Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Correct order of steps in replacing Centurylink C3000Z with Orbi RBK852 router

DudeDah
Aspirant

Correct order of steps in replacing Centurylink C3000Z with Orbi RBK852 router

I'm sure this is a dumb question but I'm worried about screwing something up. My ISP's modem/router is a Zyxel c3000z. I have found by going into its configs via a web browser I can turn off the "wireless radio" for both the 2.4 and 5Ghz networks. I can also then go and toggle "ISP Protocol" in "WAN settings" to "Transparent Bridging". My question is, when I am setting up my ORBI router into AP mode and the radial buttons appear under "Choose IP Address settings on this access point", I know I should click the button that says "get dynamically from existing router" BUT...do I do this BEFORE I change my ISP modem/router into Bridge mode or AFTER? Meaning will the ORBI get the IP Address dynamically from the ISP modem/router if it has been essentially turned OFF and into Bridge mode?

Besides these, what other steps I am overlooking or what information will I need to get everything back online once I make this switch.

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Correct order of steps in replacing Centurylink C3000Z with Orbi RBK852 router

If it had been synced already, yes, just power it ON. I'd give it several minutes to connect and sync fully. I noticed with mine today, the RBS rebooted a 2nd time before it connected fully and the front LED turned OFF. 5-10 minutes the RBS should be connected. Check the RBRs Connected Devcies page to see it it connects. You can check the modems web page as well to see if it gets an IP address like the RBR. IT should. 

View solution in original post

Message 26 of 32

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Correct order of steps in replacing Centurylink C3000Z with Orbi RBK852 router

If your using AP mode on the Orbi system, then you'll need to leave the ISP modem in router mode. Not bridged. 

Orbi AP mode:

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Then should I just disable the the "radios" on the 2.4/5 Ghz on the ISP modem? Would you mind explaing why I don't want to run the ISP modem/router bridged?

I appreciate your time!

Message 3 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes definately disable the wifi radios on the modem thats in router mode. 

AP mode on the Orbi needs IP address and internet services from a host router when in AP mode. These features are disabled when in AP mode. 

Message 4 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Ok great. Do you recommend unplugging the Satellite and performing the change to AP mode on the Router first and then plug the Satellite back in and let it connect to the Router or does it matter. I have noticed that when rebooting the Router it seems to work best to disconnect the Satellite and any ethernet cables attached to it, then, after the Router has rebooted, plug the Satellite back in, let it connect to the Router, and then plug any ethernet cables back into the Satellite.

Also, sorry another NEWBIE question, since the ISP modem/router will still be in router mode but its Wifi networks have been disabled, will the network name be the one associated with the ISP modem/router or the one I have assigned to the ORBI?

Message 5 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

@DudeDah wrote:

Ok great. Do you recommend unplugging the Satellite and performing the change to AP mode on the Router first and then plug the Satellite back in and let it connect to the Router or does it matter. I have noticed that when rebooting the Router it seems to work best to disconnect the Satellite and any ethernet cables attached to it, then, after the Router has rebooted, plug the Satellite back in, let it connect to the Router, and then plug any ethernet cables back into the Satellite.

Yes you can turn OFF the RBS and configure the RBR for AP mode first. I recommend using a static IP address on the RBR and use a IP address outside of the default IP address range on the modem/router. Something like 192.168.#.85 is what I use when I set AP mode on mine. 

Also, sorry another NEWBIE question, since the ISP modem/router will still be in router mode but its Wifi networks have been disabled, will the network name be the one associated with the ISP modem/router or the one I have assigned to the ORBI? You can assign any SSID name to the wifi network on the Orbi. You can use same one as you had on the ISP modem if you like. 

Message 6 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Ok, thank you for your prompt replies. I am going to give this a go after we sign off for work today around the house, don't want to mess with the internet during work ;0)

Message 7 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 8 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Ok...Experienceing some major issues that are over my head to fix. Turned off the radios and rebooted the modem/router. Logged into my ORBI and turned on AP mode (getting IP address dynamically from existing router).

I think I may have conflicting IP address issues or something going on because into the modem I have connected a Netgear Nighthawk gaming switch that everything in my home office is connected to, I have a 21-port switch that all the data plugs in the house run to, and I have the RBR. If I have the Nighthawk and RBR connected to the modem, all is good, connected to the internet. When I plug the 21-port switch into the modem everything goes down. Internet status when logged into the ORBI says "disconnected".

What have I done wrong? 

Message 9 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

I alos tried this:

"Yes you can turn OFF the RBS and configure the RBR for AP mode first. I recommend using a static IP address on the RBR and use a IP address outside of the default IP address range on the modem/router. Something like 192.168.#.85 is what I use when I set AP mode on mine."

By clicking "Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not recommended)" and assigning an IP adress like you mentioned but I got a message saying it was out of my subnet...which...I'm dumb and don't know what tha means. 

Message 10 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

I just ran a test and unplugged the ORBI and plugged in the 21-port switch and now everything connected to that switch runs great. So do I assign a IP to the ORBI that is WITHIN the subnet but like ate the 192.168.#.999 or something?

Message 11 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

If you set the RBR for Dynamic IP address for AP mode, then you can set a IP address reservation ON the modem/router for the RBR. Which would be recommended. Also set one for the RBS as well.

Message 12 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

First off thank you for your patience...

So I can log into and look at my modem configs and see all the deviecs that are connected to it and their IP addresses. Do I just pick two (one for RBR one for RBS) that aren't already being used? 

Also...again, total newbie to networking...I'm not exactly sure where to get the other values to fill in for the fields when choosing dynamic AP mode (IP/IP sub/gateway/Primary DNS/Secondary DNS). Is there are general location in my modem configs that I should look to get those values?

Message 13 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

@DudeDah wrote:

First off thank you for your patience...

So I can log into and look at my modem configs and see all the deviecs that are connected to it and their IP addresses. Do I just pick two (one for RBR one for RBS) that aren't already being used? Yes. The modem may have already assigned something to them. You can use what the modem assigned or pick something thats not being used. 

Also...again, total newbie to networking...I'm not exactly sure where to get the other values to fill in for the fields when choosing dynamic AP mode (IP/IP sub/gateway/Primary DNS/Secondary DNS). Is there are general location in my modem configs that I should look to get those values? If you choose Dynamic mode for AP mode on the RBR, you don't have to fill in anything. The RBR will get what it needs from the modems router. 

Message 14 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

In the AP mode settings, when I choose "Get dynamically from existing router" AP mode is not working for me. I thought you meant that when setting up AP mode I should choose "Enable fixed IP settings on this device (not recommended)" and then enter an IP address not currently being used by anohter device on the network, but then the interface asks for those other values.

Message 15 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, yes, then you would get those from the host router the RBR is connecting too. You'll need to review the host routers configuration. 

Gateway Address is usually the IP address of the host router, 192.168.#.1.

Subnet Mask address is usually 255.255.255.0.

DNS can be the host routers IP address, ISP specific DNS addresses seen by the host router or any custom DNS like Googles, Cloudfare or quad 9. 

Message 16 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Ok I'll give that a shot "after hours". I can see in my modem configs the IP address it has given the RBR in Router Mode, can I use that IP address for the RBR when I ATTEMPT AP Mode again or will there be a conflict?

Message 17 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Try it. 

Message 18 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

Tried it. Gave it the IP address that was assigned to it by my modem. Entered correct sub/gateway/DNS values. Orbi reboots and light turns pink then eventually turns off. I have a Google hub Max next to my desk and it keeps having and losing the internet connection. When I enter the RBR IP address into my browser (connected to to the RBR via wifi) to try and acces the RBR to admin it nothing happens.

Message 19 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Does trying orbilogin.com or .net access the RBR? 

What is the IP address that was given to the RBR from the modem? 192.168.?.?

Message 20 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

That URL just brings up a page that says I'm not connected to my OrbI's network.

I'm just so confused at this point...I get a little bit of understanding each time but this is just super frustrating. Modem gave the RBR .130 so I gave it that, then the modem assigned it .129 and now it so tried to connect via .129 but the modem had assigned that to a Sonos device...I obviously don't know what I'm doing.

Message 21 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok so we need to know the IP address number seen here for the RBR, 192.168.?.130

Wondering if this is a .1.130? 

What IP address does a wired PC get when you have it connected to the RBR? IT should be possibly a 10.0.0.something...

Message 22 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

When I started the process I noticed in my modem configs the RBR had been assigned 192.168.0.130 when the RBR was in Router mode. So when I tried to put the RBR in AP Mode I gave it that IP with the correct gateway/subnet/DNS values. After it rebooted and looked at the configs of my modem I am either seeing it as 192.168.0.129 or NOT AT ALL. Now I am seeing .129 being assigned to a SONOS device and .130 was being assigned to somethins with a different MAC address than the RBR.

I'll have to plug a laptop into the RBR and see what I get but the light switches on and off intermitantly from Pink to off and the Google Hub goes in and out of being connected and the only wifi network in the house that it could possibly connect to is the Orbi.

Message 23 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, so the modem is running 192.168.0.something on it's LAN network which is fine since the Orbi runs 192.168.1.something on it's LAN side with in router mode. This avoids any conflict here and is good. 

Trying to make this easy as possible for you. Remove any IP address configurations that you made for the RBR from the modem. Don't use DMZ or IP pass thru. Don't get a IP address configuration, just yet. If you can't seem to access the RBR in AP mode, factory reset it and get ot the home page. Then configure the RBR for AP mode and this time select Dymamic IP addressing on the RBR. Apply the change. The RBR should reboot here. If so, Power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minute then back ON. The front LED on the RBR should be PINK then hopefully turn BLUE or Turn OFF after the ISP modem comes back to ready...

You can check the ISP modems connected clients page to see what IP address was given to the RBR in AP mode. Use this IP address to access the RBRs web page. 

Message 24 of 32
DudeDah
Aspirant

OH.

EMM.

GEE!!!

I followed all of those steps exactly. Stayed pink for a WHILE but then checked the ISP modem configs and found the IP for the RBR. I used that IP and was able to log in. Clicked "advanced" then crossed my finger, toes, eyes...and clicked "router/AP mode" and...IT SAYS IT'S IN AP MODE!!! Can't believe it, FINALLY.

So now...I need to connect my Satellite. I have had it unplugged during this process and NORMALLY just plug it in and let it find the RBR. Is it that same process? Just plug it in and see what happens?

I CAN'T thank you enough for sticking with me on this. The easiest solution would have been for me to just use router mode, plug my various ethernet switches into the router and go BUT, I wanted to try and configure this the RIGHT way to get all my wired and wireless devices on the same network.

I think we're getting somewhere...

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7