Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Create a separate SSID for IoT devices on an RBR850?

johnsm2
Follower

Create a separate SSID for IoT devices on an RBR850?

A year ago I bought a 2-pack AX6000 Orbi (RBR850 and a satellite RBS850). I was tired of bad wifi and everyone suggested upgrading to a mesh system. It's been great and I was a fan of Orbi... BUT, I am shocked to now learn that with this "non-Pro" version there is no way to create an alternate SSID to segregate off IoT devices.  The RBR850 let's me create a "Guest SSID" only. 

Great. I bought this system only a year ago, paid a lot, and now I have to toss it and rebuy the similarly priced "Pro" version to get this basic secondary SSID functionality? I thought this was supposed to be good.  It feels like a high priced grandma version.

Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Create a separate SSID for IoT devices on an RBR850?

@johnsm2 wrote:

alternate SSID to segregate off IoT devices. 

It does appear that the SXK80 product has this feature.  Page 100 of the user manual states, "When you connect IoT devices to the IoT WiFi network, the devices cannot detect other devices that are connected to the network and cannot access the local area network(LAN)." 

It even has the "fan favorite" of different SSIDs for 2.4G and 5G WiFi.

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SXK80/Orbi_Pro_WiFi_6_UM_EN.pdf 

It will be interesting to hear customer experiences with this feature. I suspect that some IoT setup apps test for a valid connection (on the LAN) between the new device and the smartphone running the app, rather than communicating through the vendor "cloud" to complete the setup.  This works fine on the older Orbi products where devices on the primary WiFi can all communicate with each other.

The SXK80 appears to be marketed toward the commercial environment rather than typical residential use.  (separate SSIDs for administration, employees, IoT, guests; web page portal  for guests (like in hotels); VLANs; 5 year premium subscription to Insight; etc. etc.)

Message 2 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Create a separate SSID for IoT devices on an RBR850?

The non Pro Orbi systems have never supported separate SSIDs. Been like that for a long time. 

The 9 series now offers a separate IoT SSID just for IoT devices now thats off the main WLAN. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7