Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device not connecting to closest satellite

rkatanasho
Tutor

Device not connecting to closest satellite

Last week I bought AX6000  (AX6000 Tri-band) with 2 satellites to replace my Google Wifi as I upgraded my bandwidth to 1Gbps and wanted to take advantage of WiFi 6 higher. 

Hardware VersionRBR850

Firmware VersionV4.6.3.16_2.0.51

I live in a 2 story home that is roughly 200 square metres and I have the router on the ground level and 2 satellites upstairs (about 15-20metre away from the satellite).

I am now getting devices that are in the bedroom that are within 4metres of the Satellite connecting to the router downstairs and giving download speeds up to 50Mbps, though when it is connected to the satellite it test at 500Mbps+.

It seems random as initially it connected to the closed satellite and now even with reboots to both device and satellite, I can't get it to connect to it.

The challenge is that if the performance was good for Netflix and other streaming services when connected to main router then I dont have a problem (not great but can live with it); but the performance is not great.

The confifiguration options on the advanced Wifi are really limited to (same for 2.4G and 5G):

CTS/RTS Threshold (1-2347): 64

Preamble Mode: Automatic

Transmit Power Control: 100%

I don't want to reduce the transmit power on the main router as I need good coverage downstairs.

I never had an issue with the Google Wifi mesh and it just worked and I hope that someone here has good experience and can help provide some insights to make it work.

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

It's up to devices to pick and choose where they connect too. You would have to reduce the Transmit power from 100% to 50 or 25% as a test to see if this helps with getting some devices to connect to the RBS. 

Message 2 of 7
plemans
Guru

when using mesh systems, you can position the routers/satellites to close together and then devices don't roam properly. 

they need to be at least 30 ft apart. 

From my calculations, 200sq M is around 2150 sq ft. You might have been fine with just a router and a satellite for that size. For example, my home is 3200sq ft and I've only got a router/satellite and don't have any issues. 

But it also depends on what materials your home is made from. Certain materials block wifi better than others and if you're home is made from that material, it impacts the wireless backhaul. What are your interior walls made from? 

Message 3 of 7
rkatanasho
Tutor

Thanks for the help and response.

The satellites are more than 30 feet away (9metres +) from the router.

The internal of the house is wooden frame with Gyprock walls (with a level of insulation); though nothing like brick or concrete.

Do you know if the having a device connected via ethernet has an impact of the behaviour of the Wifi?

I have done some experimentations and found:

* when I removed the hardwired devise and reset the system, after a short period the Apple TV devise in the room connected to the closer satellite.

* As some of the devices were flactuating between the router 2.4G (further away) and 5G on either router of satellite, I configured the devices that allow to only be on signle 5G band and they now connect to the closed satellite.

For a very expensive devise (in AUD about $1750), i wasn't expecting these type of issues especially that I never had issues with the cheaper Google nest Wifi.

Message 4 of 7
rkatanasho
Tutor

Thanks for the details and response.

The satellites are more than 30 feet away (9metres +) from the router ( the router on ground level and 1 satellite on each end of the house on the level above). The internal of the house is wooden frame with Gyprock walls (with a level of insulation); though nothing like brick or concrete. The part that concerns me is not so much that it connects to the router that is further but rather the extremely dimished performance (from 500Mbps+ to 20-50Mbps that really impacts the streaming experience).

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try disabling devices wifi radios for 5 seconds then back while in the bedroom area. 

Reduce the RBR transmit power from 100% to 50%. 

Message 6 of 7
DJJW
Guide

Did reducing the transmit power work for you?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7