Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I change RBR750 Backhaul Channel?

GiGNet
Star

Can I change RBR750 Backhaul Channel?

Is it possble to change the defaul Backhaul channel on the AX4200/RBR750?  I see it set to 157 in my WiFi Scanner which I think is conflicting with my neighbor's setup giving me poor throughput.  When connected to my router with iPhone 12 Pro Max get speed test of 700mb+ but when connect to a RBS750 drops to 400mb. I am thinking it's something with the back haul speeds? Do I need to switch out for the RBR850? 

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can I change RBR750 Backhaul Channel?

Not possible. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Have you tried the new FW version? 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-WiFi-6/New-RBR750-RBS750-Firmware-Version-4-6-5-14-Released/td...

Message 2 of 8
GiGNet
Star

House is 3400sq ft under air. I have RBS750 in Kitchen and one in Master Bedroom. RBR750 in office. Basically a triangle with well more than 30 feet between. Drywall, no concrete. About 45 devices connnected - probably 40 are wireless. Internet is connected to Comcast 1.2gb - I am using Netgear CMS1150 running WAN Aggregated connection. Router speed test indicates I can getting 1300mb+ download with 44mb upload. Ethernet connections getting 980mb downloads.WiFi connected directly to router steady 700mb+. Over the backhaul just retested. 500mb download from both Master and Kitchen. ~38mb upload. Here's the thing though. If I connect to Kitchen and then move to other side of the house the connection drops to around 250mb. Unless I disconnect and reconnect to the closer RBS750 I am stuck at the slower bandwidth. Obviously for the mobile devices this doesn't work well. Is fast roaming on by default? I used to be able to turn that on with my old RBR50. Can't find that in the RBR750.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When you move or roam while the devices is connecting to the now moving farther away RBS, the speed will drop and it will not be super fast. Thats the thing with wifi signals. As the distance between the device and source RBS be comes greater, the connect rate and speed will drop some. Based on single strength, noise and device hardware support and design. So of your say 10-15 feet away, speeds should be fairly good to high and maintain that range. The farther away, then speeds begin to drop off. Nature of WiFi.

Also some devices will not roam or change from one RBR or RBS signal sourse to a closer signal source, just bad design for some from the Mfr. So sometimes you have to temporarily disable the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then move to the closer RBR or RBS then turn on the devices wifi radio and it should connect to the closer stronger signal. Orbi has a auto roaming feature but again, it can only do so much and again, it's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. Why sometimes you have to turn off the wifi radio then back on to force the device to see a stronger signal. 

Message 4 of 8
GiGNet
Star

Thank you. Makes sense. On a different yet related note, would I see any benefit to installing the RBR853/AX6000? I see one at Costco for $849.99. Much more expensive than what I just purchased. Worth it given my setup? Thoughts?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

There basically same hardward sans LAG support and 2.4Gb WAN port on the 8 series and slightly different wifi connection rates between the 7 and 8 series. I beleive they both sport the same 2400Mpbs wirless backhaul. Other than this, not much difference. The case styles are a bit different I notice. 

Message 6 of 8
GiGNet
Star

So no WAN 1gb+1gb Aggregation on the 8 series? Interesting. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

No, there is 1Gb and 1Gb LAG support on the 8 series. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7