Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 and MetroNet Connection Issues

Halewafa
Guide

AX6000 and MetroNet Connection Issues

Hi all,

Here’s the story: I had the RBR50 system for two years and it worked flawlessly. A few days ago we had a power outage and it just stopped working. I did a factory reset and fresh setup, it would never get internet connection. I called MetroNet and everything was fine on their end. Plugged a computer directly into the modem and got internet with no issues. I went out and bought a cheap TP-LINK router to use in the meantime and set it up with no issues. I bought the RBR50 from Costco and they allowed me to return it even though it had been two years since purchase.

I ended up buying the AX6000 from Best Buy and just got it today. Went to set it up and guess what... it couldn’t get internet. That’s when I started thinking maybe there was some sort of change that all of a sudden occurred and Orbi was no longer compatible with MetroNet. Started looking online and found a few topics here that had the same issue as me, going as far back as April of this year. Unfortunately, I didn’t seem to find any that actually had a solution.

Does anyone here know what’s happening and how to fix this problem? I ended up hooking up my TP-LINK again and then plugged the RBR850 into the TP-LINK and was actually able to set it up that way and update the firmware. So strange that connecting the modem to the Orbi doesn’t work, but connecting the modem to a different router to the Orbi works with no issues. It’s also causing my internet to be a little slower going this route, especially the WiFi. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Halewafa
Guide

Re: AX6000 and MetroNet Connection Issues

Thanks Fury,

So I finally got it working,... just praying it stays working and I don't have another power outage.

I tried resetting the ONT and doing a factory reset on the Orbi, didn't fix it, still couldn't get internet during setup. I then tried something else mentioned in another forum. Plugged a laptop directly into the ONT and did a ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew. Then plugged the ONT into the Orbi (which was reset again) and did the setup via a laptop plugged directly into the Orbi. During the setup it failed again, still couldn't get internet. Tried the setup via the Orbi app wirelessly and what do you know... it worked. I have no clue what happened, but everything is up and running beautifully. getting 950/950 up/down on my gaming computer connected directly to the satellite (which is hardwired to the main router).

Thanks for all your help, have a great weekend!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 6
Halewafa
Guide

Firmware: 3.2.15.25_1.3.15

Mfr: Nokia

Model #: G-010G-A

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I do see some ethernet features on the ONT that could cause some problems. 

Ethernet port auto negotiation or manual configuration • Medium dependent interface/medium dependent interface crossover (MDI/MDIX) automatic sense • Supports port-based downstream priority queues and strict priority scheduling for traffic Class of Service (CoS) differentiation • Virtual switch based on 802.1Q VLAN • VLAN tagging/detagging per Ethernet port and marking/remarking of 802.1p • VLAN stacking (Q-in-Q) and VLAN translation • CoS based on VLAN ID, 802.1p bit • IPv4 Type of Service/Differentiated Service Code Point (ToS/DSCP) to 802.1p mapping for untagged frames • IGMPv2/v3 snooping • Supports RFC 2236 (v2), RFC 3376 (v3) • Supports any source multicast/sourcespecific multicast (ASM/SSM)

Though if another router is working, hard to say if it's the ONT or something on the RBR850 doesn't like the ONT. 

Try a full 1 minute power OFF of the ONT and then back on with the RBR850 is connected to the ONT. Factory reset the RBR by pressing the reset button for 15 seconds then release. Wire connect a PC or laptop to the back of the RBR. Use a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard at 192.168.1.1. Complete the setup then check the RBRs web page for status of the internet connection on the basic tab site. Hopefully it should show GOOD. 

Also try v32 FW:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/RBR850-RBS850-Firmware-Version-3-2-15-32-Hot-Fix-Firmware-U...

Message 4 of 6
Halewafa
Guide

Thanks Fury,

So I finally got it working,... just praying it stays working and I don't have another power outage.

I tried resetting the ONT and doing a factory reset on the Orbi, didn't fix it, still couldn't get internet during setup. I then tried something else mentioned in another forum. Plugged a laptop directly into the ONT and did a ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew. Then plugged the ONT into the Orbi (which was reset again) and did the setup via a laptop plugged directly into the Orbi. During the setup it failed again, still couldn't get internet. Tried the setup via the Orbi app wirelessly and what do you know... it worked. I have no clue what happened, but everything is up and running beautifully. getting 950/950 up/down on my gaming computer connected directly to the satellite (which is hardwired to the main router).

Thanks for all your help, have a great weekend!

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working better. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation