Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 (RBR850) Public IP Address not releasing ???

ohmoeron
Aspirant

AX6000 (RBR850) Public IP Address not releasing ???

I just had a long converstation with Spectrum tech support (fully believing it was their faul) that they were issuing me an IP address that was outside of my local area.  I live in central ohio but was getting an IP address from Kentucky.  So all of my geo locating on websites were coming up with Kentucky locations...and my local feed on news stations were coming up out of Kentucky...

So they asked me to connect my laptop directly to their modem.  When I did so, the public IP address was local.  When I went back to wifi, the public IP address was back to the Kentucky IP address.

I'm not changing any default settings on the Internet tab...all things get from the Modem (see photo).

Why does the Orbi "maintain" that other IP address that isn't being passed from the Modem (or was previously passed and it's storing it?)  How do I get it to release that IP address and do what it is supposed to do which is grab the IP address the modem has?

I really don't want to nuke it out to correct this as I have two satellite devices as well and have better things to do with 45 minutes of my life than wipe all three, configure the base and then add teh satellites back to the mesh.

Firmware version is 4.6.3.16_2.0.51

Any help is appreciated!

Ohmoeron

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AX6000 (RBR850) Public IP Address not releasing ???

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch.
I would power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute. Factory reset the Orbi router and power it off. Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the Orbi router and walk thru the setup wizard again using a wired PC and a web browser.
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 2 of 15
ohmoeron
Aspirant

Spectrum provided modem: 

DOCSIS 3.1 eMTA Model E31T2V

I have tried the power off for 5 minutes on both devices, plug in modem first to make sure it is connected and stable prior to adding Orbi but had the same results.

I was trying to prevent having to do factory wipes on all three Orbi's but I guess that is what I'm going to have to do...

Thanks for the input.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset, I'd try with the ISP modem turned OFF and the WAN port on the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem. Reset and setup from scratch. 

Also it's the modems duty to release the IP address from the ISP, however that depend on how long the ISP release policy is. If the ISP doesn't release the modem from a IP address, your locked in until the least time policy runs out or they force the modem to a different IP. 

Message 4 of 15
ohmoeron
Aspirant

Just got done factory resetting everything, re configuring the network and same results...still getting that Kentucky IP address.  If I ethernet directly from Spectrum modem, I get the proper Ohio IP address. 

Any other thoughts?  I don't believe it's viable to discard $999 worth of network equipment because it won't release a public IP adddress.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the WAN IP Address your seeing the modem when directly connected to it, is it the same as what is being seen on the RBRs web page under Advanced Tab/Internet or something different?

You can try this FW out. We've seen better results with this version:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/New-RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-v...

I would download the FW files. Install to the RBS first then RBR lastly. After the units are ready, power OFF the RBS and RBR for 1 minute then back ON, I'd do a full on factory reset on the RBR and setup from scratch with the RBR not connected to the modem. Be sure to not enable any Armor, SPC or Traffic Meter. Might try IPv6 enabled if you haven't tried this. Leave the RBS OFF while setting up.

After the RBR is set up, power it OFF. Power OFF the ISP modem, then reconnect the RBR to the modem, then power ON the modem and let it sync. Power ON the RBR and let it sync. 

Check results...

Message 6 of 15
ohmoeron
Aspirant

I'll have to try the firmware route.

See attached for image showing results from WhatismyIP hard wired from laptop to modem, then what the Orbi says when I am connected via wi-fi.

Message 7 of 15
Patone407
Tutor

Does it give the same public IP result when you connect your laptop to Orbi via

1. ethernet (& wifi turned off) 

2. over wifi (& no cable in ethernet port)?

Message 8 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Both of those addresses fall under same subnet which belongs to Spectrum and seems to be located in Ohio:

https://www.ipaddress.com/ipv4/65.185.0.0

Ok, there maybe a proxy address being used for unknown reasons:

https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test/lookup/65.185.25.93

Seems to still fall under Spectrums IP range:

https://whois.domaintools.com/65.185.25.39

Same for:

https://whois.domaintools.com/65.185.29.173

What Time Zone are you in? What TZ is set on the RBR? 

@ohmoeron wrote:

I'll have to try the firmware route.

See attached for image showing results from WhatismyIP hard wired from laptop to modem, then what the Orbi says when I am connected via wi-fi.

Message 9 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@ohmoeron wrote:

Would it be convenient to add one more step to this analysis?  Use the "what is my IP" web site while the Orbi is connected to the modem.

My understanding is that consumer routers do not "hold on to" public IP addresses.  When powered up, they do a DHCP request to the ISP and that is the IP address that they display on the Internet panel.  (This is one of the first steps often used to diagnose a possible Double-NAT.  If the 'public IP' starts with 192.168 then the Orbi is connected to another router, not directly to the ISP.)  Unless the subscriber has signed up (and paid) for a static IP address, then the ISP is free to change the public IP at any DHCP renewal.

My hunch is that the ISP is assigning one IP when the Orbi is connected and a different IP when the laptop is connected.  The significant difference is the MAC address of the connecting device.

It also should make no difference whether the laptop is connected to the Orbi with ethernet or WiFi.

So:

• Step 1: connect laptop to modem and check what's my IP?
  • Step 2: connect Orbi to modem, record public IP from Advanced Tab.
  • Step 3: use laptop and check what's my IP?  Which does it match? (step 1 or step 2)
Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

His modem is only a modem so he's in a Single NAT condition. 

Message 11 of 15
Patone407
Tutor

What's your Orbi Setting for "Router MAC Address"?  (Advanced...Setup...Internet Setup )

If it's not the default of using the actual router's MAC address then that could explain the difference in the ISP giving different public WAN address than when directly connecting to the ISP modem.

Message 12 of 15
ohmoeron
Aspirant

Starting to wonder if this is a Geo-Location to IP address issue...when I looked the Geo-Location for the IP address, the same IP is in either Kentucky or Ohio depending on the database provider. 

To answer your question, it's set to EST (same as I am).

Message 13 of 15
ohmoeron
Aspirant

I just can't afford to spend more time on this at this second.  I appreciate everyone's responses...now I need to go attach all the IoT back to the wifi after the wipes of the Routers and Satellites.

I've submitted a request to the faulty geo-location DB providers to update to Ohio from Kentucky for the IP address I continue to get. 

To answer a few questions without making this post 44 posts long:

1) Same public ip address comes up when connected to Orbi with laptop connected directly via ethernet OR wireless.

2) Spectrum put their modem into bridge mode so there is no double NAT going on.

3) When I connect my laptop directly to the Spectrum modem via ethernet, I get a different public IP address

4) The "Router MAC Address" selection is "Use Default Address" 

If I figure it out, I'll post the answer but I'm just done trying to get this to work properly.  I'll deal with wrong geo-location tagging of IP address for now...I have sent requests for updates to the DB providers...that's probably going to be my least painful option at this point.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, let us know how it turns out down the road. 

Good Luck. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7