Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can Orbi use a unix log host?

VerneArase
Apprentice

Can Orbi use a unix log host?

Is there a way to get an Orbi to use a unix log host?

-- Thanks, Verne

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can Orbi use a unix log host?

I presume no. Most the logging is internal and built into the FW. 

Message 2 of 6
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I presume no. Most the logging is internal and built into the FW. 

Hmmph. You'd think implementing a log host would be dead simple.

You just have to format a date and time and send the message to a host using a special port number.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

NG already uses router ip addresss/debug.htm to capture logs. 

Message 4 of 6
VerneArase
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

NG already uses router ip addresss/debug.htm to capture logs. 

The point of using a log host is to provide a central (possibly more secure) host where log lines are aggregated and recorded contemporaneously - removing the requirment that all hosts are living on exactly the same clock.

I'd like to log my Orbi log in the system log on my Mac - though I suppose that if it's going to go into a loop spitting out redundant null log lines that would be less than ideal.

OTOH, I'd like to think that those wierd lines at the end of the log segment are an artifact of their  segmenting/transmission protocol, and not a bug in the logging of the device itself.

The nice thing about a contemporaneously transmitted log is that there is no segmentation logic - it's just format a time stamp, append a message, and transmit it to an IP address.

Oh ... and time stamps belong at the beginning of the logged line - not at the end. It makes scanning for a specific date and time a much more sane process. Obviously whoever built the log facility was told to add a time stamp, and he/she took the lazy way out and just appended the date/time to the end of the message.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Well, NG seems to do what they like in regards to there logs. Use them for what you can is all I can say. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7