AX6000 / RBK853 with Sonicwall TZ4000

Which are the assigned network settings that you can see on any of your wireless devices?

IP address

subnet mask

default gateway

DNS

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Set a static IP address on the RBR. That was you always know where the IP address is and can always access the RBR. I use 192.168.0.85 for my system. 

@tgorelick wrote:

When I configure my Orbi RBR850 router in AP mode, set the IP address to be obtained from my Sonicwall router, and connect the orbi to a Sonicwall LAN port, I cannot connect to the orbi's admin interface (using the Sonicwall assigned IP or orbilogin.com), cannot ping the orbi from any network device other than the Sonicwall's diagnostic page, and cannot access the internet from the orbi WiFi network. Netgear support advised me to leave the orbi in router mode but in its own subnet. (My Sonicwall is on 192.168.2.x.) I'd prefer to turn off the routing on the orbi, so everything in the same subnet.  Suggestions?

Message 3 of 6
Bandito
Luminary

It sounds like you want the Sonicwall to act as the router for your system, but I don't think it will work that way.  You should have the cable from the Sonicwall connected to the WAN port on the router and then set the router up in router mode so that it can issue IP addresses for your devices via DHCP.  Then things should start working for you.

Message 4 of 6
tgorelick
Tutor

Setting a static IP does not solve the problem. 

Message 5 of 6
tgorelick
Tutor

Thanks, @Bandito.  It appears you are suggesting the following configuration where the RBR handles routing and DHCP, and Sonicwall does its firewall work like NAT,  intrusion protection, content control, gateway antivirus, etc.

Internet modem >

(WAN Port) SonicWall (LAN Port) >

(WAN port) RBR 850 (LAN Port) >

LAN - Netgear prosafe Ethernet + RBR  Satellites WiFi 

Do I need to worry about RBR doing a second NAT? Can I turn that off? Should I set the Sonicwall LAN to a static IP on the RBR's network (192.168.1.x, assuming I leave the default in place)?

If RBR's DHCP service is capable of assigning static IP addresses to certain MACs (required for firewall policy differentiation by device), then this could work. I'm not using the Sonicwall's VLan or analysis functions, so I really wouldn't be losing anything. Any idea how RBR's routing backbone / processor might compare to the Sonicwall or best way for me to find out?

FYI, I have about 75 active devices (8 people, big house, lots of media) and am on ATT gigabit fiber. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7