Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding an outdoor Netgear access point to work with ORBI AXE 11000

XTREME-IT
Aspirant

Adding an outdoor Netgear access point to work with ORBI AXE 11000

I have a new Orbi AXE11000 and want to add another outdoor netgear access point. Looking for the model that will synchronize or be managed by the controller with the AXE11000 so I don't have to add another or seperate SSID.  Is there such a model?

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Adding an outdoor Netgear access point to work with ORBI AXE 11000

Only outdoor satellite that may work is the RBS50Y which would need to be in Extender mode (FW) for it to work with the Orbi 9 series. 

I don't have a RBSY so I can't confirm to weather it actually works with a Orbi 9 series. The RBSY works in Extender mode with Orbi 8 series from what others have posted so I can only presume it may work with the 9 series.

Message 2 of 8
XTREME-IT
Aspirant

Thanks for the info. I will try that out. 

Rick 

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 4 of 8
Turns2
Tutor

I'm also considering the AXE11000, and I currently have a RBS50Y which has worked excellent for me.

I see the instructions where this can be used to extend a non-Orbi system, but are we 100% certain it will work with the AXE11000? The FAQs around this topic are confusing.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It works as a WiFi extender with any brand of WiFi router.  Extender mode makes the RBS50Y equivalent to any brand of WiFi extender in the sense that the WiFi it broadcasts is independent of the primary system WiFi.  The ability to roam seamlessly is what is lost when changing modes.  Unlike most of the WiFi extenders on the market, the RBS50Y is designed to be placed outdoors (although there have been plenty of comments in the forum about water getting into the unit).

Message 6 of 8
Turns2
Tutor

Thanks for the response. Since I'd lose the ability to seemlessly roam to/from my RBS50Y (like I do today), is the recommendation to create an alternate SSID for it?

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Turns2 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Since I'd lose the ability to seemlessly roam to/from my RBS50Y (like I do today), is the recommendation to create an alternate SSID for it?

Not sure it makes a difference.  Either way, the device is supposed to scan for available WiFi access points and (at some point) decide to drop the connection to one and connect to a different one.  What we most commonly experience is a device going completely out of range of the first WiFi system and then coming into range of a different one.   My phone must "remember" at least 20 WiFi systems that it has been connected to over the years.  When I travel, I can walk in the door and my phone connects automatically.

The situation here is that the roaming device will almost certainly have a connection when it moves closer to (or farther away from) the outdoor access point.

I would think it is less trouble to use the same SSID/password. If the network connection seems sluggish, open Network settings, turn WiFi off and back on again. Done.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7