Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't find Orbi RBR750 after factory reset

quang777
Guide

Can't find Orbi RBR750 after factory reset

Long story short, I was having issues with our wifi connectivity and was trying to access the web interface to make some changes. However, this morning I could no longer access the router's admin web interface anymore. As far as I know, I didn't update the firmware. The last time I checked about a month ago, there was no firmware update via the Orbi app. Unfortunately I can't access the router firmware information anymore. Before scanning the support forums, I thought I'd try to reset my Orbi. However, now that I've reset the router and the 2 satellites the Orbi App can no longer find the main router to set up new after the reset. I can ping the router's IP from a LAN port computer, but I can't access the web UI anymore or set it up via the App.

I've only had this set up for about 4 months and been having erratic behavior since switching from a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 set up that worked for 3 years w/o issue..   Any ideas? I saw a bunch of people complaining about not being able to access the router after a firmware update this week. Is it related to DOH? Did the firmware update get pushed without my approval? Is my Orbi bricked now? 

EDIT: I fell back to using my old Nighthawk until I can get the Orbi fixed, so my Internet etc works fine. It's just the Orbi that seems to have stopped working. Before doing the factory reset, most of the devices were able to access the internet, but a few IOT (ie smart cams etc) stopped working, which triggered this troubleshooting session.

Thanks for any help.

Q

Message 1 of 13
MB_Love
Apprentice

You can’t find the router after factory reset? Most of us stopped working after bad firmware was pushed. As far as I know factory reset is only fix. So you are saying after factory reset you still can’t connect to router?
Message 2 of 13
MB_Love
Apprentice

Did you reset to factory settings or just reboot?
Message 3 of 13
quang777
Guide

I first did a factory reset of the router and tried both the QR scan as well as "manual" set up and in both cases, the Orbi app couldn't find the router. I did have my modem connected at the time to the Orbi router. After that didn't work, I also factory reset the satellites too without luck.

Sounds like I might have to try this tftp method to get an updated firmware?

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

Thanks,

Q

Message 4 of 13
plemans
Guru

Try setting it up by hardwiring a pc/laptop into the router and NOT using the app. 

The app's had issues lately from what we've seen reported. 

But you should still be able to set it up with a pc/laptop

Message 5 of 13
MB_Love
Apprentice

We should all be able to access our routers via Orbilogin or IP address- but WE CAN NOT. Netgear is going to get sued. This is BS!!!
Message 6 of 13
quang777
Guide

Nope no luck. I even tried using both iOS Orbi app and Android to see if that was maybe the issue.

During the set up process, it tries to scan for the Orbi after connecting to the orbi SSID, it just says "Orbi not found", try again.

While during this step, I connected my laptop directly to the Orbi via ethernet cable and can confirm that I get an IP address from the Orbi.

I can ping the Orbi router at 192.168.1.1 but I cannot connect to the webUI at this point. I just get unable to connect from firefox. To make sure it wasn't cached I used a firefox privacy window and tried to go to both the IP 192.168.1.1 as well as the orbilogin.com address and both result in the same cannot connect error. I also even tried turning off DNS over HTTP (DOH) in firefox to see if maybe that was causing an issue.

I can confirm that the satellites are syncing with the router after I factory reset all the units as the two satellites show a constant blue light.

I saw in the latest firmware release notes that they removed the webUI for increased security. So I'm assuming the new FW got applied this weekend w/o my consent and basically has bricked my set up. I've only had these units since Nov and the 90 free support is expired but the hardware warranty is still in affect. Will Netgear replace these bricked units under the hardware warranty?

If not, does any one know how to revert the firmware in this state? How does this work for the satellites? Ie, do you only use tftp to revert the router and then the satellites get auto updated w/ the router? Or do you also have to somehow connect to each of the satellites and revert their firmware using tftp too?

Thanks,

Q

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Instead of using Orb i App, try a factory reset and setup using a wired PC and web broswer on the RBR? 

@quang777 wrote:

Nope no luck. I even tried using both iOS Orbi app and Android to see if that was maybe the issue.

During the set up process, it tries to scan for the Orbi after connecting to the orbi SSID, it just says "Orbi not found", try again.

While during this step, I connected my laptop directly to the Orbi via ethernet cable and can confirm that I get an IP address from the Orbi.

I can ping the Orbi router at 192.168.1.1 but I cannot connect to the webUI at this point. I just get unable to connect from firefox. To make sure it wasn't cached I used a firefox privacy window and tried to go to both the IP 192.168.1.1 as well as the orbilogin.com address and both result in the same cannot connect error. I also even tried turning off DNS over HTTP (DOH) in firefox to see if maybe that was causing an issue.

I can confirm that the satellites are syncing with the router after I factory reset all the units as the two satellites show a constant blue light.

I saw in the latest firmware release notes that they removed the webUI for increased security. So I'm assuming the new FW got applied this weekend w/o my consent and basically has bricked my set up. I've only had these units since Nov and the 90 free support is expired but the hardware warranty is still in affect. Will Netgear replace these bricked units under the hardware warranty?

If not, does any one know how to revert the firmware in this state? How does this work for the satellites? Ie, do you only use tftp to revert the router and then the satellites get auto updated w/ the router? Or do you also have to somehow connect to each of the satellites and revert their firmware using tftp too?

Thanks,

Q

Message 8 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@quang777 wrote:

Sorry. I get confused trying to follow the sequence of events.

After the factory reset (power LED blinking amber), was the web browser not able to open the Orbi web page?

Or, did that test come before the factory reset?

This is a critical distinction.

Message 9 of 13
quang777
Guide

That's correct. After the factory reset, confirmed b/c it now shows up as OrbiXXX instead of my wifi name.

I have a Win10 PC plugged into one of the LAN ports and during the set up mode of the app wizard, I can confirm I get an IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet. However, I CANNOT access the webUI from Firefox via 192.168.1.1. It just comes back unable to connect. As I said, from the PC I can ping the router, so it's connected and the router is "up".

Q

Message 10 of 13
quang777
Guide

AH HA, I figured out the issue.

When I go to the IP, 192.168.1.1, it tries to redirect me to the HTTPS version of the site and then it tries to redirect me to orbilogin.com (also https). However, in both cases, the SSL certs are not properly signed. I had to go to Firefox and select the site's SSL cert information and allow an exception for both 192.168.1.1 and orbilogin.com as both were signed with verified by CN "default.example.com". That was the unable to connect source of the problem. Once I added the exception, I was able to go through the set up wizard via the webUI.

After the set up wizard via the webUI finished, it showed me my current firmware revisions:

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
RouterRBR750RBR750V4.6.8.2No New Firmware Available
SatelliteRBS750Orbi Satellite-1V4.6.5.14V4.6.8.2
SatelliteRBS750Orbi Satellite-2V4.6.8.2No New Firmware Available

I wonder if the FW version mismatch was causing the wifi problems.

Now, I need to see if the Orbi App can see it... as well as try to restore my set up as I forgot to back up my settings.

BTW, if the webUI is going to be removed for "security", how are we supposed to be able to advanced things like backup/restore settings? I didn't see that c

Q

Message 11 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@quang777 wrote:

That's correct. After the factory reset, confirmed b/c it now shows up as OrbiXXX instead of my wifi name.

I have a Win10 PC plugged into one of the LAN ports and during the set up mode of the app wizard, I can confirm I get an IP address on the 192.168.1.x subnet. However, I CANNOT access the webUI from Firefox via 192.168.1.1. It just comes back unable to connect. As I said, from the PC I can ping the router, so it's connected and the router is "up".

Oh, dear.  I am getting the feeling this situation may not have a "Quick Happy Ending".

• What customers want is to regain access to their fully configured systems, especially Parental Controls (which can be accessed only from the Orbi app).
  • If Netgear releases new firmware that requires that customers load it onto the router, they can't because neither the web interface nor the Orbi app is available.
  • Even if customers are willing to wipe out their configuration and start over, the factory reset does not appear to restore access.
    (I have seen posts both ways. Not clear to me why some users report success and some failure.)
  • The two solutions which have been proposed thus far (by customers) are highly technical and beyond the skill level of most users:
    • Load the previous firmware on the router using TFTP and set it up from scratch.  This is definitely not simple.
      It also requires an Ethernet connection to a computer or laptop, which may customers may not have.)
      It also results in losing the entire configuration.
    • Hack into the router telnet interface and restore the web interface long enough to make a copy of the configuration.
      This is totally unsanctioned by Netgear and requires a lot of skill.  However, it would result in saving the configuration.
  • What I hope Netgear is looking for is a way to push new firmware to the router.  It is abundantly clear that Orbi routers "check in" with Netgear support servers periodically to see if new firmware is available.  One day you wake up and the firmware has been updated and the router reset with configuration intact.  It remains a mystery to me how this process works. New firmware became available for my ancient RBR50 on April 8.  A month later, my Orbi has not updated by itself.  (I am stubbornly waiting to see how long it takes.)
    One hopes that these systems which are afflicted with the "not found" problem are still checking for firmware updates and that there is a mechanism to trigger them to install firmware that fixes the problem. - and quickly, too.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found this. Interesting to say the least. 

Users can always use HTTP vs HTTPs. I prefer HTTP as HTTPs isn't really needed on the LAN side and if your the only one accessing the systems web pages, you really don't need HTTPS. 

If you get the system fully update. I would do a full power OFF of the system for 1 minute then back ON. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file: https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

@quang777 wrote:

AH HA, I figured out the issue.

When I go to the IP, 192.168.1.1, it tries to redirect me to the HTTPS version of the site and then it tries to redirect me to orbilogin.com (also https). However, in both cases, the SSL certs are not properly signed. I had to go to Firefox and select the site's SSL cert information and allow an exception for both 192.168.1.1 and orbilogin.com as both were signed with verified by CN "default.example.com". That was the unable to connect source of the problem. Once I added the exception, I was able to go through the set up wizard via the webUI.

After the set up wizard via the webUI finished, it showed me my current firmware revisions:

Model Name Device Name Current Firmware Version Status
Router RBR750 RBR750 V4.6.8.2 No New Firmware Available
Satellite RBS750 Orbi Satellite-1 V4.6.5.14 V4.6.8.2
Satellite RBS750 Orbi Satellite-2 V4.6.8.2 No New Firmware Available

I wonder if the FW version mismatch was causing the wifi problems.

Now, I need to see if the Orbi App can see it... as well as try to restore my set up as I forgot to back up my settings.

BTW, if the webUI is going to be removed for "security", how are we supposed to be able to advanced things like backup/restore settings? I didn't see that c

Q

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7