Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configuring the Orbi RBK752 kit with an at&t Fiber BGW320-500 Gateway

JoseLopez
Aspirant

Configuring the Orbi RBK752 kit with an at&t Fiber BGW320-500 Gateway

Hello everyone,

My name is José.

I am a new member.

I am seeking advise from anyone here that can help me with the setup and configuration of an Orbi RBK752 system with an AT&T Fiber Modem/Router BGW320-500.

My home has a main ground level floor and a basement.

When it was built a few years ago it was wired with high-speed Coaxial and Ethernet throughout. 

The Distribution Wiring Panel is in the basement.

The AT&T Fiber Gateway is also in the basement. The AT&T installer brought it in from the AT&T junction box on the street to the distribution panel in the basement. 

The Orbi RBR750 Router will be in the main floor above the basement, and will be connected to the AT&T Fiber gateway via Ethernet cable through the structure.

The WiFi signal from the Fiber gateway in the basement is very weak on the main floor, but still detectable. 

I don't want to have two separate WiFi networks broadcasting and conflicting with each other. 

I have read different opinions on the internet about what the best configuration should be.

I also spoke with Netgear's Tech Support, and was told there are three ways to do this:

1) Put the AT&T Router in Bridge Mode.

2) Turn-off the AT&T Router's WiFi radio.

3) Leave the AT&T Router alone as it was configured by the installer, and configure the Orbi Router with the Mobile App.

I am a bit confused as to which method will work most efficiently.

If anyone here in this community can shed some light on this subject, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!

Best regards,

José

Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Configuring the Orbi RBK752 kit with an at&t Fiber BGW320-500 Gateway

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. Not all modems are bridgable.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
Try option #2 first...
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

Message 2 of 11
Phyber
Luminary

The AT&T fiber gateways do not have a Bridge Mode option so you need to use pass-through. Once you have it setup in pass-through you can configure the RBK752 to handle all of the routing duties and WiFi. You can still use the gateway for wired connections if you want. Hardwire your satellites to the RBR750 with ethernet and you should be fine. That's what I do but I don't have AT&T so I'm free to use my own equipment (modem).

Message 3 of 11
JoseLopez
Aspirant

Thank you!

Message 4 of 11
JoseLopez
Aspirant

Thank you both FURRYe38 and Phyber.

I apprecite your taking the time to respond.

José

Message 5 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out for you. 

Message 6 of 11
JoseLopez
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38,

Please, allow me to bother you one more time with another question.

After having read the articles you shared with me earlier, I have learned that once the AT&T Gateway's WiFi radios are turned off, and the Orbi router is configured as an Access Point, the following features become "unavailable" on the Orbi router:

• Guest Network
  • Setup Wizard
  • Port Forwarding/Port Triggering
  • Remote Management
  • UPnP
  • IPv6
  • Traffic Meter
  • Parental Controls
  • Circle
  • Netgear Armor
  • Block Sites
  • Block Services
  • VPN Service
  • VLAN/IPTV Setup
  • Internet Setup
  • WAN Setup
  • LAN Setup
  • Access Control
  • QoS
    My question is: If I will lose the above-listed features; does it make a difference whether I just turn-off the WiFi radios on the AT&T Gateway and proceed to configure the Orbi router as an Access Point, or, configure the AT&T router with IP Pass-Through and then configure the Orbi router as an Access Point?
    Please advise. Thank you.
    José
Message 7 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

You have two options, you can use the Orbi system in AP mode. No IP pass thru needed for AP mode. Or use the Orbi system in router mode, then use IP Pass thru for the Orbi system in AP mode.

Also FYI, NG document needs to be upated, Guest Network is not supported in AP mode. 

Message 8 of 11
JoseLopez
Aspirant

Hello FURRYe38 and Phyber,

Once again, thank you for having taken the time to respond to my posting, I appreciate it.

Everything is working well.

I would like to share the process I followed to complete the configuration of the AT&T Fiber Gateway BGW320-500 with the NETGEAR Orbi RBK752 Combo (RBR750 Router + 1 RBS750 Satellite), in case it can benefit someone else under the same circumstances.

Note: The Orbi router located in the main floor of the house is connected to the AT&T Gateway located in the basement via ethernet cable (pre-wired home structure).

Before starting, ensure you have handy the BGW320's IP Address (default should be 192.168.1.254), and Access Code, as well as the Orbi router's MAC Address.

1. Ensured Orbi was in DHCP mode.

2. Disconnected everything from the BGW320.

3. Connected the Orbi and my laptop directly to the BGW320. 

4. Logged into the BGW320 via browser.

5. Under the Device List Tab "cleared" and "rescanned" for devices. 

6. Under the Firewall Tab enabled IP Passthrough.

7. Selected Allocation Mode: Passthrough.

8. Selected Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-fixed.

9. Opened/selected in drop-down menu Passthrough Fixed MAC Address: Orbi's MAC Address. If it does not show, enter the MAC Address manually. In fact, one of the instructions I found recommends entering the MAC Address manually, bypassing the drop-deown menu selection.

10. Clicked on "Save".

For me it took after the first attempt, but in case it does not, it is recommended to go to the Device Tab and restart.

Regards,

José

Message 9 of 11
JoseLopez
Aspirant

I forgot to mention that the Orbi router is now operating as my "main router" with the WAN IP Address obtained from the ISP.

It is NOT configured as an Access Point (AP).

José

Message 10 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7