Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connecting to satellites?

Jeezy
Aspirant

Devices not connecting to satellites?

Hi all,

I am a new orbi RBK853 owner, i have successfully set everything and updated everything to the latest firmware.  I have noticed that my devices do not connect to the nearest satellite, they all appear to be connected to the main router only. I have rebooted the satellite and router but nothing appears to be connected to it and in the orbi app it does show the satellite is connected to the network.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Devices not connecting to satellites?

This is one of the top five topics on the forum.  The way WiFi works, the device chooses which WiFi access point to use.  When the system is rebooted, the router begins broadcasting the WiFi SSIDs (2.4G and 5G) significantly before the satellites do.  All of the WiFi devices in the house are watching WiFi channels waiting for a signal that they recognize to appear.  When one does, they connect.

Devices which are designed to be mobile (phones, tablets, laptops) typically continue scanning for a "better connection" and when they discover another WiFi access point that they know the password to, they switch.  Devices that are not expected to move around, frequently "latch on" to the first acceptable signal they find and quit looking.

It might be a useful experiment to confirm whether this is happening with your system.  i.e.

• When the smartphone is running the Orbi app, move very close to the satellite and wait a few minutes to see if the phone changes from the router to the satellite.  The Orbi system does not update the Connected Devices display frequently.  In my tests, it took about two minutes for an Android tablet to switch. (Why is dad walking upstairs and downstairs while staring at his tablet?)  My system has "Fast Roaming" enabled, which is a feature on the web administration for the original Orbi (RBR50). I believe that the newer AX models may have it on by default.
  • For one of the devices that does not move, disconnect it from WiFi and then reconnect while the WiFi system remains powered on.
    This is sometimes harder than it might seem.  Televisions, for example, do not actually "turn off" when the power button is pressed on the remote.  (If they actually turned off, how could they recognize the remote to turn back on?)
    This experiment would be easier to do with a Smart Plug.  Move it, plug it back into the wall, and see where it connects.

Aside from being annoying, does this phenomenon affect usage?  i.e. Do all the WiFi devices do what they are expected to do?

Message 2 of 6
Jeezy
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply.

It definitely does not connect to a satellite.  I am currently sitting right next to a satellite for the last 30 mins and it is still connected to the main router.  The only device i can see connected to the satellite is my pc which is connect with an ethernet cable.

I have a satellite upstairs to right next to my bedroom and my tv is connected to the router downstairs, not to the satellite. i have tried disconnecting my wifi from my device and reconnecting but no luck. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Jeezy wrote:

Thank you for your reply.

It definitely does not connect to a satellite.  I am currently sitting right next to a satellite for the last 30 mins and it is still connected to the main router.  The only device i can see connected to the satellite is my pc which is connect with an ethernet cable.

I have a satellite upstairs to right next to my bedroom and my tv is connected to the router downstairs, not to the satellite. i have tried disconnecting my wifi from my device and reconnecting but no luck. 

(The best thing about the community forum is the opportunity to learn things. Thanks for this adventure!)

It was time for more exercise, so I repeated the experiment. Along the way, I learned things.

First. The Orbi 'app' is a huge disappointment.

Opened the Orbi app and saw that my Samsung tablet was connected to the Guest WiFi network, which does not display the Orbi unit a device is using.  So, I went into Settings and changed to the primary WiFi network at 2:24. Sat staring at the Orbi app. 2:25, 2:26, 2:27. Still on the guest WiFi.  Opened the Orbi web administration Attached Devices.  at 2:27 it showed the tablet on the primary WiFi connected to the router (which sits five feet away).  2:28. 2:29, 2:30, 2:31, 2:32, 2:35.... Orbi app still has tablet connected to guest WiFi.

So, web interface (on the tablet) shows the tablet on primary WiFi. Orbi app shows it on guest.

At 2:34 walked downstairs to sit by the RBS50 satellite. At 2:36 the web Attached Devices changed to Orbi Satellite.  Orbi app still plugging away on the guest WiFi.

As I walked around, the tablet switched to an Orbi Voice in the garage. Even though I have returned upstairs to sit by the router, the tablet remains connected to the Orbi Voice. The Samsung WiFi settings is kind of cool. It displays all 8 access points that are broadcasting the primary SSID (one router, three satellites, 2.4G and 5G on each = 😎 Had not noticed that feature before!

I am not a good example, because I have a router and three satellites in less than 2,400 sq. ft. and they are all set to 100% Transmit Power.  (On my "To Do List" is to reduce the Transmit Power to 25% and create a new Heat Map of the house.  Someday....)

There is not a huge incentive for mobile devices to change access points.

Conclusion:  I was entirely wrong to suggest using the Orbi app for anything.  The only way to observe devices changing Orbi units is to either (a) have a device like the Samsung tablet that will show which AP it is using, or (b) use the Orbi web interface Attached Devices and "Refresh" the display about once a minute.  I am convinced that (at least one of) my mobile devices does change access points.

Message 4 of 6
Jeezy
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I have logged in through a webrowser to orbilogin.com and definitely no devices are connected to the satellite apart from my computer which is connected via ethernet.  Any other suggestions please?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

Also try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@Jeezy wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

I have logged in through a webrowser to orbilogin.com and definitely no devices are connected to the satellite apart from my computer which is connected via ethernet.  Any other suggestions please?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7