Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing router console from remote

Flupke
Guide

Accessing router console from remote

I am currently facing network attacks towards my NAS. Luckily with little change to succeed given my NAS security configuration but still I would like to stop the traffic at port level, by disabling a URL mapping I had configured on the router (RBR850 v4.6.3.16 as far as I know not affected by the recent firmware issue: I never had a problem to access the console when on LAN).

The issue is that I am not on site and would like to do my configuration change remotely.

But I don't find a way to do so:

1/ the Netgear Orbi app does not allow to access the advanced configuration parameters and I don't find any way to manage ports using it

2/ the VPN connection to my LAN (managed using OpenVPN on the router) allows me to have a network connectivity to the router from my iPhone. The HTTP basich authentication pops up ...but systematically redirect me to the page only allowing to reset the admin password 😞 (http://{router-ip}/MNU_access_setRecovery_index.htm) rather than the administration page for the router

Isn't there anyway to access port mapping configuration without being on-site physically connected to the LAN?

Message 1 of 9
Flupke
Guide

Re: Orbi RBR850 browser login problems

I am facing a similar issue today while attempting to access the router remotely (through OpenVPN).

At this stage I am still convinced it is due to my remote connection (the VPN being handled by the router, it may be treated in a special way) as I had usually no problem to connect to the console when on the LAN. And I didn't do any recent firwware upgrade so I don't see why it would suddenly stop functioning. But now reading your post I am a bit worried that I could have the same issue than you do. To be confirmed when I'll be back at home. 

Message 2 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Accessing router console from remote

Have a PC at the site and use a remote app like Remote Desktop or Teamviewer to control the routers web page thru the PC. Or you'll have to be on site. 

Message 3 of 9
Flupke
Guide

Thanks @FURRYe38 .

It confirms there is a need to be on the LAN to configure advanced parameters and that remote management of the router is barely for high-level parameters.

I will probably not go for the complexity of having a remote desktop just for that purpose.

I am still surprised that the "VPN" access is not working to access the console (VPN is imho seamless for the router: it should be as a machine on the LAN ...except if the router itself is doing the VPN - which it is doing in my case - and take "internally" into account the knowledge about the VPN-ization to filter accesses to console)

Message 4 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

After Netgear removed the "Remote Management" option, the OpenVPN tunnel is the only method I know of to access the Orbi web interface when not physically connected to the LAN.

I just now activated my smartphone Hot Spot, connected a Windows 10 laptop to the Hot Spot, and used OpenVPN to connect the laptop to my RBR50 Orbi router.  Opened 192.168.1.1 with the Edge router and the typical login box came up.  Got the regular web interface.

Unless Netgear has made the 850 product "different", my suspicion is that the password entered on the iPhone is not correct.  Phone keyboards are very difficult (for me, with my fat fingers) and it is really easy to make a mistake.  It does not help that the Orbi credential box has no option to make the password visible, rather than those irritating 'dots'.

Message 5 of 9
Flupke
Guide

I think you right. Maybe my first password entry was wrong and it gives no chance for more tries
Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Anywhere Access does not provide advanced functions, such as port forwarding. Not helpful for this problem.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@Flupke wrote:
I think you right. Maybe my first password entry was wrong and it gives no chance for more tries

Hmmm.  My experience has been that it takes three consecutive password errors to bring up Password Reset.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7