Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best NG router to use with RBK753S

gjrandazz
Aspirant

Best NG router to use with RBK753S

I would like to use this Orbi system with another Netgear or 3rd party router. First off, is this possible and if so, which other NG preferably, would be a good one to compliment this 753S mesh system? My main complaint is that I have high latency in some of my games. So I was thinking that a more featured 1gig wifi6 single router would help.
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

If your having high letency in games the you need to check with the ISP services and modem/ONT to ensure all is good there first then troubleshoot the RBK system. 

Are you wired or wireless when gaming? WIred is preferred. 

Is Armor enabled or disabled? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Yes you can use different router infront of the RBR and configure AP mode on the RBR750.

Message 2 of 10
gjrandazz
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply

Home is about 1200 feet

3.2.18.1 is firmware for both RBR750 and 2 RBS750

I use an Arris 8200 modem

My ISP is 1gig coaxial

I see no setting for Armor

Shield Pro is wired straight from router only a couple of feet away.

My speeds are fine, both when wired and wireless. However, when I try to connect to my VS on the Shield, I get very high latency and bad results for bufferbloat
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?

What is this VS? 

Can you turn OFF the RBS and try this one device with the RBR only? 

Do you see same latency if you power OFF the ISP modem, this device and RBR. then disconnect the RBR from the modem and directly wire connect this device to the ISP modem. Power ON the modem then power ON this device and check again.

Message 4 of 10
gjrandazz
Aspirant

I meant VM. I have one through Google Cloud, where I use Parsec client on my Shield to connect to the VM (host). I have one satellite about 30 feet from router and the other around 60. It's a one floor home and it's pretty much open. There really isn't anything interfering with signal.

What I dont understand is my dl and ul speeds are around what they should be. I have no problems streaming 4K to other devices in my house. I'm on my phone right now and I get 600 mbps up and 35 mbps down. Could it be that my upload speeds aren't enough?
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Do you mean 600 down and 35 up? 

If this one device is the only item that seems to be having problems, could be the devices as well. 

Ensure your using a good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended.

Would need to test directly to the ISP Modem with out the RBR and see if the problem still happens...

Message 6 of 10
gjrandazz
Aspirant

Yeah, 600 down, 35 to 50 up

I also get high latency on my computer, which is wired connected to the closer satellite.

I am using a Cat6 cable. Router and modem are very close to each other.

I'll try connecting my Shield to just the modem.
Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem and RBR should be at least a 3-6 feet appart.

Message 8 of 10
gjrandazz
Aspirant

They are right next to each other and same issues when Shield is connected to modem. I think what I might do is buy another, try it, see if helps. If not, I'll return it. How is the XR1000?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem and RBR should be at least a 3-6 feet appart.

If your device is having problems also directly connected to the ISP modem with out the Orbi in the middle, then there is either a problem wit the devices or with the ISP services. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7