Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: AX6000 RBR850 satellites won’t connect to Resideo cameras

WiFli
Aspirant

AX6000 RBR850 satellites won’t connect to Resideo cameras

I have a Honeywell home security system with a few Resideo IPCAM-WOC2 cameras. These cameras are only compatible with 2.4ghz. It appears that my main router in my basement is the only thing putting out 2.4ghz. My 2 satellites are only putting out 5GHz. Due to the cement foundation of the home, the signal to the cameras has to penetrate 2 cement walls and are receiving a poor signal.

I have a 2 story home with an unfinished basement. The builder and low voltage company has placed a panel with Router, 24 port switch and Orbi Router in the basement. I have a Satellite on the main floor and another upstairs. Our home is approximately 3000 sqft.

Is anyone aware if the satellites RBR850 can put out 2.5GHz and if so is there a way to get the cameras to use it? It appears you can’t force connect with the RBR850 so far from what I have found. I prefer not to bring the router/switch/ and Modem up to the main level if I don’t have to.
Message 1 of 7

@WiFli wrote:
I have a Honeywell home security system with a few Resideo IPCAM-WOC2 cameras. These cameras are only compatible with 2.4ghz. It appears that my main router in my basement is the only thing putting out 2.4ghz. My 2 satellites are only putting out 5GHz. Due to the cement foundation of the home, the signal to the cameras has to penetrate 2 cement walls and are receiving a poor signal.

More likely your satellites are putting out both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. They will just have the same SSID. You have to go out of your way to disable 2.4 GHz wifi.

The problem starts with the people who make your cameras. You should ask them how you are supposed to set up their equipment with a "Mesh" wifi network.

With most IoT stuff, there is no need to mess around with separate SSIDs . Many, many people have connected devices using a simple and temporary fix that does not break the whole reason for buying a Mesh wifi system.

Most IoT things work on 2.4 GHz. They will not see, and cannot connect to, 5 GHz wifi.

Many makers of IoT devices use an app on a mobile device to set up the thing. Mobile devices usually connect to 5 GHz wifi and don't let you choose 2.4 GHz. Poorly designed apps fall over because they cannot handle installation using a mobile connected to 5 GHz wifi while the IoT toy is on 2.4 GHz.

A widely used strategy that works for many people is to forget about separate SSIDs and to follow this strategy:

1. Go into your Orbi's wifi set up
  2. Disable broadcast of 5 GHz SSID
  3. Tell the mobile device to forget the connection to that SSID
  4. Reboot the mobile device
  5. Connect to the SSID
  6. Set up the IoT device
  7. Go back and reverse step 2

You may be able to miss out steps 3 and 4, depending on your phone and the app.

This approach has worked for many people. The solution appears in this discussion several times, but, like decent advice on how to separate SSIDs for those who really do need to achieve that, is buried in the noise.

This approach has worked for many people. The advantage is that it does not break one of the whole points of the Orbi Mesh system, a single SSID that devices can connect to seamlessly.

Is anyone aware if the satellites RBR850 can put out 2.5GHz and if so is there a way to get the cameras to use it?

The manual will tell you about that.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

As to the camera. ask the people who made it.

Message 2 of 7
WiFli
Aspirant

Am I understand correctly that the cameras are likely setup using a cellphone that is Connected via the 5GHz, while the camera is only capable of 2.4GHz and being that the setup is using the different bands, it can cause confusion? I’ll definitely give this a shot!
Message 3 of 7

@WiFli wrote:
Am I understand correctly that the cameras are likely setup using a cellphone that is Connected via the 5GHz, while the camera is only capable of 2.4GHz ....

Yes.

Message 4 of 7
xaustie
Tutor

I have an old Samsung cell phone that I keep around for just this situation.

It only supports 2.4GHz. It does not have a SIM card.

With an old phone like this I don't' have to mess with my network at all. I can keep 2.4GHz and 5GHz active as usual.

I complete the whole install/configure/etc process with the phone and the IoT device (thermostat, camera, etc.). 

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Would it be convenient to use a "QR" reader app to find out what is included in the QR code that the app creates to inform the camera of the WiFi network?

https://www.alarmgrid.com/faq/how-do-i-configure-a-resideo-ipcam-woc2-for-use-w-tc2 

If the QR code includes only the WiFi SSID and password (and does not include the WiFi access point MAC address), then this situation is not one of those "2.4G vs. 5G SSID issues".

The bigger issue appears to be not having a 2.4G WiFi signal broadcast by the satellites.  There is no mechanism to control whether satellites broadcast both 2.4G and 5G WiFi channels.

Message 6 of 7

@xaustie wrote:

I have an old Samsung cell phone that I keep around for just this situation.

It only supports 2.4GHz. It does not have a SIM card.

Wise move. Makes up for incompetent app writers.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7