Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After receiving update and working for a bit, router is now useless hours later.

_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

After receiving update and working for a bit, router is now useless hours later.

After receiving update and working for a bit, router is now useless hours later. Magenta ring of death since before work early this AM. Got home, same story and apparently factory reset won't work, still says no internet. I've tested Comcast modem and that works fine. I need Wi-Fi to work from home and this is now stressing me out, please assist. This thing is essentially bricked.

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: After receiving update and working for a bit, router is now useless hours later.

What NG Product model are you referring too? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

Re: After receiving update and working for a bit, router is now useless hours later.

Im using the Orbi AX4200 RBK753 series with two satellites.

Everything was fine until I asked for the update to be pushed that would allow app to login in. Seemed to work for a few hours. Now, I have no Wi-Fi and can't login in to even see firmware version.

I'm on Comcast Xfinity with their xb1 advanced gateway(Arris brand) in bridge mode.

Nothing has been changed since I first set this up 2 years ago. Everything was fine until this update.

I checked modem/gateway just to make sure, connecting ethernet from modem to pc and it worked, so it's the Orbi. I've done the reset process many times, no go, still magenta ring. New setup doesn't work either. This is killing me rn.
Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Message 4 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

As I said, I can't say right now because I'm unable to login in to the device and have no network now.

Whatever the push update was to allow the restoration of remote access was the last update, prior to that, it was current, say no updates.
Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so disconnect the RBR from the ISP modem. Connect only one PC to the back of the RBR. 

Press the reset button in back of the RBR for 20 seconds then release. 

Using MS Edge or Firefox browser and after the front LED pulsates WHITE, try accessing HTTP and 192.168.1.1. You should see a Orbi app display page and at the very bottom, there is link to select, Don't have this app. Should start the setup wizard here. 

Message 6 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

Will try when home from work later on and I'll update you.

Thank you for that.
Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get access to the RBR. Connect up the RBS as well via ethernet to the back of the RBR. See what FW is loaded on the RBS via it's IP address and web page. If you find both are not at v.2, I recommend that you pull down the RBS and RBR v.2 FW files and update the RBS FIRST to v.2 then the RBR lastly. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6-AX-and-WiFi-6E-AXE/RBK750-and-850-Series-Firmware-Versi...

Message 8 of 14
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @_Tony_Stark_

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information @FURRYe38 provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 9 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

Hi there,

Apologies for the delay. Been a busy work week.

I did try what @FURRYe38 suggested, several times.
Direct connection wouldn't seem to work.

I decided to try resetting for the billionth time. For whatever reason, it finally reset fully.

I did hold the reset button for a solid 2 minutes on the router and during the set up, I chose 0 for the number of satellites.

I then proceeded to reset the satellites in the same manner by holding the reset button for 2 full minutes and set up one at a time.

Everything now works, but the only thing I've noticed is my main network is listed twice. Guest network is fine.
Connecting to one of the mains will say "connected via Orbi" underneath it on the Wi-Fi selection screen.

Does anyone know the reason for this?
Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

2 minutes. I presume 1 minute would have worked as well. 

Please post a screen capture of what your seeing...

Message 11 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

Lol, you would think, but I've tried previously for 1 minute and also for 90 secs according to pdf documentation, neither seemed to work.

Also, doesnt seem to be doing it at the moment, but found a post on it. "What does "Connected via Orbi" mean in my wi-fi co... - NETGEAR Communities" https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/What-does-quot-Connected-via-Orbi-quot-mean-in-my-wi-fi/m-p/20...

Although in that discussion, there seems to be confusion as to the error. Again, for clarification, main network shows up twice, but one says "connected via Orbi" under it when connected to it. At this time, I can't seem to reproduce it. Not sure if it's when connected to satellite or router.

Phone is S21 Ultra on VZW.
Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Got a screen capture of this? 

Possible it's what the device IS seeing and how it's reporting it. Something the Mfr of the device maybe able to answer. 

Message 13 of 14
_Tony_Stark_
Aspirant

Unfortunately no, I don't have a SS of this event and can't seem to replicate it at the moment. But just imagine seeing your network listed twice. One connected to your phone, and one as an available connection. Depending on which one was connected, one says "connected via Orbi". It doesn't make sense. Guest network seems to be fine and only listed once like it should.

Also, as of writing this, I went to check to see if I could replicate, but found a whole new issue. Whenever I go into the Orbi app, I get the an error message. SS attached.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7