Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AXE11000 router - does the 10Gb WAN port support 2.5/5Gb internet?

Turns2
Tutor

AXE11000 router - does the 10Gb WAN port support 2.5/5Gb internet?

Today, I have 1Gb fiber internet from AT&T, and use an RBK53 which handles all my routing + satellites. The AT&T gateway is a pass-through.

In two weeks, I'm upgrading to 5Gb AT&T fiber, and the gateway is the BGW320, which has a 5Gb LAN port. I'd like to upgrade my AC3000 system to the newest 6E package.

I see that the AXE11000 10Gb WAN port supports "up to" 10Gb internet speeds. 

My question: is the 10Gb WAN port of the 802.3bz variety, that can negotiate both 2.5Gb and 5Gb from my internet gateway?

Please no guesses, accurate answers only Smiley Happy This would be a ~$3K investment if I decide to go with the RBKE963 system plus upgrading my switches, in order to take full advantage of both 2.5/5Gb wired ethernet.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: AXE11000 router - does the 10Gb WAN port support 2.5/5Gb internet?

The 9 series negociates all the way down to 1000mbps which is what I have. I believe it may go down to 100Mpbs however I don't know anyone around with older modems that only support 100Mbs. My CAX80 has a 2.5Gb port so I use it. I haven't tried one of my CM series modems which only support 1000Mpbs with the 9 series. 

Message 2 of 7
Turns2
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The 9 series negociates all the way down to 1000mbps which is what I have. I believe it may go down to 100Mpbs however I don't know anyone around with older modems that only support 100Mbs. My CAX80 has a 2.5Gb port so I use it. I haven't tried one of my CM series modems which only support 1000Mpbs with the 9 series. 

So that's the rub... all 10Gb ports can negotiate down to 1Gb, but only those with 802.3bz can also negotiate 2.5/5Gb. Those intermediate link rates are critical to understanding if this Orbi will let me take advantage of 2.5/5Gb WAN and LAN speeds.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I know for mine, it connects at 2.5Gb with my CAX80. So there is that. I don't have modem that supports 5Gb. I do have a 5Gb Ethernet to USB adapter that might see if we get a connect rate. I presume it might work to see a connection rate with the RBREs WAN port. 

Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

So this would not be actual use test case but to just to observe that connection rate on the RBRE WAN port, however seems that my 5Gb USB to ethernet adapter is seeing 5Gb on the RBREs WAN port:

5Gb.png

Though when checking the RBREs Stats page, the WAN port is reporting 10Mb. Smiley Embarassed I presume it maybe not a actual connection traffic which should or would show 10Gb with a actual 10Gb modem/Ethernet switch connection and not a USB to ethernet adapter. 

RBREStatsPage.png

I did reboot the RBRE and while it rebooted that adapter reported "auto detect" so I believe the adapter is working and seeing speeds right with the RBRE. After the RBRE was back to ready, the adapter again reported 5Gb speeds while connected to the WAN port. 

2.5Gb LAN port reports same speed with this adapter:

2_5Gb.png

Message 5 of 7
Turns2
Tutor

@FURRYe38 thanks for the extensive testing. So it does appear the WAN port can auto-negotiate both 2.5Gb and 5Gb. This appears to be the first-ever document of such on the internet Smiley Happy

While I have your attention regarding the RBKE93... can the wired backhaul work when connected to your normal LAN? And you can have wired backhaul for both satellites? The connection diagrams/manual seems to indicate that wired backhaul only works when you connect the 2.5Gb port of the satellite directly into the 2.5Gb port of the router. I was planning on having a 1Gb switch in between the two.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes the 1Gb LAN ports work to connect RBSEs via wired backhaul. How I have mine since I don't have the HW support for 2.5Gb LAN currently. Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7