Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connect a satellite via LAN when out of range of the wifi network.

steveshead
Guide

Connect a satellite via LAN when out of range of the wifi network.

Hi there,

New user, new setup! I have just installed RBS850 with two included satellites - works like a charm for the house. I have a third satellite that I want to install in the shop. The shop is outside of the range of the wifi network - but - I have a LAN connection from the house to the shop. I have that LAN plugged into the ORBI router, and the computers in the shop that connect to the LAN are working.  I plugged the third satellite in and plugged in the LAN cable, but it won't connect. 

My question is, should I connect the third satellite to the wifi whilst it's in range, then move it to the shop and try to connect through the LAN, or something else?

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.

Cheers

Steve

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connect a satellite via LAN when out of range of the wifi network.

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can setup the satellite using a wired backhaul. I do it all the time. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

what switch/hub or wiring setup do you have going from gateway--->router---->switch/devices? How is it setup?

Message 2 of 10
steveshead
Guide

Thanks for the reply! The part that I'm not sure of is the satellite will be out of range from the Orbi wifi network. The KB article doesn't mention whether I should set it up wireless first, then move it to the shop and connect the LAN cable.

I have a CenturyLink modem - I've plugged the Orbi router into the first LAN port on the modem, then have a 6 port Netgear switch plugged into the Orbi router. From there I have a network cable that goes to the shop. 

Cheers

Steve

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

It's best to set up the RBS first wirelessly. Do this with the RBS near or in same room as the RBR. Then after it's connected and synced, plug in the RBS to the back of the RBR and let is sync over ethernet. Make sure it reports a "wired" status on the RBRs web page. If you see this, then you can power off the RBS and place at remote location. 

What is the model# of the switch you have? 

Message 4 of 10
steveshead
Guide

Ah - perfect, thanks - that makes sense. The Netgear is a GS308v3.

Cheers

Steve

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok kewl. Ya that switch should work fine. 

Message 6 of 10
steveshead
Guide

I'm gonna try that later today - work is getting in the way of that fun right now! 🙂

Thanks for the assist!

Cheers

Steve

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 10
steveshead
Guide

Took a bit to get it setup, but it's working like a charm. Thanks again for the assist.

Cheers

Steve

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7