Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect RBR/RBS50 to RBR750

WallyMV
Tutor

Connect RBR/RBS50 to RBR750

Numerous posts in this community say that it is possible to connect the RBR50 and RBS50 (AC3000) routers and satellites by wired backhaul to the RBR750 (AX4200) and use them as satellites to extend coverage.  After purchasing the RBK752 package and failing to succesfully connect them, Netgear now tells me there is no connection possible, wired or not.

Very dissappointed: my AC3000 units were functioning fine.  I wanted to extend my network to a separate building (with 200 feet of buried Cat 7 cable) and could not find another RBS50 satellite so I upgraded.  Now may be forced to buy another RBS750 satellite, spending hundreds of dollars I apparently did not need to.

I guess buyer beware.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

RBS AC series are NOT wirelessly compatible with Orbi AX Systems.

Ethernet, you maybe able to connect the RBS50 via ethernet cable to the back of the RBR and see if they connect. There has been a few users connecting them this way in the past. Not sure if newer FW may not work though. 

Message 2 of 6
WallyMV
Tutor

I tried an ethernet connection from the RBR750 to the RBS50.  While the satellite appears in the orbilogin admin page as a wired connection, the Backhaul Status message is Out of Sync.  As soon as I plug it into my network, my mobile device tries to connect and provides an Authentication Error and I lose connection to the wifi. As manual sync of the satellite when connected give me a Satellite Setup Failed message.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Unplug the RBS and factory reset it. Turn it OFF. 

Then remove any RBS50 entry on the RBRs web page. 

Power ON the RBS with the RBS connected to ethernet to the back of the RBR...

Possible that v4 FW may have made the RBS50 not compatible on ethernet now. 

Message 4 of 6
WallyMV
Tutor

That worked. RBS50 now connected to RBR750 via ethernet.

The RBS50 password is different, and appears to operate as separate wifi from the RBR/RBS750. Tried to sync, reboot, and the RBS50 maintains its factory set password.  Not fatal, but annoying.  I have to force mobile devices to switch given some overlap in signal.

The RBR50 however will not connect, even when factory reset and ethernet connected.

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

@WallyMV wrote:

That worked. RBS50 now connected to RBR750 via ethernet.

The RBS50 password is different, and appears to operate as separate wifi from the RBR/RBS750. Tried to sync, reboot, and the RBS50 maintains its factory set password.  Not fatal, but annoying.  I have to force mobile devices to switch given some overlap in signal.

Probably not syncing fully and getting the log in info from the 7 series. 

The RBR50 however will not connect, even when factory reset and ethernet connected.

RBRs can't work as RBS. You can use it as a separate SSID singal in AP mode, however I would advise against it. Keep it as a back up router in case something happens.

Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7