Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can AX6000 and AC3000 mesh coexists on same SSID but different channels?

bababiskothu
Aspirant

Can AX6000 and AC3000 mesh coexists on same SSID but different channels?

Hello,

I have a RBK50 kit (1 router + 2 satellites). I have been using the router (RBR50) as access point (wired to ASUS 86U as the main router) and two satellites (RBS50) connected to RBR50 in 6000sqt space. I recently upgraded to RBK853 with the assumption I can use the  two RBS50 satellites with the AX6000 system but apparently you cant unless its wired and I dont have a way to wire the systems.

So, I was wondering if I use both RBK50 and RBK853 system (both the orbi routers set as access point) with same SSID and different channel to avoid overlapping does it give me a better range (depending on placement of satellites ofcourse) and will my non-wired devices be able to roam across both AC3000 and AX6000 systems?

Thanks

Baba

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Can AX6000 and AC3000 mesh coexists on same SSID but different channels?

My feeling is "no".  The two Orbi systems will not integrate.  A device which originally connects to one of the Orbi systems may "roam" between units on that Orbi system, but will not switch to the other Orbi until the WiFi signal degrades to the point that the device says, "it's GONE. I need to look for another WiFi network to join."

Since both Orbi base units ("router") must be connected via ethernet, you are most likely going to have the two Orbi's in close proximity to each other near the Asus router.  This is also has drawbacks as they will be competing with each other.  The 2.4G channels may not overlap, but the 5G channel may.

People who participate in the community forum for the AX product may have experience to share if you post in that forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Currently Orbi AX and AC are not wirelessly compatible. You can wire connect RBS50s to to Orbi AX is all. No idea if or when NG will make these compatible. 

@bababiskothu wrote:

Hello,

I have a RBK50 kit (1 router + 2 satellites). I have been using the router (RBR50) as access point (wired to ASUS 86U as the main router) and two satellites (RBS50) connected to RBR50 in 6000sqt space. I recently upgraded to RBK853 with the assumption I can use the  two RBS50 satellites with the AX6000 system but apparently you cant unless its wired and I dont have a way to wire the systems.

So, I was wondering if I use both RBK50 and RBK853 system (both the orbi routers set as access point) with same SSID and different channel to avoid overlapping does it give me a better range (depending on placement of satellites ofcourse) and will my non-wired devices be able to roam across both AC3000 and AX6000 systems?

Thanks

Baba

Message 3 of 5
bababiskothu
Aspirant

Thanks for your input all! Thats what I was afraid of..oh well - guess for now just use them with two SSID's and manually pick of one depending on whoch has better coverage at some place (in my backyard esp). I hope NG releases an update that allows us use RBS AC3000 on a RBK AX6600! 

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7