Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CBR750 Orbi mode/router times out on trying to access a specific domain

bhiggs
Aspirant

CBR750 Orbi mode/router times out on trying to access a specific domain

I have a strange issue. I have been webmaster for a particular website for years, and have rarely had problems connecting to it.

But over the past few days, I cannot connect to my website (or any other website within the same domain, souheganvalleychorus.org), from any device in my home that is connected to my home router, an Orbi. It simply times out. I have done a traceroute, and that tells me that the request makes it to a Dreamhost server in Portland, Oregon, but then it does nothing more.  I have other websites, and this domain seems to be the only one with this problem.

I've contacted my Internet provider, Comcast/Xfinity, and they found nothing on the router that could explain domain rejection. Dreamhost support tells me that the website is up, and they seem unable to figure out what the problem might be.

I then went elsewhere (my church), to see whether a different internet connection (different modem/router, Wifi), and it connected without any problem. So that convinces me that it's my modem/router.

But I have no idea what to do to fix the problem. 

I have found another entry in this Community that seems to be a similar problem (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/I-can-not-access-one-certain-domain-that-I-n...), but the solution doesn't seem to work for my modem/router. I cannot find a way to change the Router Mac Address, as described in the solution there.

Can someone please help me?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CBR750 Orbi mode/router times out on trying to access a specific domain

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is Armor enabled on the CBR? 

Is the domain www.dreamhost.com or https://webmail.dreamhost.com or a hosted web page that deamhost supports for you? 

Does this happen on all devices? 

Message 2 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

V4.6.5.8, which is the latest, I believe.

I don't believe so. It says to download the app to enable it. I have downloaded the app on my Android mobile, but when I try to login to the modem/router, for some reason it won't accept the admin login password. If that is the only way to enable Armor, then ...

Is the domain www.dreamhost.com or https://webmail.dreamhost.com or a hosted web page that deamhost supports for you? 

I'm not sure what you're asking. souheganvalleychorus.org is the domain in question, and it is hosted by Dreamhost. I have other domains hosted by them, and only souheganvalleychorus.org (all websites in that domain) seems to be exhibiting this behavior.

All devices within my home served by this router/modem.

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@bhiggs wrote:

V4.6.5.8, which is the latest, I believe.

I don't believe so. It says to download the app to enable it. I have downloaded the app on my Android mobile, but when I try to login to the modem/router, for some reason it won't accept the admin login password. If that is the only way to enable Armor, then ...

You might need to setup the admin log in on the CBR if you have not done that already using the CBRs web page

Is the domain www.dreamhost.com or https://webmail.dreamhost.com or a hosted web page that deamhost supports for you? 

I'm not sure what you're asking. souheganvalleychorus.org is the domain in question, and it is hosted by Dreamhost. I have other domains hosted by them, and only souheganvalleychorus.org (all websites in that domain) seems to be exhibiting this behavior.

Yes this would be a hosted web page thats hosted by dreamhost. 

Can you put a PC or a device in the CBRs DMZ and see if you can access the site? DMZ will be under Advanced Tab/WAN Setup. 

Message 4 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

You might need to setup the admin log in on the CBR if you have not done that already using the CBRs web page

I figured out what I'd set for a password, and got into the app. But it seems to be very limited. I tried to enable Armor, and it only allowed me to choose a trial. When I did, it said "Failed to Subscribe"

I guess I'm not interested.

Can you put a PC or a device in the CBRs DMZ and see if you can access the site? DMZ will be under Advanced Tab/WAN Setup. 

I went into Advanced Tab/Setup/WAN Setup, and the only item related to DMZ on that page is "Default DMZ Server", which is not set, and an IP of 192.168.1.0 . How do I put a device in the CBR's DMZ? Choose that option, and then set the IP address to that of the device in question?

Message 5 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

I selected the "Default DMZ Server", and set the IP address to be the IP address of the device I'm currently using. After the Orbi finished updating its settings, I tried accessing souheganvalleychorus.org from this device. No response. In other words, no change.

I reset the Default DMZ Server setting.

Message 6 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

I set "Default DMZ Server, entered the IP Address of this device, and after the Orbi finished updating its settings, I tried accessing souheganvalleychorus.org again. Still no response.

Are we getting anywhere?

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow, figured the DMZ would have worked. Not sure what is blocking that site. I can get to it from both work and home. 

Can you ping that address from a command line? 

C:\Users\#####>ping souheganvalleychorus.org

Pinging souheganvalleychorus.org [64.90.40.166] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 64.90.40.166: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=53
Reply from 64.90.40.166: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=53
Reply from 64.90.40.166: bytes=32 time=23ms TTL=53
Reply from 64.90.40.166: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 64.90.40.166:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 22ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 23ms

What I get thru my system at home. Thought I dont have my CBR750 online currently.

Are you using ISP DNS or custom DNS? Might try some custom DNS set on the CBR. Im using ISP DNS. 

You might reach out to NG support and see if they can help. This is a odd one for sure. 

Message 8 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

Wow, figured the DMZ would have worked. Not sure what is blocking that site. I can get to it from both work and home. 

Bryans-iMac:~ bryanhiggs$ ping souheganvalleychorus.org

PING souheganvalleychorus.org (64.90.40.166): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

Request timeout for icmp_seq 9

Request timeout for icmp_seq 10

Request timeout for icmp_seq 11

Request timeout for icmp_seq 12

Request timeout for icmp_seq 13

Request timeout for icmp_seq 14

Request timeout for icmp_seq 15

Request timeout for icmp_seq 16

Request timeout for icmp_seq 17

Request timeout for icmp_seq 18

Request timeout for icmp_seq 19

Request timeout for icmp_seq 20

Request timeout for icmp_seq 21

Request timeout for icmp_seq 22

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23

Request timeout for icmp_seq 24

Request timeout for icmp_seq 25

Request timeout for icmp_seq 26

Request timeout for icmp_seq 27

Request timeout for icmp_seq 28

Request timeout for icmp_seq 29

Request timeout for icmp_seq 30

Request timeout for icmp_seq 31

Request timeout for icmp_seq 32

Request timeout for icmp_seq 33

Request timeout for icmp_seq 34

Request timeout for icmp_seq 35

Request timeout for icmp_seq 36

Request timeout for icmp_seq 37

Request timeout for icmp_seq 38

Request timeout for icmp_seq 39

Request timeout for icmp_seq 40

Request timeout for icmp_seq 41

Request timeout for icmp_seq 42

Request timeout for icmp_seq 43

Request timeout for icmp_seq 44

Request timeout for icmp_seq 45

Request timeout for icmp_seq 46

Request timeout for icmp_seq 47

Request timeout for icmp_seq 48

Request timeout for icmp_seq 49

Request timeout for icmp_seq 50

Request timeout for icmp_seq 51

Request timeout for icmp_seq 52

Request timeout for icmp_seq 53

...<and lots more>

What I get thru my system at home. Thought I dont have my CBR750 online currently.

Are you using ISP DNS or custom DNS? Might try some custom DNS set on the CBR. Im using ISP DNS. 
Whatever it sets up by default.

You might reach out to NG support and see if they can help. This is a odd one for sure. 
How do I do that? I get the impression that to get support, I have to pay. If true, that sucks.

Thanks for your help!

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

@bhiggs wrote:

Bryans-iMac:~ bryanhiggs$ ping souheganvalleychorus.org

PING souheganvalleychorus.org (64.90.40.166): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

...<and lots more>

Whatever it sets up by default.

Can you try using 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 on the PC first, then try setting this on the CBRs web page?

How do I do that? I get the impression that to get support, I have to pay. If true, that sucks.

Try reaching out to a forum moderator and see if they can get you any information. Does seems like this is a FW issue on the CBR. @DarrenM @vkdelta 

Message 10 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Can you try using 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9 on the PC first, then try setting this on the CBRs web page?

On my Windows desktop PC, I set the DNS servers to be 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (which I gather are the Google DNS servers). I verified that they were set using the ipconfig command, and then tried accessing https://souheganvalleychorus.org/ again. It still times out.

As a result, I did not try to change the CBR DNS settings.

Try reaching out to a forum moderator and see if they can get you any information. Does seems like this is a FW issue on the CBR. @DarrenM @vkdelta 

I presume those are forum moderators?

Thanks for all your help!

Message 11 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

I contacted @DarrenM 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Thank you for the details about trying DNS. 

Message 13 of 15
bhiggs
Aspirant

Well, I tried it again today, and it now works!

I have no idea how this happened. I did nothing between yesterday and today. Suddenly, voila!

Intellectually, I would love to learn what went wrong, and how it got fixed, but I probably will never know.

I'm just relieved that I can now access my website. I just hope it stays that way!

Thanks to all who tried to help me!

Bryan

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Mysterious for sure. 

Normally I'd as users to mark there posts as resolved but not sure about this one since we don't know what the actual fix was. Unless the forum moderator had someething done on there side. No idea. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7