Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Directions for Port Forwarding don't match what's on my screen.

jc1742
Aspirant

Directions for Port Forwarding don't match what's on my screen.

I'm trying to follow the directions for setting up Port Forwarding on my new Orbi RBK753, but the directions seem to be wrong.  I've seen several comments like the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system, which work down to step 5.  Then step 6 says to select ADVANCED, which I do, and get a page that doesn't seem to contain the phrase "Advanced Setup" anywhere. There's "Advanced", and "Setup", but neither of them leads to a page that mentions "Port Forwarding".  I do see that the page is dated 03/29/2017, so I'm guessing that it's somewhat out of date.  But poking around more doesn't seem to help, and neither does copying the above phrases into a search widget; it just gets a whole load of pages that use those words but don't tell me how to make it work on my new gadget.

So does anyone know where I might find instructions for Port Forwarding that work on this current router?  Is there perhaps a way to restrict searches to only articles that have recent dates?  Or can I somehow limit the search to the model that I have?  It might help if there were an actual reference manual for it, but I haven't found any mention.

Meanwhile, I have a web site that is totally inaccessible to the public because the new RBK753 is blocking access from the outside world ...

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

It might help to open the Orbi web browser interface (http://orbilogin.net ) and log in with the administrative credentials, which are User Name "admin" and the administrative password that was set during configuration.

There will be two tabs on the Home Page:

• Basic
  • Advanced

Click on the Advanced Tab.  A number of menu choices will appear.  The bottom choice should be Advanced Setup.

Selecting that menu, there will be a number of choices including Port Forwarding / Port Triggering

That menu will open the page where ports can be forwarded to internal servers to make them available to connections from the internet.  Usually forwarding port 80 (http) or port 443 (https) is what is required.f

There is another way to accomplish this: name the web server as the Default DMZ server in the menu under Setup... WAN Setup.  This is not as secure because the DMZ server receives every connection attempt on every port.  If there is a security hole in that server, people on the internet are sure to find it.

This what you need?

Message 2 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

Here's also a picture matching CrimpOn's instructions and showing where the Port Forwarding controls can be found in the orbilogin.com admin website.  The submenu seems to be named "Advanced" now instead of "Advanced Settings".

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikey94025 Thanks for posting the screen shot.  I know that "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" (Emerson) but really? Some programmer just decides one day, "Advanced Settings" is silly.  I'll just change it to "Advanced".  Ah, much better."  Sort of like every router supporting DHCP options 60 and 61 until some guy thinks, "huh?  nobody needs THAT anymore.  I'll just take it out."

Message 4 of 8
jc1742
Aspirant

Somehow I'm not able to find my own postings here, so I don't know if my last attempt at a reply worked, so I'll add another.

The advice for finding  the Port Forwarding settings "worked" in a weak sense.  I was able to type in the info for forwarding HTTP (port 80) to our server (192.168.1.40).  But when I use my phone to connect as an outsider (setting it to only use the phone system, not the local wifi), there's a long pause, then it says it can't connect.

I just went to orbilogin.com, the ADVANCED -> Advanced -> Port Forwarding / Port Triggering pGFWE, and it still shows the "HTTP 80 80 192.168.1.40" line as before. But I see no sign that it does anything.  I don't see the common "Do It" sort of button that woulld tell the software to make the connection or whatever it's called here. The Port Forwarding stuff seems to have accepted it, and said nothing else. But connections from the outside still fail, so it's still in the "failed" category. 

What else can I do to diagnose this failure and/or fix it?

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@jc1742 wrote:

I'm trying to follow the directions for setting up Port Forwarding on my new Orbi RBK753, but the directions seem to be wrong.  I've seen several comments like the instructions at https://kb.netgear.com/31069/How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-on-my-Orbi-system, which work down to step 5.  Then step 6 says to select ADVANCED, which I do, and get a page that doesn't seem to contain the phrase "Advanced Setup" anywhere. There's "Advanced", and "Setup", but neither of them leads to a page that mentions "Port Forwarding".  I do see that the page is dated 03/29/2017, so I'm guessing that it's somewhat out of date.  But poking around more doesn't seem to help, and neither does copying the above phrases into a search widget; it just gets a whole load of pages that use those words but don't tell me how to make it work on my new gadget.

So does anyone know where I might find instructions for Port Forwarding that work on this current router?  Is there perhaps a way to restrict searches to only articles that have recent dates?  Or can I somehow limit the search to the model that I have?  It might help if there were an actual reference manual for it, but I haven't found any mention.

Meanwhile, I have a web site that is totally inaccessible to the public because the new RBK753 is blocking access from the outside world ...

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@jc1742 wrote:

I don't see the common "Do It" sort of button that woulld tell the software to make the connection or whatever it's called here. The Port Forwarding stuff seems to have accepted it, and said nothing else. But connections from the outside still fail, so it's still in the "failed" category. 

This is another example of the Orbi inconsistent interface.  Many operations require clicking the "Apply" button at the top of the page to have changes take effect, but the Port Forwarding does not. Once an rule has been created, it is operational.

I had assumed that the only change was replacing a router that forwarded ports to the web server with the RBK753.  Port forwarding has two requirements:

1. That the Orbi router be totally open to the internet, i.e. not "behind" another router (which would block incoming connections).
  2. That the target device is accepting connections.  Windows Firewall, for example, has separate rules for public networks (the internet) and private networks (the local LAN subnet).

As @FURRYe38 suggested, knowing what equipment is supplying internet to the RBR750 router will enable us to see if that device is actually a router.

Another step is to verify by using one of the internet sites that report open ports.  My favorite is Gibson Shields Up!

https://www.grc.com/intro.htm 

Message 7 of 8
Mikey94025
Hero

@jc1742 wrote:

Somehow I'm not able to find my own postings here, so I don't know if my last attempt at a reply worked, so I'll add another.

The advice for finding  the Port Forwarding settings "worked" in a weak sense.  I was able to type in the info for forwarding HTTP (port 80) to our server (192.168.1.40).  But when I use my phone to connect as an outsider (setting it to only use the phone system, not the local wifi), there's a long pause, then it says it can't connect.

You may have Double NAT but please follow the community FAQ instructions to verify that your port and server are exposed to the Internet properly.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7