Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dreaded Random Satellite Blue Light is Back

tucsontico
Virtuoso

Dreaded Random Satellite Blue Light is Back

After upgrading my RBR 750 and RBS's to V4.6.14.3 in Dec 2022, the system was rock solid and giving good WiFi speeds both inside and out side my house. I've only rebooted twice in 2 months! However, with the last 10 days I've noticed the satellites are showing a random blue light and dropping devices while the blue light is illuminated. I've been unable to pinpoint a time or situation that his is occurring, i.e., it doesn't appear to be associated with lease expiration, etc.. I have noticed that the satellites are changing 2.4 gHz band wireless mode speeds (see attached screenshot) at random as well. Any ideas?

Message 1 of 9
Phyber
Luminary

The blue light on the satellite means the connection between the satellite and router is good. The LED light will remain blue for about 3 minutes and then turn off. Are you sure your modem is not randomly losing connection for a few seconds causing your satellites to reconnect? I have the same system with 2 satellites but both of my satellites are hard wired back to the router if that makes a difference. Is it just the 2.4GHz band that displays a change? What about the router? Is the front White or Magenta or no color at all?

Message 2 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Yes, I understand that a blue light indicates "good connectivity" to the RBR. However, there is no indication that the RBR has lost connectivity to the modem. FWIW, my statistics page shows 16 days of "uptime" which correlates to my last reboot.

I have not seen the RBR display ANY lights when the sats are showing a blue light. As far as the speed difference goes, the 2.4 gHz band is the only one showing any connection speed change. There are times when sat 1 (closest to RBR) says it is running at "up to 500 Mbps" and sat 2 (wireless daisy chain to sat 1) shows a blank in that category (see attached screenshot). The 5 gHz band always shows "Up to 1200 Mbps". Not sure where to go with this. Right now it is an annoyance but the glitch does cause some disruption of devices. Especially my security cams. 😫

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tried powering OFF the RBS, then go in and select remove the RBS from the RBR web UI. Then go in and setup a new backhaul PW by selecting Generate new PW, I believe under Advanced Wireless settings, then using the RBRs Add Satellite UI option, re-sync the RBS to the RBR? I would do this with the RBS in same room as the RBR and one at a time. 

Message 4 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Furrye38,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have not done any troubleshooting to include even a simple reboot of my ORBI system. I was waiting to see if there were any ideas from the community to resolve my weird situation. However, since posting my problem, the RBSs have been "quiet". BTW, I did have an internet outage two days ago (after my post) that required a modem reboot, but I did not reboot my ORBI. I will first reboot my system, then attempt your "Remove, Regenerate and Replace" suggestion within the next 48 hours and report back results.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 6 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

Sorry for the delay in reporting back. Life got in the way of troubleshooting the annoying Sat Random Blue Light (RBL). I did a full reboot of my system, i.e., modem, router sats and 30+ WiFi devices. After a letting the entire system settle for 24 hours, I can happily report there have been no more RBLs noted.

I did notice that both my Sats are reporting the 2.4 gHz Wireless Mode as "Up to 240Mbps". Before the reboot, this was displaying "Up to 500 Mbps" on my closest Sat and "Up to 240 Mbps" on the furthest Sat. Possibly this mismatch of speeds was causing the RBL? Anyway, system is stable now with appropriate WiFi speeds all through my house and garage. 😁 Thanks for your help!

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I think the RBS now report a live or actual speed connection rather than what is actually supported so this speed being displayed seems to be based on the signal, distance and quality state of the RBS while connected wirelessly to the RBR. 

Message 8 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

👍

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements