Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot sync Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite to new Orbi RBR850 router.

skyward1
Apprentice

Cannot sync Orbi RBS50Y outdoor satellite to new Orbi RBR850 router.

Hello Community,

I am copying my post here, that I subbmitted to Netgear support, but have not received any reply.  Thank you for your assistance!

<copied text>

I spoke with a woman in tech support about this. I expected that she would have documented it, but apparently she did not. So, I will do it for her. She told me that the outdoor satellite RBS50Y will not sync with the RBR850 router, because it is not currently compatible. She said there is a firmware update coming for the RBR850 router in the first week of January 2020 and that it will correct the issue. I find this incredible that Netgear would promote the outdoor Orbi as working with almost ANY router, only to find out it is not compatible with their own router! After spending almost $700 on the RBK852 system, and another $300 on the outdoor satellite, I cannot use them together until they figure out the firmware issue. WOW! Anyway, I wanted this documented in writing, so it gets maximum attention and is recorded.

<copied text>

Hello Netgear Support, You told me that this would be corrected with the firmware update in the first week of January. You did a firmware update a few days ago to V3.2.9.2_1.2.4. After the update, I tried to install the RBS50Yv2 satellite, but it still does not install. FYI, I was able to login to the satellite and I saw that the satellite firmware was V1.0.0.36. If that helps you. What is going on with this? I need to either make this work, or return the satellite to Amazon before the return period runs out. Please let me know what to do right away! Thank you!

Message 1 of 39
Chuck_M
Mentor

@skyward1 wrote:

<copied text>

She said there is a firmware update coming for the RBR850 router in the first week of January 2020 and that it will correct the issue.

<copied text>

Well it is 18 Jan 20, so we got that going for us.

A firmware release was made a week or so ago, and all it did for me was make compatibility between mt RBR850 and my RBS50's worse.  I wouldnt hold your breath on any near term fixes.  

Message 2 of 39
rensul
Guide

I bought exactly what you bought and was told the same thing. I finally just returned the outdoor satellite. Now waiting for them to release a single WiFi6 satellite for purchase...
Message 3 of 39
osuorbi
Aspirant

I am having this exact same problem with my friends vacation lake house. Any update on the firmware.

Message 4 of 39
skyward1
Apprentice

I returned mine back to Amazon and I am not interested in this product anymore.  Good luck!

sky

Message 5 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Good luck. Sorry it didn't work out for you. 

@skyward1 wrote:

I returned mine back to Amazon and I am not interested in this product anymore.  Good luck!

sky

Message 6 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Haven't heard anything from NG. You might contact NG support to see when. I presume most things are delayed now with this virus event slowing things down and probably impacting dates on when NG was going to do something. Smiley Frustrated

@osuorbi wrote:

I am having this exact same problem with my friends vacation lake house. Any update on the firmware.

Message 7 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

To make matters worse:

1. The current firmware showing in the UI for auto-update for RBR850 is: V3.2.10.11
  2. On the website however, they have a new version: V3.2.11.2
  3. However, the RBR850 will not auto update it. 
  4. I did manually update it, but it didnt fix this problem.

Now for the Outdoor Satellite:

1. There IS a new Firmware for that device showing on the website, RBS50Y Firmware Version 2.5.2.104 (Orbi Mode)
  2. However, there is no way to update it unless you are successfully synced with the main router. There is no external port or any other way to connect to it in Orbi Mode
  3. If you try to connect to in extender mode, it will only let you update the Extender Mode firmware

I upgrade form Linksys Velop almost exclusively because Netgear offered the outdoor extras, so I am now stuck having to return a few thousand dollars worth of new equipment. I will now go back to my Linksys system which has not given me ONE problem ever, which I was going to give to my neighbor.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 8 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

NG hasn't made any of the Orbi AC satellites forward compatible with Orbi AX. So you'll have to wait for NG to put this into effect. We have no idea if or when that will happen. For RBS50 units, they can be connected via ethernet only. I would have make sure first weather or not the RBSY was compatible with Orbi AX before buying an Orbi AX system. Would have saved you time and money. 

Good Luck. 

@ttnoewoc wrote:

To make matters worse:

1. The current firmware showing in the UI for auto-update for RBR850 is: V3.2.10.11
  2. On the website however, they have a new version: V3.2.11.2
  3. However, the RBR850 will not auto update it. 
  4. I did manually update it, but it didnt fix this problem.

Now for the Outdoor Satellite:

1. There IS a new Firmware for that device showing on the website, RBS50Y Firmware Version 2.5.2.104 (Orbi Mode)
  2. However, there is no way to update it unless you are successfully synced with the main router. There is no external port or any other way to connect to it in Orbi Mode
  3. If you try to connect to in extender mode, it will only let you update the Extender Mode firmware

I upgrade form Linksys Velop almost exclusively because Netgear offered the outdoor extras, so I am now stuck having to return a few thousand dollars worth of new equipment. I will now go back to my Linksys system which has not given me ONE problem ever, which I was going to give to my neighbor.

Message 9 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

RBS50Yv2 has no Ethernet Port

There is NOTHING on the product pages anywhere for RBS50Yv2 that tells you it is not compatible with new Orbi Routers. So while its a nice suggestion to have done my research, how much research should I have done?

The current data sheet says:

What Do I Need for Orbi Mesh Extender to Work?
• Any WiFi router or Orbi Router/
Orbi WiFi System
• High-speed Internet connection

In fact, tier one support spent TWO hours with me on the phone trying to make it work before the gave up and told me the next day that they are not compatible, so it isnt' widely known even inside NG.

Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 10 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

It's been mentioned in the forums that Orbi AC RBS are not compatbile with Orbi AX. I wish NG support could have and should have known this. Sorry for that. Could have not wasted time and just let you know that there not compatible at this time. 

@Christian_R 

@ChristineT 

RBSYs do not and will not have a ethernet port as this would compromise the weather and envrionment seal design of the RBSY for out door use. 

If you need the RBSY to work, I would recommend not using the orbi AX system and revert to the Orbi AC system for compatibility. Again, we don't know if or when NG will make the Orbi AC satellites compatible. So until then either use the Orib AX system with out any Orbi AC RBS or return the Orbi AX system and revert to Orbi AC. 

Good Luck. 

Message 11 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

Here is what support told me, from my support ticket:

Online Comment

2020-05-13 23:42:06

I spoke with agent today, and was informed that this Orbi outdoor satellite is not compatible with my new Orbi Router. I was informed that firmware update would be released to ensure compatibility. No timeline was given but was told it was likely a matter of weeks and not months. I will retained my product for a while to wait for this firmware update.

So according to them, they would be releasing a Firmware update soon to address this incompatiblity. 

I am only curious: If the firmware update will be for the router, no problem. If it will be an update for the Outdoor Satellite, I am not clear how it can be updated for all the reasons noted earlier.
Message 12 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I can only presume Orbi AX will be getting a FW update first to help make the RBSY compatible enough to get the RBSY connected long enough for a follow up FW update for the RBSY. Other than this, connecting the RBSY to a compatible wifi router or orbi AC system would be the only other way to get the RBSY updated fully. 

Hopefully NG will get this out. No idea when though. Soon could be any time. I think NG has been saying "soon" for a while now. 

Message 13 of 39

Has anyone successfully deployed an RBS50Y in Extender Mode with Orbi AX? Also, I have two older RBS50Y's can anyone confirm if extender mode is just a firmware update that wokrs with all RBS50Y's or just newer ones?

Thanks.

Message 14 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

For for all RBSYs. Not sure about extender mode with Orbi AX though.

Message 15 of 39

Thanks for the response Furry, but I am not sure that is correct. I have two RBS50Ys (NOT V2) and neither will boot up in Extender Mode with the flashing blue light. Both will only boot in Orbi Mode. Both have Orbi Firmware 2.3.5.32. I have reset both and started from scratch. They only ever give me the flashing white lights for Orbi Sync. I have tried to manually update the Firmware to the Extender Firmware of 1.0.0.46 via both the Router login and the web Gui of the Satellites themselves. Since there are two of them whcih otherwise worked great with my previous RBK50 pakcage, I am begining to think the RBS50YV2 may be necessary for extender mode. If you beleive I have missed something, I am all ears.

Thanks

Message 16 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support to see what is needed for your RBSY and make sure what FW is needed. RBSY regardless of Rev version, take the same FW. Same goes with Orbi AC v1 and v2, theres only 1 FW set for both of those Rev versions. 

Good Luck. 

@RebelPeacock wrote:

Thanks for the response Furry, but I am not sure that is correct. I have two RBS50Ys (NOT V2) and neither will boot up in Extender Mode with the flashing blue light. Both will only boot in Orbi Mode. Both have Orbi Firmware 2.3.5.32. I have reset both and started from scratch. They only ever give me the flashing white lights for Orbi Sync. I have tried to manually update the Firmware to the Extender Firmware of 1.0.0.46 via both the Router login and the web Gui of the Satellites themselves. Since there are two of them whcih otherwise worked great with my previous RBK50 pakcage, I am begining to think the RBS50YV2 may be necessary for extender mode. If you beleive I have missed something, I am all ears.

Thanks

Message 17 of 39
prrrtpieptoet
Initiate

For everybody out there trying to sync an RBS50Y satellite and an RBR850 router:

After many attempts and some contact with NG Support, I managed to get this working, As it turns out, there are a couple of very important thing to keep in mind (at least valid at the time of writing):

• NG support confirmed RBS50Y and RBR850 can sync in Extender mode only. Orbi mesh mode is currently not supported.
  • AX mode on the RBR850 does not have to be disabled.
  • Extender mode only works on the main wireless network, not on the RBR850's guest network.
  • 5GHz wifi only works in Indoor mode (makes sense to me as 5GHz is tri-band, just like indoor mode is. Outdoor mode is dual-band, but I don't know why these modes are called Indoor and Outdoor, radio frequency legislation maybe?).
  • 5GHz between RBR850 and RBS50Y only works when going through the RBS50Y's Extender setup wizard. Just enabling 5GHz on the RBS50Y after setup is not enough (it will make the RBS50Y broadcast 5GHz but there is no 5GHz connection with the RBR850).
  • RBS50Y FW 1.0.0.46  / RBR850 FW 3.2.15.25.

The setup sequence that did it for me:

1. Boot RBS50Y in Extender mode: switch off RBS50Y with the power button, then press and hold the sync button while pressing and releasing the power button. Wait until led flashes blue and white before releasing the sync button. If the led is now blinking white, repeat this sequence. If the led is now blinking blue, proceed.
  2. Wait until the led is solid blue.
  3. Find wireless network NETGEAR_EXT and connect to it. If the network is not visible, press and release the RBS50Y's sync button.
  4. In a browser, go to mywifiext.local
  5. Start setup and when asked, choose manual setup for connecting the RBS50Y and the RBR850.
  6. Update RBS50Y's firmware if applicable (see menu on left).
  7. Enable 5GHz wifi (see menu left).
  8. Click the top item on the menu left. Start wizard to sync RBS50Y and RBR850.
  9. After setup, see if RBS50Y is connected as a device to RBR850 (it's not a satellite). If it is, copy it's ip address and navigate to it in a browser to check it's status.

Hope this helps anyone.

Grtz!

Message 18 of 39

That is good info, thanks. I can not get my RBS50Y's to go into external mode. I am begining to think this has to do with the sync button "lockout" being left in place from my previous network with my old RBR50's. Does anyone know how to re-enable the sync button function on an outdoor satellite if you no longer have the orignal Orbi router it was synced with?

Message 19 of 39
prrrtpieptoet
Initiate

I'm sure you already tried the reset button, so I won't suggest that 😉 What I did when I really got desperate, was turning the RBS50Y off using the power button. Then I pushed and held both the sync and the reset button while pressing and releasing the power button again. That resulted in the RBS50Y showing a continuous amber led, leaving me puzzled what that was supposed to mean. I thought I might had bricked the RBS50Y, but after that Orbi/Extender firmware swapping still worked. Maybe that helps? Otherwise I think you may be right about the sync button being disabled and I'm all out of suggestions...sorry.

Message 20 of 39
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @RebelPeacock

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information @prrrtpieptoet provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 21 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

Well, after waiting two months for a fix or firmware update, I just returned my Outdoor Satellite for a refund, and I was VERY unhappy about doing so. The rest of the one-thousand dollars + I spent was in large part motivated by the Outdoor Satellite component and was not happy I couldnt get it to work. 

Sorry to say, Netgear support did nothing for ME, provided no solutions, and just said a firmware update would be pending.

Glad to hear SOMEONE managed to hack this 🙂

Message 22 of 39
skyward1
Apprentice

I returned mine long ago (I was the one who started this).  You would think Netgear would have made a fix for this way before now.  It seems that NG is using the Community to figure out their fixes.  It is still in workaround status.  There is no fix.  Netgear should manufacture a new product that will work with an AX system, and GIVE that new product to anyone who complained about the RBS50Y's inability to properly mesh with their Orbi AX!

I originally bought my RBS50Y to go with my RBR850.  It did not do what the ad eluded to, tech support was worthless (still are) and gave me some false information about a firmware fix that still has yet to hapen.  Afterwards, I returned the item for a refund.

Message 23 of 39
ttnoewoc
Star

Yes you did and thank you for that!

It is on the website now, buried in the spec details, that this is not compatible with AX > "Note: Only supports ac routers." but you have to definitely look for it, and of course the average consumer wouldn't even catch that (or understand what it means).

Kind of goes against the idea of calling this an Orbi "System" at all

Message 24 of 39
Ajl766
Aspirant

Thank you
Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 19 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7