Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Configuring Orbi 753 for Open VPN

Kdepot
Aspirant

Configuring Orbi 753 for Open VPN

I found this post which exactly explains my problem,"The smartphone OpenVPN setup zip file generated by the Netgear system creates 4 files.  There is no way to open these files directly in the iPhone OpenVPN app, as the app can only open one file."  Apparently  , from a solution provided by someone else, the user must be knowledgeable enough to copy the certificates and key, and paste them into the OpenFile.  They file must be formatted appropriately else OpenVPN cannot parse the file.  I am not able to figure out how to do this.  Can the files provided by Netgear be made to work as they should?  Or can someone explain in simple detail what I need to do to get the profile certificates provided by Netgear into the Open VPN app?

Message 1 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kdepot wrote:

I found this post which exactly explains my problem,"The smartphone OpenVPN setup zip file generated by the Netgear system creates 4 files.

It might be worth going through the procedure again.  On my original (ancient) Orbi, the smartphone process creates a zip file containing only one file "smart_phone.ovpn".  The Windows process creates a zip file containing four files, and the non-Windows process creates a zip file containing five files.

I am thus 99% certain that the post being referenced is incorrect.  (Not having a 750, I cannot go through the steps myself. Netgear has been including OpenVPN in their WiFi router products for years.  Seems a stretch that after all this time, this would have changed.)

Message 3 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies. I’m trying this on an iOS platform and I’ve tried to get the files to open with the Open VPN app and it’s a no go.
Message 4 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kdepot wrote:
get the files to open with the Open VPN app and it’s a no go.

According to OpenVPN, the iOS app wants one file with an extension ovpn.

https://openvpn.net/vpn-server-resources/faq-regarding-openvpn-connect-ios/#i-am-having-trouble-impo... 

The discussion is in terms of creating files on MacOS and transferring them to iOS, but the central theme is "one file named *.ovpn".

I sincerely think it would be worth a few minutes to go back and generate the 'smartphone' configuration file again.

Message 5 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

I have tried multiple times downloading the file client.ovpn, transfering to my iPad and opening with the OpenVPN app and every time it just says, fails to parse profile: ca.crt, client.crt, client.key 

I don't understand the discussion on combining the files into one.  When I open them with a text editor, the formats don't quite match the example on the page you suggested and I'm not knowledgeable enough to figure out how to cominne the file, although I did try unsuccessfully.

Message 6 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kdepot wrote:

I have tried multiple times downloading the file client.ovpn, transfering to my iPad and opening with the OpenVPN app and every time it just says, fails to parse profile: ca.crt, client.crt, client.key 

Perhaps we are describing different files.  On my Orbi, on the web interface, advanced tab, advanced settings menu, I select VPN Service and get a page that looks like this:

vpn.JPG

I click on the button "For Smart Phone", which causes the Orbi to download a file to my PC titled smart_phone.zip.  Inside that file is one text file called smart_phone.ovpn.  I extract that ovpn file and transfer it to my smart phone (or tablet).  I never get anything called "client.ovpn".

If this is the method you are using to get the ovpn file, then Netgear must have changed something.

Message 7 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

Yes, Netgear has changed something, or the app for iOS is not working, but it doesn't work and combining files is not user friendly for the majority.  Hopefully they will fix something.

Message 8 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

(I wish to hell they had not included those 'combining' instructions.)  Combining the various parts of an OpenVPN configuration would be useful to a person who had downloaded the windows.zip file, rather than the smart_phone.zip file and was trying to create a smartphone configuration from the various pieces. 

I need to ask someone who owns a 750 to comment.  (Once people see a post has several comments, they often think, "Oh, somebody is already on that. I'll look elsewhere.")

Message 9 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

You are entirely correct.  Netgear changed the contents of the smart_phone.zip file.  I asked another user who has an Orbi 750 to enable OpenVPN on his Orbi.  He did so and created this pdf explainiing how it went:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ADnoODW%2DXRr85TA&cid=A2629A70AD5E0250&id=A2629A70AD5E0250%212... 

It is truly a humbling experience thinking "I know all about that", only to find that I do not.

Can you please duplicate his experience and see if it works on your Orbi?

Message 10 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this in any online KB @CrimpOn ? If not, maybe we can get NG to put something up if this truely works.

@CrimpOn wrote:

You are entirely correct.  Netgear changed the contents of the smart_phone.zip file.  I asked another user who has an Orbi 750 to enable OpenVPN on his Orbi.  He did so and created this pdf explainiing how it went:

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21ADnoODW%2DXRr85TA&cid=A2629A70AD5E0250&id=A2629A70AD5E0250%212... 

It is truly a humbling experience thinking "I know all about that", only to find that I do not.

Can you please duplicate his experience and see if it works on your Orbi?

Message 11 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

There is SO MUCH that is not on line.  I expect Netgear thinks people will follow the directions for whichever product they happen to be running.

Message 12 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Lets check this out. If it works as expected, will request NG to put this up. 

Message 13 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

The Onedrive file was not available when I tried to view it?  Can someone get annther link or post the file?  Pretty soon I'm just going to give up on the VPN idea and use my phone as a hotspot when traveling, slow as it is.  Would still like to get a VPN working though.

Message 14 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

You are so right.  The pdf is no longer available to me either.  I have asked him (she? it?) to send a new link.

The essence was that all of the files were copied to the smartphone and then he told OpenVPN Connect to open the *.ovpn file and somehow it "found" the remaining files automatically.

Message 15 of 21
Mikey94025
Hero

Here is the PDF attachment (I grabbed it earlier).

Message 16 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

That procedure doesn't work in iOS on an iPad.  At this point I've spent too much time fussing with this and I'm giving up on it.  I'll go through a paid VPN service if I decide that I really want to use a VPN, but it's disappointing that the feature doesn't work.  If someone at Netgear monitors any of the discussion on here, it would be worthwhile if they addressed this.  

Message 17 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

Here it is: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlACXq1wmmKigYuSEycGYfy3-CDlMNI?e=Nc9BkE 

Please let me know when you have downloaded it.  Unlike me, he  doesn't like to leave items "up" for a long time. (I have some stuff that has been on DropBox for years.)

Message 18 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025 wrote:

Here is the PDF attachment (I grabbed it earlier).

Sorry. I missed this post. (My Bad)

Message 19 of 21
Kdepot
Aspirant

Any suggestions on VPN services that folks have had hands on experience with?

Message 20 of 21
CrimpOn
Guru

@Kdepot wrote:

Any suggestions on VPN services that folks have had hands on experience with?

Probably would help to describe the reason for using a VPN.

• OpenVPN host capability is included in residential routers for the purpose of allowing owners access to resources on the local LAN when they are away.
  • Many VPN products route everything through the VPN when it is active, which leads to the option to allow access to the internet through the VPN.
  • This is clearly less efficient and lower performance because every packet has to make the round trip to the residential router two times.
    (from client through VPN to router. from router to internet resource. from internet to router. through VPN to client.)
  • Using a commercial VPN product avoids that round trip, but also has no way to access resources on the local LAN.
  • Some users use the OpenVPN host capability to mask their location.  For example, they may live somewhere that does not allow streaming something, but have access to another system located where that stream is allowed.  "See. I'm at home streaming my Netflix. Not in France."
  • The conventional reasons for using VPN when away from home are much less relevant than they were before almost every web site got encrypted.

If the goal is not access to local resources or to mask location, but only to avoid paying $5/month for VPN, I tend to agree that the effort is not worth it.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7