Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect RBS850 to another Satelite?

LBnKC
Guide

Connect RBS850 to another Satelite?

I have the NETGEAR Orbi Whole Home Tri-band Mesh WiFi 6 Add-on Satellite (RBS850) with a single satellite in the house.   I get fair coverage in the barn, however it it not dependable.  Can I add another satellite (RBS850 I think?) outside which would likely connect to the original satellite?

I understand that the Orbi would decide to which radio it wanted to connect, but is this a configuration I should try?  Based on the distances, it would be:

RBR850 -> RBS850 -> RBS850

My other option would be to use a point-to-point setup (have used the EnGenius dishes before) and then another single WAP in the barn, but a mesh setup would be simpler to maintain.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Connect RBS850 to another Satelite?

You can daisy chain satellites. They only recommend a 2 hop daisy chain but you can do it. 

in terms of outdoor satellites, they had ones for AC but I haven't seen any AX compatible satellites (yet?)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

how far away is the barn from the home? 

that's the key. If the backhaul doesn't have a decent connection, neither will the satellites. 

something you could try would be to buy a cheap 100ft ethernet cable and move the router to where the satellite in the home would be. Then put your signal satellite in the barn and see if it'd connection reliably with the backhaul. 

If it does, it should work. If it doesn't, then the point to point system would be the better option to go. 

A cheap way to test it. 

Message 2 of 8
LBnKC
Guide

@plemanssaid: >> how far away is the barn from the home?

About 75', the satelite to which it would connect is right next to a window with line of sight.

The wifi connection now is three bars (I know, not scientific, I'm not there right now.)  Is there any way to determine the backhaul strength?  You have not said that they will not work in that way, so may I assume a satellite will connect to a satellite if it has a better signal?

@plemanssaid: >> something you could try would be to buy a cheap 100ft ethernet cable and move the router to where the satellite in the home would be.

Since moving to the country I've discovered that simple things like "just grab an Ethernet cable" are harder than they used to be. 😉

"Best" would be a compatible outdoor satellite, but I've not seen any that seem to be compatible (AX).  Am I wrong?

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can daisy chain satellites. They only recommend a 2 hop daisy chain but you can do it. 

in terms of outdoor satellites, they had ones for AC but I haven't seen any AX compatible satellites (yet?)

Message 4 of 8
LBnKC
Guide

Thanks @plemans.  Now it's just up to the radio Gods to see if it will work in practice.  If not, maybe I can split the difference and put a satellite in an RF-transparent outdoor enclosure.

Message 5 of 8
LBnKC
Guide

What about a wired backhaul? I could use my point to point dishes to appear as an ethernet link, and then plug another satellite in at the other side? I have read a lot of conflicting information about using an ethernet backhaul for these.
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Should be able to do so. I've seen others use point to point systems and connect a satellite to them with success. I've never done it myself. 

Message 7 of 8
LBnKC
Guide

Well, what’s the worst thing that could happen? I will give it a try and see.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7